• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is Texas we are talking about I say they kill him in less that two years?

Plenty of time for his "manifesto" to be written and released, and copycats with similar mindsets to read it, agree with it, and carry out similar attacks on vulnerable targets.

The cycle will continue, on and on, with more frequency, until 2A is gone.

Ideally that'll be at the end of, or beyond my time on this Earth.

But that is absolutely inevitable.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with none of this... mainly because of the potential for the innocent to get caught up in this web, and then quickly "dealt" with.

It pretty much seems that most if not all of these cases are pretty cut & dry as to who carried out one of these attacks. When was the last time there was any question as to who did it? People who carry out such attacks will never have a positive impact on society and will never be released to be a productive member of society. Why burden tax payers with housing mass killers?
    In cases that are so cut & dry, justice should be quickly carried out and the penalty needs to be severe.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Mandatory death penalty at the state level without a fair trial?

What could possiblt go wrong?

Who said anything about not getting a fair trial?
    I'm all for a fair trial with justice being carried out swiftly. I don't see the need for years of trial research and news clips of the killer go to/from court or clips of the killer sitting in court getting more air time.
    Most of these cases are cut & dry as to who did it. That is where all the blame lies, so just get on with it. Arrest, file paper work, set trial date. Then give 90 days from date of conviction for a case review to be sure the trial was fairly carried out in accordance with law. If nothing is found to be a problem...hang 'em high.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    This is Texas we are talking about I say they kill him in less that two years?

My understanding is that since he is 17 the death penalty is not an option. I believe i read that in one of the articles on this, talking about the charges filed against and possible penalties.
    Damn shame cause he needs to go straight to hell on the express lane!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It pretty much seems that most if not all of these cases are pretty cut & dry as to who carried out one of these attacks. When was the last time there was any question as to who did it? People who carry out such attacks will never have a positive impact on society and will never be released to be a productive member of society. Why burden tax payers with housing mass killers?
    In cases that are so cut & dry, justice should be quickly carried out and the penalty needs to be severe.

I agree that in these particular cases, guilt is pretty obvious. I'm more concerned about how this would be exported to other instances.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    This. 24/7 on multiple channels.
    They changed suicide reporting because of the copycat effect.
    So I wonder if they're doing this for ratings, or in order to force a copycat effect.

All of the major networks decided that during coverage of sporting events, when a fan runs out on the field to disrupt a game, the cameras ALWAYS cut away. Their reasoning is that by depriving these people of the attention they seek, this behavior becomes less common. The media KNOWS they can do the same with school shootings, they just choose not to.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree that in these particular cases, guilt is pretty obvious. I'm more concerned about how this would be exported to other instances.

I get that, but isn't it possible to write a law that is clear and has a focused intent of what crimes such a law would be applied to?
    I would like to think a law could be focused on killers who specifically targets schools, churches, malls or any large social gathering or an attack deemed a terrorist attack. When we know who is at fault, move the process along rather than allowing it to be a burden on productive citizens who pay for it.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Potential NSFW

[video=youtube;K3VQULyT390]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3VQULyT390[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The media broadcasts things that people want to see. If anyone has watched more than 10 minutes of this tragedy, then I'm missing reason for their complaints. If you feed the beast you're just as guilty for it's actions as anyone else.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The media broadcasts things that people want to see. If anyone has watched more than 10 minutes of this tragedy, then I'm missing reason for their complaints. If you feed the beast you're just as guilty for it's actions as anyone else.

Our brains are wired different with the advent of social media and personal electronics over the last decade. We crave this sort of broadcasting, signal boosting of information. Perhaps it's the desire to be considered "first"... I know I'm guilty of it, as I'm sure most of INGO knows.

This can't be fixed. You can't take away something that you've been given to this extent.

We're going to grow more and more desensitized to harsh news, we're going to crave more and more information to bolster our ideals and tribes, we're going to tear each other apart in the name of that... and with each passing year, we'll hand over more freedoms until we're no different than the UK.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What we need here is some common sense media reform. I'm not talking about getting rid of the 1st amendment or freedom of speech, just some common sense media reforms to not encourage copycat shooters.

#1) A limit of ten (10) minutes of coverage per mass shooting per day per channel. This is just like limiting high capacity magazines. This is common sense. We don't need more coverage than this. You can report, but ya'll sure as heck better boil down some good info into the time you have.

#2) You can state the shooters name, because that is information the public may require. However, you cannot show how he/she lived, what their life or lifestyle was like. We don't need to know his/her lifestyle. That is irrelevant information to any but forensic psychologists and LE.

#3) If a media station wants to post the picture of the turd, then that must be one (1) picture only, and that supplied by the local LE in charge. We don't need every childhood photo, nor any variation in coverage. We're not saying you cannot post the pic, only which one you can.

#4) You may not post nor air any pictures or video of the dead bodies. This is entirely unnecessary for the public consumption. We don't need pictures to understand that something bad happened.

#5) You may not interview anyone that speculates upon why this occurred. Only LE that has taken a statement of fact by the alleged perpetrator may be published. We don't need to wildly speculate about what may or may not have happened.

#6) You may not interview grieving family members. We don't need to be told how bad they feel. We know they feel like their guts have been ripped out. This is unnecessary and irrelevant information.

I think that would be a fair start to putting the shoe on the other foot.

Regards,

Doug

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What we need here is some common sense media reform. I'm not talking about getting rid of the 1st amendment or freedom of speech, just some common sense media reforms to not encourage copycat shooters.

#1) A limit of ten (10) minutes of coverage per mass shooting per day per channel. This is just like limiting high capacity magazines. This is common sense. We don't need more coverage than this. You can report, but ya'll sure as heck better boil down some good info into the time you have.

#2) You can state the shooters name, because that is information the public may require. However, you cannot show how he/she lived, what their life or lifestyle was like. We don't need to know his/her lifestyle. That is irrelevant information to any but forensic psychologists and LE.

#3) If a media station wants to post the picture of the turd, then that must be one (1) picture only, and that supplied by the local LE in charge. We don't need every childhood photo, nor any variation in coverage. We're not saying you cannot post the pic, only which one you can.

#4) You may not post nor air any pictures or video of the dead bodies. This is entirely unnecessary for the public consumption. We don't need pictures to understand that something bad happened.

#5) You may not interview anyone that speculates upon why this occurred. Only LE that has taken a statement of fact by the alleged perpetrator may be published. We don't need to wildly speculate about what may or may not have happened.

#6) You may not interview grieving family members. We don't need to be told how bad they feel. We know they feel like their guts have been ripped out. This is unnecessary and irrelevant information.

I think that would be a fair start to putting the shoe on the other foot.

Regards,

Doug
    260g5k4.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    So let me get this straight. This kid wore every offensive thing possible, never talked to anyone, wore a trench coat every day of the year, and his hobby was talking about school shootings.

And nobody cared to have him checked up on?

...Right. Of course, it's the NRA's fault.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So let me get this straight. This kid wore every offensive thing possible, never talked to anyone, wore a trench coat every day of the year, and his hobby was talking about school shootings.

And nobody cared to have him checked up on?

...Right. Of course, it's the NRA's fault.

But he's still a good kid.
    He was just starting to come out of his shell and get his life together too.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    J.J. Watt to pay for the funerals of all 10 Santa Fe High School shooting victims, according to the senior director of communications for the Houston Texans.

Top Bottom