• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm even starting to view everything through that lense. For example, I can classify for every IDPA division with the guns I have right now- except for CDP. Thus, an M&P45 is certainly needed

I try to look at pistol purchases in the same light. I don't really have any official ESP gun although I could use my SSP or CDP guns but I don't think that would really do me any good. I'm tempted to maybe do something like you've done with your M&P9 and have an IDPA/USPSA gun but I figure as soon as I do something like that they'll do something crazy and put all striker-fired guns in a different division and then that will be all for naught. CDP is still my favorite division and one I probably take the most seriously when I shoot. I break out the 9mm I feel like I'm on vacation and can have some fun.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    LOL maybe when Ben finally matures he'll understand :D but until then you just gotta figure since he is so young he just doesn't get it the way us mature individuals do!

You want to shoot an M&P45 just let me know; I have 2 now you know :D. Let me know when you want to give one a go and you are more than welcome to give one a whirl!

Yeah, the good thing about Ben is he has time to see the light. All is not lost....yet:D

Thanks for the CDP offer! Tis good to be in the M&P brotherhood:laugh: I might try to get a 5 gun classification, with the cool certificate and all. Should be able to at least make novice in every division:):

I try to look at pistol purchases in the same light. I don't really have any official ESP gun although I could use my SSP or CDP guns but I don't think that would really do me any good. I'm tempted to maybe do something like you've done with your M&P9 and have an IDPA/USPSA gun but I figure as soon as I do something like that they'll do something crazy and put all striker-fired guns in a different division and then that will be all for naught. CDP is still my favorite division and one I probably take the most seriously when I shoot. I break out the 9mm I feel like I'm on vacation and can have some fun.

That is one thing makes the M&P9 a very versatile competition gun. I can load it with extensions and vacuum size magwell for multigun open class; USPSA Limited and Limited 10; or take the magwell off and run factory basepads and run USPSA production and IDPA SSP. I'm in the process of making it a truly legal ESP gun with the smaller magwell and basepads that keep it under 6" to fit the box. This little venture is going to cost a bit ($50 for the well and $25 for each basepad= ouch!). But, it's kind of like running a 7 round revolver. No one cares till you start creeping up, then all the sudden everybody wants everything legal:rolleyes::laugh:

It's a little weird with the magwell off the M&P for me. I tried some rounds the other day with it off and the gun started jumping around like crazy. Come to find out my meat grabbers enjoy the stop that magwell provides and the grip is just a shade short for me without out. You don't seem to have that issue, which is good, but it confirmed for me that I'll want to stick in ESP with it.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Maybe if Ben spent more time shooting than getting banned from INGO he'd get there faster...ah, the indiscretions of youth! :D

No worries on the CDP offer, heck I'll even let you choose the color when you want to shoot it! I think the FDE one might be a touch more powerful; I believe they give you like +10 to power or +5 to hit...can't remember which LOL If you like the feel of your 9 with the mag well you may really like the M&P45 if you haven't held one yet. They are just a touch wider than the 9/40 but they feel a bunch better. How does that mag well attach to the M&P? I haven't researched much on what mods are available for it; I've been too busy trying to acquire more M&Ps themselves!

I'm classified in 3 but I couldn't tell you the last time I shot ESP to be honest. Don't you have to shoot a match a year in a division to keep your classification or something like that? When it comes time to start thinking revolvers I'll be sure to hit you up since I know jack about them. The rounds i've fired out of your Smith and Brad's Ruger is about the sum total of my entire wheel gun shooting career!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Maybe if Ben spent more time shooting than getting banned from INGO he'd get there faster...ah, the indiscretions of youth! :D

No worries on the CDP offer, heck I'll even let you choose the color when you want to shoot it! I think the FDE one might be a touch more powerful; I believe they give you like +10 to power or +5 to hit...can't remember which LOL If you like the feel of your 9 with the mag well you may really like the M&P45 if you haven't held one yet. They are just a touch wider than the 9/40 but they feel a bunch better. How does that mag well attach to the M&P? I haven't researched much on what mods are available for it; I've been too busy trying to acquire more M&Ps themselves!

I'm classified in 3 but I couldn't tell you the last time I shot ESP to be honest. Don't you have to shoot a match a year in a division to keep your classification or something like that? When it comes time to start thinking revolvers I'll be sure to hit you up since I know jack about them. The rounds i've fired out of your Smith and Brad's Ruger is about the sum total of my entire wheel gun shooting career!

HAHA! Ben recently got on Facebook. I give it three months before he's banned there:laugh:

I think I would have to shoot the FDE- it has an extra "coolness" that I think would make me shoot better:cool:

I'm not sure if you have to shoot in a class once per year to keep your classification in it. I do know that all classifications are good for a year, unless you make Master, then you don't have to worry with it again. If not, you've got to classify again. Master would be really nice in ESP, as it is the hardest division to make Master in (I think it's nearly 10 points faster than SSP). I suspect when the new rules come out that classifications will interchange between SSP and ESP, but who knows.

The M&P magwells slip over the front of the mag opening and are pinned through a hole in the grip locking mechanism at the back of the mag opening. Really easy to put on and take off.

You really need to get a revo sometime soon. It's hard to go wrong with a 686 or 625, but there are several other good options, all Smiths:rockwoot:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'll have to friend request him and then spam his wall with anti-OC propaganda.

Absolutely the FDE guns give style points to all the great shooters!

I would love to think I could achieve Master in CDP. I keep knocking on the door of Expert, which is one of my big goals for this year is to make that in 2012. I'd love to set up a the classifier stage in one of the bays and just run through it to see where I gain and lose ground at. I think my off-hand shooting is one area and then my 25 yard shots in part 3 is the other. I've came close but no cigar yet.

I'm MM in SSP and SS in ESP and CDP...I would like to think that at the least the SSP and ESP times would roll over if you are shooting a gun that is legal in both...any idea of when all the Tiger Teams are going to be finished and all the new rules will be implemented?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'll have to friend request him and then spam his wall with anti-OC propaganda.

Absolutely the FDE guns give style points to all the great shooters!

I would love to think I could achieve Master in CDP. I keep knocking on the door of Expert, which is one of my big goals for this year is to make that in 2012. I'd love to set up a the classifier stage in one of the bays and just run through it to see where I gain and lose ground at. I think my off-hand shooting is one area and then my 25 yard shots in part 3 is the other. I've came close but no cigar yet.

I'm MM in SSP and SS in ESP and CDP...I would like to think that at the least the SSP and ESP times would roll over if you are shooting a gun that is legal in both...any idea of when all the Tiger Teams are going to be finished and all the new rules will be implemented?

Oh man- that anti-oc stuff on Ben would be great:laugh:

I haven't heard of the Tiger Teams finalizing date for anything, but I do know IDPA has requested that no new SO classes be held this year. That leads me to think that probably late this year all the new regs will come out and then SO classes will open up next year. The changes are evidently drastic enough to do so.

I've never shot the classifier, but it's pretty easy to tell that the third string is what will make the difference between classes. It's one of the tougher standards I've seen for handguns. I would like to classify expert as well, because I sort of feel I'm at the bottom of that rung. If I shot well enough, I might could make Master, but I feel it would only be a "classifier Master" and not an actual field course Master like Scott and Brad. I'm not there....yet.

Actually, I would just like to get a classification. I've already lost out on a few matches I wanted to go to because I couldn't prove a classification.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I feel the same way about myself...that I could do nothing but practice the classifier and then be Master class but not be able to actually shoot with the actual Master Class shooters. I have to resist the urge to keep my foot on the gas during the classifiers and not rush it. I'd love to stage a practice classifier to see at just what pace you'd need to shoot to actually make it...I haven't figured out if I just need to slow down and that would make the difference but my points down have killed me in the past. With moving on to the M&P I feel like while I am still getting used to it, that it is more of 'my gun' kind of thing than any of the others of shot before. That will show when I do get that chance to shoot a classifier. I've only shot 2 for CDP since I've started; I did one for SSP and one for ESP and that has been pretty much it.

That train of thought does kind of take me to another place and that is keeping with the same gun...I still feel that call to shoot some SSP every once in a while but there is also that thought of keeping to one gun so there is every chance to get that much more familiar with it. I think my shooting at WSSC with my 9mm did kind of show me what switching platforms can do to you.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I feel the same way about myself...that I could do nothing but practice the classifier and then be Master class but not be able to actually shoot with the actual Master Class shooters. I have to resist the urge to keep my foot on the gas during the classifiers and not rush it. I'd love to stage a practice classifier to see at just what pace you'd need to shoot to actually make it...I haven't figured out if I just need to slow down and that would make the difference but my points down have killed me in the past. With moving on to the M&P I feel like while I am still getting used to it, that it is more of 'my gun' kind of thing than any of the others of shot before. That will show when I do get that chance to shoot a classifier. I've only shot 2 for CDP since I've started; I did one for SSP and one for ESP and that has been pretty much it.

That train of thought does kind of take me to another place and that is keeping with the same gun...I still feel that call to shoot some SSP every once in a while but there is also that thought of keeping to one gun so there is every chance to get that much more familiar with it. I think my shooting at WSSC with my 9mm did kind of show me what switching platforms can do to you.

Most guys will tell you to pick a gun and stick with it. I have taken a slightly different route and picked two guns and stuck with them:laugh:

If you break the classifier down, you need to average 30 points per string to make Master in any division (except ESR at 89). That's giving you 1 second per shot with no points down. I doubt anybody can do that, so time has to be made up somewhere to allow for what points down you do have. When you break into Expert class you're dealing with 1.2 seconds per shot. That opens up a lot of breathing room (18 seconds) over 90 rounds.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Most guys will tell you to pick a gun and stick with it. I have taken a slightly different route and picked two guns and stuck with them:laugh:

If you break the classifier down, you need to average 30 points per string to make Master in any division (except ESR at 89). That's giving you 1 second per shot with no points down. I doubt anybody can do that, so time has to be made up somewhere to allow for what points down you do have. When you break into Expert class you're dealing with 1.2 seconds per shot. That opens up a lot of breathing room (18 seconds) over 90 rounds.

I'm more than ready to give it an honest go; I think I have Expert in me and if I want to get there I probably do need to stick with working that 45. I definitely want to earn each ranking and also to be able to shoot with those same shooters!

I guess the good news is no matter how poorly you shoot a classifier you never go down in classification. I'd love to shoot 2 classifiers just to get an idea of the proper mind set and plan, for me, going in. Finding that right blend of speed and accuracy...which IS the end all and be all quest for any shooting sport obviously, but I just wonder if I"m not pushing the limits in the classifier for speed and not trusting to accuracy or what. Mind set, i guess, is the big factor and maybe you do have to go into a classifier with a different attitude on how it actually needs to be ran instead of just doing it flat out like a standard run and gun course of fire.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Mind set, i guess, is the big factor and maybe you do have to go into a classifier with a different attitude on how it actually needs to be ran instead of just doing it flat out like a standard run and gun course of fire.

"Too many minds"
    The Last Samuri

"Now go out there and just hit the *&%# ball"
    Tin Cup

I'd bet money on you breezing into expert if your goal was just on having fun & doing your best
    Grelber

Worst case, even if you aren't thrilled with your next qualifier at least you won't be redheaded.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    "Too many minds"
    The Last Samuri

"Now go out there and just hit the *&%# ball"
    Tin Cup

I'd bet money on you breezing into expert if your goal was just on having fun & doing your best
    Grelber

Worst case, even if you aren't thrilled with your next qualifier at least you won't be redheaded.

I'd say you are on to something there...just do it and let the results worry about themselves!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

That says it all:laugh:

I'd say you are on to something there...just do it and let the results worry about themselves!

If you get a chance sometime you ought to check out the Enos forums. Those guys, and Brian Enos himself, are BIG into beig totally relaxed at the buzzer. They suggest mentally running through a course several times in your mind and then at the starting line just letting go and running the course almost sub-consciously.

I've tried it and found that I was simply too relaxed. I seem to do better by running a course through my mind several times and then coming to the line like a cowboy ready to ride a bull. It also helps if I have some last minute challenge either directed toward me or I just take it that way. Remember "Swamp Thang" a while back. The very best thing you could have said was that little spill about guys doing it in four seconds (and getting some certificate or something). This style seems to work well for me so long as the wheels don't come off. When your in that mode and something doesn't go right, it goes bad- FAST!

Of course, I don't shoot like Enos, so maybe I should revisit that relaxation thing:laugh::laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I think I over think the classifier. Worry too much and try harder than what is necessary. Most stages I approach and just complete empty my head and shoot it reflexively...I need to figure out how to bring my stage stuff to the classifier stuff lol

scowens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Side match approved! It will only be 11 rounds, if you only need one shot per. Short and sweet this w/e. Side match and scoring make for a long day. :popcorn:

I'm waiting for a round count this w/e and then I'll be sending out the email shortly....stay tuned.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Side match approved! It will only be 11 rounds, if you only need one shot per. Short and sweet this w/e. Side match and scoring make for a long day. :popcorn:

I'm waiting for a round count this w/e and then I'll be sending out the email shortly....stay tuned.

Excellent you are the man Steve!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    We are due for weather like this,

Which reminds me this year I'm thinking good cooler filled with Gatorade tall boys pre-iced the night before our 150 degree plus matches. Maybe a party mix of bottled water and Gatorade. If it is not a tactical advantage, well, it ought to be.
    Havent' got food figured out except last nights pizza seemed to work ok last year. Suggestions?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Which reminds me this year I'm thinking good cooler filled with Gatorade tall boys pre-iced the night before our 150 degree plus matches. Maybe a party mix of bottled water and Gatorade. If it is not a tactical advantage, well, it ought to be.
    Havent' got food figured out except last nights pizza seemed to work ok last year. Suggestions?

LOL You do hit on something that is incredibly important and that is hydration. It's important to start consuming more water than you normally do about 2 or 3 days before a match like that so you aren't playing catch-up during the day. I need to start bring more than my standard giant cup of Diet Dew LOL

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Mike, you better have a damn RIFLE by the next sidematch or I'm gonna stick the next pistol you buy right up your keister...

Oh, and anti-OC propaganda will get you promptly BLOCKED from my facebook...

:laugh:

Top Bottom