• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    My revolver has the pin on the hammer, but it has the firing pin block, no problems leaving it on a chambered round. I am confident that it wouldn't go off if struck. I don't know what would cause the bowling ball to set it off in that link, but it did. If you are carrying an old enough revolver that it goes off if the hammer is struck, you need to leave it in a curio cabinet or something, it's unsafe. I don't know if firing pin blocks can malfunction, but they are man-made, so they probably could...?

Kirk is just saying carry in the manner where you are least likely to damage you or someone else. That would have to be on your hip OWB. Appendix, pocket, and shoulder are all in more dangerous positions. Ankle is better, but not as safe as on your hip. You are PLANNING for it to go off. It doesn't matter if it is unlikely. It's also unlikely that you will ever need your gun in a self defense situation. That doesn't mean you don't carry.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    im not really that up to date with all the hip highspeed shooting...ive just heard that in an adrenalized situation in your car, you are very likely to sweep yourself, therefore you should always have finger off trigger until youre ready to shoot....i dunno

You need to train enough to create muscle memory for this situation.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You are PLANNING for it to go off. It doesn't matter if it is unlikely.

Right on. Just like when you load or unload, anticipate the weapon discharging. The gun only has one job and that is to shoot, so expect it to fire.

If you plan for the worse you can mitigate the damage. No matter how many times you say "I'm sorry" that does not put the bullet back in the weapon.

Every time one of us does ourselves or others or another's property on fire, we all pay. Let us work to mitigate the damage.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Right on. Just like when you load or unload, anticipate the weapon discharging. The gun only has one job and that is to shoot, so expect it to fire.

If you plan for the worse you can mitigate the damage. No matter how many times you say "I'm sorry" that does not put the bullet back in the weapon.

Every time one of us does ourselves or others or another's property on fire, we all pay. Let us work to mitigate the damage.

Yep, it being accidental (malfunction) or negligent ( holster wear, no holster, draw string, etc ) doesn't change the fact that guns can and will go off. And they call for proof. I don't see how so many people on here can say it's unlikely so it doesn't matter. It sure as heck is going to matter when it happens. And for the sake of everybody, it hopefully goes into the ground or your seat, and not into your junk, into someones heart, or someones house.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yep, it being accidental (malfunction) or negligent ( holster wear, no holster, draw string, etc ) doesn't change the fact that guns can and will go off. And they call for proof. I don't see how so many people on here can say it's unlikely so it doesn't matter. It sure as heck is going to matter when it happens. And for the sake of everybody, it hopefully goes into the ground or your seat, and not into your junk, into someones heart, or someones house.

At least what I'm saying is its good to know what caused those NDs and then not do those things. However, if you avoid those things, you reduce the overall risk of an ND. Not that it doesn't matter, just that if you carry properly its such a remote concern that other factors overwhelm it.

No matter how you carry, you are going to sweep things you don't want destroyed. OWB, great. Ever sit in a recliner? Go to the second floor of a building? I guess my vertical shoulder holster is the safest holster for a gun to go off in (although it couldn't as there's not enough room for the hammer to go back without ripping stitching) and its not in line with any part of my body. Gravity also keeps it from tilting when I lean forwards or backwards, and the muzzle stays (mostly) downward. I don't carry in it because its too hard to get a clean and fast draw from. That is more important a factor to me than worrying about it somehow firing on its own.

To me, the risk mitigation is more about eliminating the chance of a ND occurring than pretending I can always have my carried weapon hanging over a sand barrel.

Top Bottom