• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I pocket carry with a BLACKHAWK! holster, and have had for a number of years, and I have yet to have a real problem. I suppose, no matter how one carries, that if you have a loaded gun on your person, there will always be a way in which the gun can be inadvertently set off.

One could have the safest driving record in the country, drive the most expensive and mechanically sound automobile on the planet, and still have an accident.

My point is that we will all carry the way we feel is best for us, but we do need to be aware of the possible dangers or advantages to each and every method of carry, then train accordingly.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    The poster quoted from the four cardinal rules of safe gun handling.

A gun in the holster in the pants pocket is not being "handled". It is holstered.

Therefore that rule does not apply.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Thanks for the info guys. The pocket holster didn't work well for me for EDC...I was just 'trying it out'. I think it has its place on a winter walk or something in a coat pocket....so not sad I spent 12 bucks on it.

This post brought forward a comment about the CTAC Minotaur Holster and I really like the looks of it and ones like it. I am going to start another thread on it...but it is interesting there are 2 schools of thought. Or maybe its Kirk's and everyone elses(it always amazes me when innocent questions turn into a debate on here)...but regardless, it seems that some think a gun in a holster isn't being handled but others(maybe just Kirk) says it is.

General gyst...

Be careful, a gun can always go off so you need to be sure your holster stays as functional as your gun. When it starts to wear out replace it.

Regardless...thanks for the info! I am going to pass on Kirk's glock story to my brother. I realized in this thread he appendix carries(he doesn't use his junk for anything anyway)...and I want him to ensure his holster stays in good shape.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    duly noted.....and im not being snide here, but does this cancel out shoulder rigs ...

Woman hugs off duty officer from behind - shot and killed. Willing to BET this was a horizontal shoulder holster.

Woman Dies After Officer’s Gun Is Triggered by…a Hug? | Video | TheBlaze.com

People are shot when drawing from a holster (Tex G.). People are shot when re-holstering. People are shot by holstered guns when bending over, getting hugged (above), etc. It doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen.

Therefore, I choose carry methods that promote bullet placement into non-vital areas if Murphy is working overtime.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Or maybe its Kirk's and everyone elses(it always amazes me when innocent questions turn into a debate on here)...but regardless, it seems that some think a gun in a holster isn't being handled but others(maybe just Kirk) says it is.

I see it as healthy. Let all sides be shown.

Let 10,000 flowers bloom. Let rhino pay me his ammo debt.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    crap dude...I'm lucky to have one...I use physics for my BUG....I'll just throw my 400 lbs on top of the twigboy meth-head. :)

:): Srsly, though, you should think about getting another sidearm. Not only for a BUG, but if you are ever involved in a SD shooting, the cops will take your weapon for who knows how long.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Woman hugs off duty officer from behind - shot and killed. Willing to BET this was a horizontal shoulder holster.

It wasn't. It was a crap soft waist band holster that rotated. I don't know the brand, but probably something like those $7 Uncle Mike soft IWB holsters with the flimsy plastic clip.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Anything that discourages pocket carry is a good thing.

Remember the gun only has one job, to go bang. When you carry think about where the muzzle is if the weapon went bang right now.

Good grief, point your gun at your thighs and junk! You need a different instructor, muy pronto!

I know it is high speed and hip to do goofy crap with the gun. Don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmZJ5GJ3Oo

This point cannot be reiterated enough.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I use nylon holsters for for my GP100. It is my desk gun and would rather have it in a holster than just sitting on my desk where I might accidentally coonfinger it with a pen or a stapler

bear-girl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Gun CAN go bang without triggers being pulled.

The example you give, with the bowler in Florida causing a discharge when his bowling ball hits his revolver in his pocket, may have been caused by a trigger pull or by a hammer release; it isn't clear. So let me ask this: Has there been a discharge without some physical force impacting on the firearm? For example, can a gun inside a holster sitting on a shelf discharge without motion being imparted to the gun or holster prior to the discharge? I have always believed that the answer is "NO", but your comments now make me wonder otherwise.

Top Bottom