• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    You know, it's frustrating that this kind of thing is news. If it's legal in his state then he is perfectly within his rights to do this, but in the hyper sensitive world in which we live today, this makes gun owners look like crazies. I hope that someday we can get society to a point that this sort of thing isn't news anymore, but right now we need to be getting exposure that reflects positively on us. This isn't it.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    You know, it's frustrating that this kind of thing is news. If it's legal in his state then he is perfectly within his rights to do this, but in the hyper sensitive world in which we live today, this makes gun owners look like crazies. I hope that someday we can get society to a point that this sort of thing isn't news anymore, but right now we need to be getting exposure that reflects positively on us. This isn't it.

I agree with this 100%.
    Gun owners are always talking about tactcal ways to clear a house, best method to track a deer ect, so why not approach politics the same way?

Take note of the political climate and act accordingly? If an active shooter was in your home, you wouldnt just walk out in front of him "because its your right to do so" no, you'd be careful in how you proceed to not get yourself killed.

Lets treat politics the same way folks.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I am all for 2A and having the ability to carry such firearms as mentioned in the article, but I don't think this kid is helping our cause by pushing the envelope this way. At 24 years old, he should be mature enough to have some common sense.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town

Well said.

Everything that's legal is not necessarily smart. If I saw a stranger walking down the street with an uncased rifle, I would grab a gun and watch him very carefully. Keeps walking normally - no problem. One suspicious move, and I'm calling 911. Two suspicious moves, and I might be dialing 1911.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Shakes alive, folks. Don't you think that blaming this guy for being "immature" might contribute to the problem? How can we say we hope that eventually this kind of thing won't be "news" and at the same time condemn somebody for doing it because it looks bad. If even WE say it looks bad and is immature, how can we expect society to reach a point where it sees this as okay?

We should set the example for society. If we want them to see this behavior and not condemn it, we should not condemn it. They must see that we see it as acceptable or they will never see it as acceptable.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Well said.

Everything that's legal is not necessarily smart. If I saw a stranger walking down the street with an uncased rifle, I would grab a gun and watch him very carefully. Keeps walking normally - no problem. One suspicious move, and I'm calling 911. Two suspicious moves, and I might be dialing 1911.

Call 911 for one suspicious activity? That's bordering on being too sensitive, depending on what that one activity is, of course. But that's why we carry. If he crosses that line, we are there, able to hold the line. Not that we don't call 911 at all, but that we show a measure of appreciation for personal freedom and responsibility without dependence on government oversight.

We should embody "An armed society is a polite society" rather than fall into the ways of the fearful sheep.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Ive actually thought that if all of us family men took daily walks with our wife, children, pets and rifles that it would send a message.

I think that one person doing it on one day does not do much help but if we all showed how we are family men and protecting our family it would help our cause.

Not that someone doing it by themselves isnt ok too but I think a family doing this is more effective from a political standpoint

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Shakes alive, folks. Don't you think that blaming this guy for being "immature" might contribute to the problem? How can we say we hope that eventually this kind of thing won't be "news" and at the same time condemn somebody for doing it because it looks bad. If even WE say it looks bad and is immature, how can we expect society to reach a point where it sees this as okay?

We should set the example for society. If we want them to see this behavior and not condemn it, we should not condemn it. They must see that we see it as acceptable or they will never see it as acceptable.

I understand your sentiment, but if we screw around and get guns banned before we can change public opinion, then we're just plain screwed. That's not a solution at all!

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I understand your sentiment, but if we screw around and get guns banned before we can change public opinion, then we're just plain screwed. That's not a solution at all!

How in the wide , wide world of sports are "WE" getting guns banned?
    If owning a gun and carrying it in public gets it banned then we are truly screwed. I think you need to check your premise. Something there isn't right.

"WE" aren't going to change public opinion, the media is and they have most people right where they want them. In knee jerk, spasmodic, reflexive "Take away the guns so the crazy gun owners won't hurt anymore kids"mode.

Its too late in the game to remove our injured starters. We will need every player even if their ability to play is diminished they can still contribute.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Ive actually thought that if all of us family men took daily walks with our wife, children, pets and rifles that it would send a message. t

That would be a very uncomfortable walk. Between the diaper bag, dog leash and kid, dont really want a rifle strapped on, too much bulk for a summertime stroll.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    How in the wide , wide world of sports are "WE" getting guns banned?
    If owning a gun and carrying it in public gets it banned then we are truly screwed. I think you need to check your premise. Something there isn't right.

"WE" aren't going to change public opinion, the media is and they have most people right where they want them. In knee jerk, spasmodic, reflexive "Take away the guns so the crazy gun owners won't hurt anymore kids"mode.

Its too late in the game to remove our injured starters. We will need every player even if their ability to play is diminished they can still contribute.

Everything that happens in the world of gun control is driven by public opinion. WE get guns banned by looking at how touchy the subject is at a given time, then deliberately making a scene. Well that may be all well and good for you, but for the direction of public opinion it sucks for the rest of us. We are not going to make any allies by making these kinds of scenes.

I want there to be a day when people don't freak out at the sight of a gun, slinging an AR-15 around a crowded city street is not the way to get there. People are not suddenly going to fear guns less because you are shoving one in their faces. We as gun owners have the responsibility to all that we can to improve our image. That doesn't mean compromising on legislation, but it does mean making sure that we don't behave in a way that allows us to become ammunition for Anti Freedom activists.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Well said.

Dogs can be terribly dangerous also. Do you go to condition ready every time you see someone walking their dog? I don't because I see people walking their dogs all the time and have only seen a dog that acted dangerously once or twice in my life.

This is what contributes to normalcy bias. It is a human mechanism that helps us determine if something is amiss. If more people saw people walking their firearms without incident they wouldn't instantly go to condition orange every time. But the anti-gun people know that the first step to getting public support is to have everyone's initial reaction to seeing a gun be fear. It is an easy strategy really, since most people are raised on TV/movies and the gun handling message is horrible at best. Make the people we all know that are responsible cover it up, we don't want "gun owner" to be associated with the picture of someone that looks like they have it all together.:rolleyes:

The reality is that, yes, if you are a busy functioning adult I cannot imagine carrying around a rifle. How would you get anything done? It screams "my purpose for being out of the house right now is to make a statement." I don't disagree with the statement, but I'm not going to pretend it is practical to tote around a rifle all day and get anything done.

:twocents:

Top Bottom