• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If someones property is causing harm to spill over to your property, then use your property rights to sue at your expense, not everyone elses. An ugly home is not justification.

Look at what happens when going beyond this logic. If I were to buy a house in a ran down neighborhood and make it into a palace, should I then be able to sue all my neighbors for some of my cost? After all, they benefit from my good deed. For that matter, can I sue and force them to improve their property?

Freedom isnt free right? It does have its downside, but the upside is imeasurable.

If they are smart they'll band together to lynch you for increasing their property taxes :D

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Liberty for the masses does not come with out limits to individual liberties.

I can dance whereever I want, so long as I am not naked, and not in the middle of a street in oncoming traffic.

There have to be limits to prevent anarchy.

Simple property rights are the answer to your absurd hypothetical example of anarchy.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

I can dance whereever I want, so long as I am not naked, and not in the middle of a street in oncoming traffic.

I'm not saying having trashy neighbors won't devalue your property or make it harder to sell. But it can be just as easily proven that nanny neighbors can devalue your property and make it tougher to sell. As a buyer, I may love your house. But if it's in an HOA, I won't even consider it. There's enough others out there like me, thus your buying base is smaller. Thus, less demand and lower property value.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Funny, I have never had an appraiser look at my neighbors houses when appraising the value of mine. It has been based upon the sale price of other properties similar to mine. I don't believe the government does either when they appraise for taxes.

That doesn't mean a prospective buyer won't, but I think that will just tend to drive away the prospective buyer, not cause a lower offer.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Are we still on this 'sidewalk' analogy?

Well, it's a little extreme but it gets the point across. I don't really want to drive on the sidewalks in downtown Lafayette. I might damage my truck's paint.:D

Anywho, yes, I cannot use MY PROPERTY as a weapon against my fellow citizens.

If someones property is causing harm to spill over to your property, then use your property rights to sue at your expense, not everyone elses.

Sure, we can do it that way. However, understand that people can still go to jail for contempt of court when you get a court order requiring your slothful neighbor to carry his pack.

We can do it with ordinances and establish a floor of behaviour. We can do it with suing for nuisance but it will still be a court order.

For that matter, can I sue and force them to improve their property?

Under your preferred method, sure can.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I think it is a matter of where to draw the line.
    The only line I care about is the property line.

Having sensible protections so that people cannot use their property as a weapon
    This concept is patently absurd.

Are you paraphrasing Patrick Henry?
    "What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Are property rights so dear, or individual liberties so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of ANARCHY? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me limitations on my individual liberties, or give me death!"
    :):

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Funny, I have never had an appraiser look at my neighbors houses when appraising the value of mine. It has been based upon the sale price of other properties similar to mine. I don't believe the government does either when they appraise for taxes.

That doesn't mean a prospective buyer won't, but I think that will just tend to drive away the prospective buyer, not cause a lower offer.
    Less offers mean less competition = lower prices.

My next home will be built on land I buy this year. I will pay cash for the land and the new home I build. If there happens to be a POS home on it, I may still buy it. I have uses for it.

I will not buy anything in a HOA or even close to a field that looks like a potential development spot in the next 20 years. The other benefit is birds of a feather. Like minded people. I have lived in cities like LA, Atlanta and New Orleans. I have also lived in North Dakota. Of those four, ND is the only one I would return to live in.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Simple property rights are the answer to your absurd hypothetical example of anarchy.

This was the most simplistic of examples. It shows the basic premise of limitations to individual freedoms.

I can swing my arms around, so long as I don't hit anyone (battery). I can call you a filthy thief, as long as it's not printed in a publication (lible) I can give a drink of water, as long as you aren't strapped to a table at a downward angle (waterboarding)

Do I need to elaborate further? Liberty, and freedom are not free. Total freedom is only possibly if you are the only person on an island. Otherwise, on must not take care to hurt or put another person in danger. It's pretty much common sense.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Kirk, your logic and your comparisons are completely flawed.
    spock_fascinating.jpg

(Did Spock EVER call him Kirk?)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Sorry to break the news to you, but not only does an appraiser try to compare it to properties that are similar, it will also consider surrounding to both homes.

Two homes in similar in value sandwiched between to crappy ones will always be lower in value.

You want proof, the contractor that built my house has built only 3 homes like mine, a custom design by him. I know where all three of them are at. Mine and and the second one are located in great subdivisions with great properties around them. The third on is in an area that, shall we say, people have not taken as good as care with most of the properties, while the third home is just as good as shape mine and the other, it's appraised value and actual sold value was 30% less than than my house, the second has never been sold since it was bought by the original owner.

As far as appraised value for taxation purposes, I thing we need to go back to a building cost tax, where it is based on what it would cost to replace the structure, not market value.

But we can blame that on those great individuals in Lake and Porter counties that sued that state and changed that process and caused our property taxes to soar. But that's another subject, for a different thread.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Less offers mean less competition = lower prices.

My next home will be built on land I buy this year. I will pay cash for the land and the new home I build. If there happens to be a POS home on it, I may still buy it. I have uses for it.

I will not buy anything in a HOA or even close to a field that looks like a potential development spot in the next 20 years. The other benefit is birds of a feather. Like minded people. I have lived in cities like LA, Atlanta and New Orleans. I have also lived in North Dakota. Of those four, ND is the only one I would return to live in.
    I feel the same. We have 10 acres of land with horses. We have a neighbor to our south who also has horses. The north side is farmland. Our fear is that someday there could be a subdivision there.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    All law has a gun at the end of it.

I would not shoot my neighbor because he refused to side his house.

I would also not pay mercinaries to shoot him for me.

Because of that, I find such laws immoral.

So ask yourselves: What am I willing to shoot people (or threaten to shoot people) over?

That's what it all comes down to, and it really is that simple.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Sorry to break the news to you, but not only does an appraiser try to compare it to properties that are similar, it will also consider surrounding to both homes.

Two homes in similar in value sandwiched between to crappy ones will always be lower in value.

You want proof, the contractor that built my house has built only 3 homes like mine, a custom design by him. I know where all three of them are at. Mine and and the second one are located in great subdivisions with great properties around them. The third on is in an area that, shall we say, people have not taken as good as care with most of the properties, while the third home is just as good as shape mine and the other, it's appraised value and actual sold value was 30% less than than my house, the second has never been sold since it was bought by the original owner.

As far as appraised value for taxation purposes, I thing we need to go back to a building cost tax, where it is based on what it would cost to replace the structure, not market value.

But we can blame that on those great individuals in Lake and Porter counties that sued that state and changed that process and caused our property taxes to soar. But that's another subject, for a different thread.
    The same house in different areas will sell for different prices. A single house in disrepair will not affect that. Appraised value is based upon what other similar properties have sold for in the general area of the property being appraised.

This is different than saying one property in disrepair has lowered the property value. Unless it is sold for a much lower price. Once sold it can have an affect on the value of other properties like it in that area. This is why foreclosures hurt so much, they are often dumped for low prices, and they drag all the others with them.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    All law has a gun at the end of it.

I would not shoot my neighbor because he refused to side his house.

I would also not pay mercinaries to shoot him for me.

Because of that, I find such laws immoral.

So ask yourselves: What am I willing to shoot people (or threaten to shoot people) over?

That's what it all comes down to, and it really is that simple.

Homerun. I believe PJ O'Rourke calls it the gun to your grandmother's head test.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I'm soooo confused. Are we being oppressed by the "commune" or Nazi fascists, or both?
    p.s. all those whose minds have been changed by this discussion please raise yer hands. We get the gummint we deserve, too much or too little. Let's move on to the Israeli-Palestinian question. Wait, nevermind.
    p.p.s. I used to argue with Jehovah's Witness. Not so much anymore.
    p.p.ps. Live and let live, but fix yer house and keep yer hogs and Uranium tailings to yerself. My neighbor keeps his suticase nuke in my garage next to my Chinese silkworm missile (ain't Craig's list great?). He lets me keep my pistol in his house (don't tell my wife)*

*the commie fascist

Top Bottom