• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    order of operation says that you must first do what is in parentheses. Once you have done that you do it from left to right.
    The final answer should be 9

6 / 2(2+1)
    Done in the proper order is

6/ 2=3
    3 x 3 =9
    ^
    (2+1)

Mumble jumble mess but makes sense to me.

Last edited:

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    order of operation says that you must first do what is in parentheses. Once you have done that you do it from left to right.
    The final answer should be 9

This has been discussed, and there are two CORRECT ways to interpret the problem. Although I feel 9 is MORE correct, 1 is also a right answer.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Not a law, a rule.

When laws are broken, someone goes to jail (math prison in this case).

When rules are broken, you just get the wrong answer and may be asked to leave. (If you do not leave when asked, you may be arrested for math trespass, which is a law.)

:D

You would be in so much trouble with Scotty.

scotty.jpg

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wow. When I read this article Why there is no Hitchhiker’s Guide to Mathematics for Programmers | Math I thought it was just talking about the more esoteric and advanced mathematics notation. Little did I know that a complete misapplication of implied multiplication would lead to such a hullaballoo.

6/2x = 6 / 2 * x = 3x

If you mean for the 2 and x to be more closely linked than that, you have to use the precedence modifying parentheses.

6/(2x) = 3/x

The only alternative is if, like that paper I linked mentions, you're in a body of mathematics where an implied multiplication also implies tighter precedence than overt multiplication, which this is not.

Looking at the use of the great divisor notation, this expression would not become
    Code:
    ------
    2(2+1)
    It would become

Code:
    -- (2+1) = 3(2+1) = 3 * 3 = 9
    or

Code:
    6(2+1)   6 * 3    18
    ------ = ----- = ---- = 9
      2        2       2
    There is no ambiguity. There is no room to misinterpret or misunderstand this simple arithmetic expression "6/2(2+1)" except by those not familiar with mathematic rigor and the innumerate.

9 is only correct if 6/2x = 6x/2 where x = (2+1) Please don't tell me you believe this
    Yes, I believe that, because it is true.

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    Great article.. There are 'Math Teachers' and there are those that 'Use Math'

Wow. When I read this article Why there is no Hitchhiker’s Guide to Mathematics for Programmers | Math I thought it was just talking about the more esoteric and advanced mathematics notation. Little did I know that a complete misapplication of implied multiplication would lead to such a hullaballoo.

6/2x = 6 / 2 * x = 3x

If you mean for the 2 and x to be more closely linked than that, you have to use the precedence modifying parentheses.

6/(2x) = 3/x

The only alternative is if, like that paper I linked mentions, you're in a body of mathematics where an implied multiplication also implies tighter precedence than overt multiplication, which this is not.

Looking at the use of the great divisor notation, this expression would not become
    Code:
    ------
    2(2+1)
    It would become

Code:
    -- (2+1) = 3(2+1) = 3 * 3 = 9
    or

Code:
    6(2+1)   6 * 3    18
    ------ = ----- = ---- = 9
      2        2       2
    There is no ambiguity. There is no room to misinterpret or misunderstand this simple arithmetic expression "6/2(2+1)" except by those not familiar with mathematic rigor and the innumerate.

Yes, I believe that, because it is true.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually all of "6/2(2+1)" is a term. It's a term made up of three factors, 6, 1/2, and (2+1). The last factor is a parenthetic subexpression made up of two terms of its own, 2 and 1. It is not correct at all to call "2(2+1)" a term within the greater expression "6/2(2+1)".

adws943

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I hope Monday morning before coffe is the only reason for some of these answers.
    That is one more quaility post?? for me.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    It depends on who you ask. Order of operations should be followed, but isn't taught anymore. Regardless, the syntax is unclear and will result in different answers depending on how you were taught.

When and why did they stop teaching the order of operations?

Why would they want younger generations coming up with different answers than the older ones? Dumbest thing I've heard in some time.

From the time I entered school until the time I graduated college, there was only one correct answer to this question and it isn't 1.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I just hope everyone working for H&R Block can come up with the same answer that the IRS people come up with otherwise there will be a whole lot of auditting going on.

PS, I guess I'm old school because 9 immediately came to mind.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Good gawd, not again. It's 1. Parentheses, then exponentials, then multiplication/division, then addition/subtraction. 2+1=3. 3x2=6. 6÷6=1.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Bunnykid68,

As someone who has studied a bit of business accounting, I have to ask before answering your question:

WHAT DO YOU WANT THE NUMBER TO BE???:D

Regards,

Doug

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Starting with the caveat that I was a history major, shouldn't we be able to apply the distributive property and come up with the same correct answer both ways?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    It would be interesting to see which camp has people who took more than just basic algebra and trig in high school :)

I have a feeling it'd definitely be telling.

32588096.jpg

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    It would be interesting to see which camp has people who [STRIKE]took and [/STRIKE]passed with more than just a C in basic algebra and trig in high school :)

I have a feeling it'd definitely be telling.

FTFY

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    To Bunnykid68,

As someone who has studied a bit of business accounting, I have to ask before answering your question:

WHAT DO YOU WANT THE NUMBER TO BE???:D

Regards,

[STRIKE]Doug[/STRIKE] Enron, Worldcom, Adelphia, Arthur Anderson, Sally Mae, AIG, Pricewaterhouse Coopers, Bernie Madoff, Ernst & Young, ..........U.S. Congress, etc.

FTFY

Top Bottom