Man arrested for slapping stranger's 2 y/o at Wal-Mart... and a "what if" discussion

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So, some dude is irritated by a crying two year old at Wal-mart, tells the mother to shut the kid up or he will, then grabs the kid and slaps her 4 or 5 times. Really happened, see the link below.

So... I reckon the question here is: If this happened to us, do we draw in response to the assault he's committed by threatening our child, BEFORE he picks the child up, or wait until he snatches her from us and physically attacks her to draw and fire?

I would have drawn upon the threat. Perhaps he would have withdrawn without shots being needed, and I could have called the police and reported the assault on my child. If he advanced I would have to react to protect my child and myself, but at least this way there is a chance to protect my child without having to resort to deadly force. But.. if someone is physically attacking my child, shots being fired to protect him/her are a certainty.

Busted For Slapping Stranger's Crying Child - September 2, 2009

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i wish someone would threaten to shut my kid up. i wouldnt have drawn down on him, but i would have bounced his face off the floor. until i was too tired to move.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i wish someone would threaten to shut my kid up. i wouldnt have drawn down on him, but i would have bounced his face off the floor. until i was too tired to move.

:+1: I'm 6'4 and 180 pounds touch my kid your going to have a real bad day. Forget using a gun I'd beat them till my wife says enough. < That takes a long time by the way!

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    If some stranger ever raises a hand to my son like that I will have to call a lawyer afterward.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Draw ? Not me. Verbal threats towards my kids from a total stranger "would"
    bring a barrage of knuckles his direction before I had time to think about it.

Of the crying child, now thats different.
    My kids cried and fussed just like all kids do.

They can have ear aches, tooth aches or just want a toy.

I always respected others if my kids were fussy. We missed finishing a few meals because we respected others, paid for the meal and left.

Other times they were spanked at eating establishments because it was needed.

You lay a hand on me or mine, you better have a bigger stick.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    that guy must have been on drugs. what could possess a sober person to touch someone elses child? i dont think anyone is that high strung normally. im guilty of not so politely telling people to remove their crying baby from movies, or restaurants...but manhandling the offending kid never crossed my mind.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    that guy must have been on drugs. what could possess a sober person to touch someone elses child? i dont think anyone is that high strung normally. im guilty of not so politely telling people to remove their crying baby from movies, or restaurants...but manhandling the offending kid never crossed my mind.

Exactly! I have no problem asking someone to get their kid under control if they are endangering themselves or others. But never touch another persons kid or threaten to.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Crying child? The parents need more compassion and help than anything else. Been there done that. I usually like to try and convey a "Sorry your kid is crying. But don't be embarrassed about it" look to them. All our kids went through the screambloody'ell phase. Not a thing we could do to placate them.

I say if you find a kid that likes to cry a lot, invite those parents to the political town halls and rallies to drown out the Obamatards! :)

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky

Um you sir have never been to Hamilton county. Wander around Carmel for about 10 minutes and you'll have a whole new outlook on what it means to be "High stung"

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Not being a parent , I'm biased . I think more kids AND parents should be slapped . Not that this guy was right in doing it .

Parents ESPECIALLY for NOT raising these little monsters and turning them loose on the world thinking that whatever they choose to do should be alright and nobody should have a problem with it .

*** whippings worked LONG before Dr. Spock and a pill for every " behavioral disorder " .

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    for sure more parents need brutal slappings. i dont think ill ever be able to spank my daughter though. ill just leave it to her mom. but when she gets fussy somewhere, i usually give it about 5 minutes, and if i cant get her calmed down in that time, ill leave. it sucks, but i dont want to be the guy ruining other peoples times.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So, some dude is irritated by a crying two year old at Wal-mart, tells the mother to shut the kid up or he will, then grabs the kid and slaps her 4 or 5 times. Really happened, see the link below.

So... I reckon the question here is: If this happened to us, do we draw in response to the assault he's committed by threatening our child, BEFORE he picks the child up, or wait until he snatches her from us and physically attacks her to draw and fire?

I would have drawn upon the threat. Perhaps he would have withdrawn without shots being needed, and I could have called the police and reported the assault on my child. If he advanced I would have to react to protect my child and myself, but at least this way there is a chance to protect my child without having to resort to deadly force. But.. if someone is physically attacking my child, shots being fired to protect him/her are a certainty.

Busted For Slapping Stranger's Crying Child - September 2, 2009

If necessary, yes, draw, however it is often repeated that when you put a pistol on your hip, you basically agree that it's for use only in protection from a deadly force assault. You basically agree to take a lot of :poop: and not go all "mighty hero".

You do NOT have a duty to retreat; the law is very clear on that, but it might be more prudent to pick the kid up, withdraw, and notify management. Store security footage plus the credit card this *rectal orifice* uses to pay will be plenty to identify him and allow a complaint to be filed against him. Press charges for intimidation, which, considering he's threatening to commit battery on a minor, is a felony, and this person will not bother you or your child again for a very, very long time.

Personally, I don't want to put someone in the ground because they happened to be having a rough day. I'm not going to let them hurt my kid because of it, either, but if I have a way to avoid doing either one, I'd much prefer that to having either my child or I have to live with the memory of a very permanent solution to a very temporary problem. If he decides to escalate further, you can as well, but I would almost certainly make that my last option, not my first.

Blessings,
    Bill

WabashMX5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Draw, no. Unless he's carrying a Louisville Slugger from the sporting-goods aisle, charging at us full-tilt, etc., it's not a lethal-force situation in my mind.

Put his nads where his tonsils were and break his nose after fair warning, yes:

Dimwit: "Shut your kid up or I will."

Me: "Lay a finger on my son, and you'll be having a VERY bad day."

If Dimwit backs down, fine. If Dimwit continues the threat, I'd respond in kind. I doubt lethal force would be "in kind."

And as a parent, a screaming fit in a restaurant, theater, etc. is one thing; the other patrons are there to relax and you need to be sensitive to it. Screaming in a Wal-Mart? Not so much.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    another thought, are you really going to fire on someone who is in that close of proximity to your child? especially if they are using open handed slaps? that seems a bit foolish.

Have you considered, and practiced, how close your family may be if you ever have to fire? Have you considered that you may have to, for example, fire past your wife to hit the guy running at her with a knife from behind? How 'bout leaving a grocery store, holding your kid's hand, when an armed threat approaches from that side. Defending your kid could well require firing over his head. You certainly may not have time to maneuver for a better shot.

I'm trained to fire past hostages. I'd have no issue taking such a shot. Nor will I permit my child to be battered, open hand or not. I'm only 5'6" so hand to hand combat is a risky proposition for me, and for those I'm engaged with since my training was aimed at breaking things. I've got no legal or moral obligation to allow my child to suffer harm or physical battering, nor do I have an obligation to defend my child with fisticuffs. Threaten my child, and I'll use the most effective tool at my disposal to defend him. I think that's a morally defensible position. I'd sleep soundly.

BTW... you seem to think open handed slaps are incapable of causing serious injury or death. You do know that's incorrect, right?

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    I can say with 100% certainty that should someone ever be stupid enough to lay a FINGER on either of my kids, they would pray for merciful death, just to get away from the hellish pain being inflicted upon them. That being said, I doubt I would draw, as that would deprive me of the satisfaction of removing his / her teeth with repeated blows to their respective pie-holes........:D

Top Bottom