Many of us have famous ancestors Who are yours?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    The "Mary" in Mary had a little lamb is a distant cousin of mine, her name was Mary Sawyer and my grandmother's name was Sawyer. My Aunt and Uncle traveled to Sterling Massachusetts and researched the family many years ago. The Nursery Rhyme is about the true story Mary and her Lamb.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Most famous person I'm related to was probably my mom's dad who lost to Gorgeous George, giving him his first championship. Family lore has it my other grandfather dated Marjorie Main (Ma Kettle) when they were in high school. The time and location were right. Oh, and Daniel Boone's probably in there somewhere (j/k).

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Sir Francis Drake or possibly one of his brothers since Francis only had a daughter, but then again being a pirate you never know. :rockwoot: My grandmother and her brother went to Scotland a few years back to try and narrow stuff down but it did not get any farther than that.

On my fathers side I believe I heard something and read about William the Conquerors half brother Odo being an ancestor also.

Last edited:

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Thomas Jefferson as a great great uncle on my mom's fathers side. Also Foster Brooks of drunk comedy fame was an uncle 2x removed. Also Senator Preston Brooks who throughly pummeled Senator Sumner for a insult to a relative.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    On my mom's side I'm related to Captain Kidd (pirate). Sorely Boy McDonnell (hell-raising Scots-Irish in Northern Ireland) and eventually, back to Robert the Bruce

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Jesse James, the Harrison Presidents, and I had a couple of great uncles died tragically in the pursuit of flight. Dumbarses jumped off KY barn into a ravine with homemade wings. Maybe not famous to some but definitely in our clan. LOL!

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    My great grandfather x8 was John Alden, cooper of the Mayflower, said to be the first to set foot on Plymouth Rock.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow is in there somewhere.

My fiancee is related to Robert E. Lee.

My uncle dated Robert Plant's cousin back in the 70's. He met them backstage at the Chicago show in 1975. Jimmy Page wore his jacket for the encore.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My great grandfather x8 was John Alden, cooper of the Mayflower, said to be the first to set foot on Plymouth Rock.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow is in there somewhere.

My fiancee is related to Robert E. Lee.

My uncle dated Robert Plant's cousin back in the 70's. He met them backstage at the Chicago show in 1975. Jimmy Page wore his jacket for the encore.

We are related then. I haven't seen you at the reunions? :D

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hogie Carmichael is a is (was) a fouth cousin of mine on my Mothers side. Cool music.

Like me, he was known to be an A.. Hole, as most musicians and engineers are.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Hogie Carmichael is a is (was) a fouth cousin of mine on my Mothers side. Cool music.

Like me, he was known to be an A.. Hole, as most musicians and engineers are.

I forgot Hoagie Carmichael. He's related to me somehow, too. I'm originally from Bloomington.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Captain Silas F. Rigby and the 26th Indiana Battery Light Artillery

My ancestor led a Light artillery Brigade during the Cilvil war called the Rigby's 26th Light Artillery battery They have a monument downtown greensburg Indiana recognizing The Rigby and Wilder battery that fought many many famous battles durring the Civil War,

Rigby enlisted two weeks after the Civil War began although he and his wife were the parents of four children and another on the way. He was appointed captain in the famed Wilder’s Battery. When Company A was reorganized in November 1861, it was detached as an artillery company and designated the First Independent. For a time it was known as Rigby’s Battery. Rigby fought in several battles before September 1862 when the battle at Harper’s Ferry began. Union soldiers were outnumbered two to one by "Stonewall" Jackson’s Confederate troops. When the Union troops were nearly out of ammunition the commanders raised the white flag of surrender at 9 a.m. Sept. 15, 1862. At that moment the Union commander Miles was shot and killed. The second in command made arrangements for surrender. It was the largest single capture of Union troops during the war. Silas, one of the captured, was sent to Maryland. He was later exchanged.

After Harper’s Ferry and the Maryland Campaign, the United States War Department issued Special Orders No. 256 on September 23, 1862. They established a military commission in Washington DC to get the facts regarding the evacuation of Maryland Heights and the surrender of Harper's Ferry and the conduct of Colonel Thomas H. Ford and (the late) Colonel Dixon S. Miles. Appointed to hear the proceedings were: Major General David Hunter, Major General George Cadwalader, and Brigadier General Christopher C. Auger.

Both Silas Rigby and Robert Milroy testified about the surrender at Harper’s Ferry. The following is the background and opening of Rigby’s testimony.

"Captain Silas F. Rigby's 1st Indiana Independent Battery had expended all but 21 rounds of canister in their artillery chests and exhaustion of long range artillery ammunition for the guns became the disappointment of all. The story was the same with the entire battalion commanded by Major Henry B. McIllvaine, there was nothing left to put up a resistance to the overwhelming pressure." Questioned by the judge advocate: Question. What position have you in the military service? Rigby. I am commanding a battery, the First Independent Indiana Battery. Question. Will you state to the Commission what amount of public property was destroyed there, so far as it came to your knowledge? Rigby. That I could not state properly, as there was a great portion of it in course of moving when I moved, and what was got away from there, I do not justly know. There were four siege guns that were destroyed, and some ammunition; what amount I cannot say. I was ordered to get my battery out and form on the Winchester road, and head the column to a certain place. I did so. I then went back up, and Captain Powell told me there were a couple of 20-pounder Parrott guns there, with their caissons, that they wanted saved. I went to General White, and he also told me that they should be taken along, and asked me if I could do it. I told him I could. I took the lead horses of my guns, and forge, and battery wagons, and also my extra horses; I took them out and fitted them up, and took out the two guns and formed them in my column.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/26th_Independent_Battery_Indiana_Light_Artillery

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom