• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    Here it is in three forms. Each of which is used by many mathematicians, engineers, and developers.

Each method I input the expression in the original form

Google
    V7z5q7r.png

Python
    69CvTtK.png

C
    z8P911e.png

If these compilers are incorrect, then everything we do, use, and think is incorrect and YOU sir Math teacher need to start publishing. (just a fun jab, no disrespect)

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I agree the notation sucks. the true problem is the division sign. 2(2+1) is a term. the division sign literally means 6/2(2+1). If the problem stated 6/2+(2+1), 2+(2+1) is two terms and in this case you would 3+(2+1).

you put in the computer wrong. you are "dividing" by 2 and then multiplying by 3 however the correct notation should be "dividing" by 2 and "dividing" by 3

if the problem was 6 divide 2x you would not divide by 2 and then multiply by x you would write it as a quotient 6/2x

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    I agree the notation sucks. the true problem is the division sign. 2(2+1) is a term. the division sign literally means 6/2(2+1). If the problem stated 6/2+(2+1), 2+(2+1) is two terms and in this case you would 3+(2+1).

you put in the computer wrong. you are "dividing" by 2 and then multiplying by 3 however the correct notation should be "dividing" by 2 and "dividing" by 3

if the problem was 6 divide 2x you would not divide by 2 and then multiply by x you would write it as a quotient 6/2x

Let's agree to disagree. I will also agree that I am correct and YOU are correct.. But I am more so!

If you are teaching 4th graders, the use of 'implied' multiplication is acceptable. When you are using math in real world applications there is no such thing.

For the last time, 9 is correct when taking the notation literally (as you should), BUT the notation is too ambiguous and this debate will loom forever and no one will ever be able to prove with certainty that they are correct.

Except I am certain that I'm correct :D

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    2(2+1) is a term. If the problem stated 6 divide 2x you would not divide by two and then multiply by x, you would write it as a quotient 6/2x. it is the same thing here just x=(2+1)

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    there is no law in mathematics that says you have to work from left to right. you put it in the computer wrong 2(2+1) is one term

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    there is no law in mathematics that says you have to work from right to left. you put it in the computer wrong 2(2+1) is one term

You are mistaken tho, The original problem does not notate it as a single term. 2(2+1) without clarification is the same thing as 2*(2+1).. Neither of us are incorrect, It's the notation!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    there is no law in mathematics that says you have to work from left to right...

Not a law, a rule.

When laws are broken, someone goes to jail (math prison in this case).

When rules are broken, you just get the wrong answer and may be asked to leave. (If you do not leave when asked, you may be arrested for math trespass, which is a law.)

:D

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not a law, a rule.

When rules are broken, you just get the wrong answer and may be asked to leave. (If you do not leave when asked, you may be arrested for math trespass, which is a law.)

Do you OC your calculator like that? :):

3810563454_eb07fa4f97_z.jpg

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    Not a law, a rule.

True it is not a law

Top Bottom