• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    When carrying how do you follow the 'never point your firearm at something you don't want to kill' rule?

I was pocket carrying in my cargo shorts and realized sitting at a table my gun was pointing at others around me.

I had it In a pocket holster...but I know I was violating the rule quite a bit.

I think this would rule out carrying in a pocket for me depending on the feedback...

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    many instructors will tell you that there will be times when you may have to break one of the rules....this probably being the most commonly broken....even if you had a proper hip holster, if youre in your car and you need to draw the weapon, you will very likely sweep your thighs and or junk.....its just going to happen

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think this would rule out carrying in a pocket for me depending on the feedback

Anything that discourages pocket carry is a good thing.

Remember the gun only has one job, to go bang. When you carry think about where the muzzle is if the weapon went bang right now.

many instructors will tell you that there will be times when you may have to break one of the rules....this probably being the most commonly broken....even if you had a proper hip holster, if youre in your car and you need to draw the weapon, you will very likely sweep your thighs and or junk.....its just going to happen

Good grief, point your gun at your thighs and junk! You need a different instructor, muy pronto!

I know it is high speed and hip to do goofy crap with the gun. Don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmZJ5GJ3Oo

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Anything that discourages pocket carry is a good thing.

Remember the gun only has one job, to go bang. When you carry think about where the muzzle is if the weapon went bang right now.

Good grief, point your gun at your thighs and junk! You need a different instructor, muy pronto!

I know it is high speed and hip to do goofy crap with the gun. Don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmZJ5GJ3Oo

im not really that up to date with all the hip highspeed shooting...ive just heard that in an adrenalized situation in your car, you are very likely to sweep yourself, therefore you should always have finger off trigger until youre ready to shoot....i dunno

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    duly noted.....and im not being snide here, but does this cancel out shoulder rigs, appendix carry, ankle carry, etc...?

You betcha.

Big problems with shoulder rigs. Clint Smith tells of a Fort Wayne detective that shot himself using a shoulder rig. The problem is that the people using it do not understand what the other are is to do, they have not been taught.

Appendix carry (aka Steve Malloy Carry) has it own problems. It is hip and cool and all flippy high speed but tape a down rod through your barrel and see where it is pointing when you hunch over (like they all do on the range), or when you sit down. Notice that Pincus was NOT seated when he was demonstrating appendix carry.

Ankle carry, oh, yeah, better know what you are doing and practice.

Guns DO go bang in the holster. We plan for that to happen, that way we do not get hurt.
    Whatever you do and however you carry, remember the gun only has one job. We are a bigger threat to ourselves than anyone is a threat to us.:ingo:

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    You betcha.

Big problems with shoulder rigs. Clint Smith tells of a Fort Wayne detective that shot himself using a shoulder rig. The problem is that the people using it do not understand what the other are is to do, they have not been taught.

Appendix carry (aka Steve Malloy Carry) has it own problems. It is hip and cool and all flippy high speed but tape a down rod through your barrel and see where it is pointing when you hunch over (like they all do on the range), or when you sit down. Notice that Pincus was NOT seated when he was demonstrating appendix carry.

Ankle carry, oh, yeah, better know what you are doing and practice.

Guns DO go bang in the holster. We plan for that to happen, that way we do not get hurt.
    Whatever you do and however you carry, remember the gun only has one job. We are a bigger threat to ourselves than anyone is a threat to us.:ingo:

I agree, but i think that if you spent an entire day doing various activities in whatever holster position you choose, eventually your muzzle will sweep something youre not willing to destroy...i may be wrong but just my :twocents:

Once a cop disarmed me from my 4 o'clock holster and i know he sweeped my ass and probably came close to sweeping my lower spine.....it made me nervous enough to request that he be careful.....

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    You are never "pointing" a firearm at anyone while it's in your holster. You can only point a firearm while it's in your HAND.

Do you freak out when you walk into a gun shop and all the guns in the display case are "pointed" at you? Of course not. That's because they aren't being "pointed". They are there and they exist in a state that just happens to have the front towards you. Same with a gun in a holster....be it a horizontal shoulder holster, a pocket holster or any other kind. The muzzle just happens to be oriented towards a certain direction. Unless you actually remove it and hold it in your hand, you aren't "pointing" it at anyone or anything.

NOTE* I'm not saying that if it accidently goes off while in your holster......it has happened....there are documented cases of it......that someone cannot be struck by the bullet.......because it's not "pointed" at them. The bullet is going out the muzzle in the direction it happens to be oriented. If you or someone else happens to be in front of the muzzle when it "accidently" goes off...........guess what.....

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    You are never "pointing" a firearm at anyone while it's in your holster. You can only point a firearm while it's in your HAND.

Do you freak out when you walk into a gun shop and all the guns in the display case are "pointed" at you? Of course not. That's because they aren't being "pointed". They are there and they exist in a state that just happens to have the front towards you. Same with a gun in a holster....be it a horizontal shoulder holster, a pocket holster or any other kind. The muzzle just happens to be oriented towards a certain direction. Unless you actually remove it and hold it in your hand, you aren't "pointing" it at anyone or anything.

NOTE* I'm not saying that if it accidently goes off while in your holster......it has happened....there are documented cases of it......that someone cannot be struck by the bullet.......because it's not "pointed" at them. The bullet is going out the muzzle in the direction it happens to be oriented. If you or someone else happens to be in front of the muzzle when it "accidently" goes off...........guess what.....

Does this mean you would not be responsible, or held legally accountable, for the damage caused by the gun if it were to discharge since it wasn't in your hand? Because if you are, AND I THINK YOU WOULD BE, Kirk is making valid points and the OP is properly concerned.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    870 shootrite?

ooooh...well what pistols do we all carry that have free floating firing pins? seriously jw

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I have often wondered the same thing about shoulder holster rigs... they are often pointed directly at the person behind the person wearing them.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    there is a good chance no matter what of someone getting hurt if your sidearm discharges no matter what type if holster your using. If not then there are still bullet fragments and richoches that can cause damage as well.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have often wondered the same thing about shoulder holster rigs... they are often pointed directly at the person behind the person wearing them.

Same thing with any holster on your hip.If you are in a two story building on the second floor you're probably pointing your gun at someone who's on the first floor.
    And depending on the type of building a bullet could easilly go through the floor and reach someone bellow you. :dunno:

I think a member had a ND in his house and the bullet ended up in his basement after going through the second and first floor.
    Hopefully no one was on the path of the bullet that day.

That's why your "safe direction" changes depending on where you are when you are handling a gun.
    If you're in the basement you point your gun down and if you're in the attic you point it up.

:twocents:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    So sounds like any position can cause an issue. I was thinking about it in the holster and waist carry or rear carry...they would point down most of the time so maybe ok. I am new to even thinking about carrying so not sure what appendix carry is. Need to google it.

Top Bottom