Maine nurse won't observe Ebola quarantine - your take?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    These people present the potential of great risk and harm to the American people.

"Liberty" is nice in a conceptual world, but this is the real world and safety is what matters most.

I say lock up the Japs... and if you see something, say something.

The state has your best interest at heart.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The nurse is a selfish Beotch. She is potentially deadly to a large portion of this country. She should be willing take the precaution for the sake of decency. Frankly I do not think it should even be an issue.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Quarantine is isolation. It's just pre-emptive. I understand the difference. I appreciate the "words have meaning" approach as well. But the difference is about as wide as the gap between a split hair. The take-home point is that exposure should result in some quality alone time. You can argue whether that's quarantine or isolation till the cows come home. It doesn't really matter.

It's not really debatable when using medical terms. They mean different things. It may not really matter for the sake of discussion, but the discussion does start to get confusing when terms get intermingled. That's the only reason I brought it up.

Isolation vs Quarantine - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    I'm surprised that liberty loving gun owners are not coming to her defense. Public safety is the excuse most frequently used by the anti-gun crowd.

Rule of law is a good thing. What law has she broken?

Involuntary quarantine is de facto incarceration or at least house arrest. This should come after due process of law, not based on someone's opinion even if it is the opinion of the majority of the public.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I'm surprised that liberty loving gun owners are not coming to her defense. Public safety is the excuse most frequently used by the anti-gun crowd.

I thought people around here would say stuff like: "This is why we've got guns. When Barack Hussein sends his jackbooted goon squad to quarantine us, we'll be able to take care of tyranny."

So: Ebola + Liberals > Gun Owners???

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Rule of law is a good thing. What law has she broken?

Involuntary quarantine is de facto incarceration or at least house arrest. This should come after due process of law, not based on someone's opinion even if it is the opinion of the majority of the public.

Gun safety...........health threat......what are you even saying. This is the farthest stretch I have read so far. What are you drinking???

Due process.....what are you thinking. She has broken no laws but "May" be a health risk and she "May" not be.
    Lets send her to your house for a time to see if she is. Work for you.

What does the law have to do with this at all???

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I thought people around here would say stuff like: "This is why we've got guns. When Barack Hussein sends his jackbooted goon squad to quarantine us, we'll be able to take care of tyranny."

So: Ebola + Liberals > Gun Owners???

What......I see the need for purple here.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    [STRIKE]The nurse is[/STRIKE] Gun owners are selfish Beotchs. [STRIKE]She is[/STRIKE] They are potentially deadly to a large portion of this country. [STRIKE]She[/STRIKE] They should be willing take the precaution for the sake of decency. Frankly I do not think it should even be an issue.

Said every liberal after a mass shooting.;)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Firstly...
    I keep reading about people not being contagious unless they are symptomatic,
    but is it for sure a proven medical fact that you can't be a carrier/spreader of the virus without actually succumbing to it yourself?

She is pretty so she is used to getting her way.

55100862.jpg

Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    As trigger happy as the cops are anymore I'm not sure she should be going for a stroll at the Mall.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Not even close. You are way off base. As it has been said, it is a wild stretch to attempt to compare the two.

I didn't make any judgement whether you statement or the statements made by liberals after a mass shooting are right or wrong. Just that they are same.

Both claim that the objects of their derision are selfish and dangerous and lack common decency.

Both claim that certain individuals should gladly give up fundamental rights for the sake of the group.

Both claims are based on fear and both have very debatable sets of "facts" to justify the fear.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    We have been quarantining people since the Middle Ages. Suddenly we are too enlightened to allow it...

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I didn't make any judgement whether you statement or the statements made by liberals after a mass shooting are right or wrong. Just that they are same.

Both claim that the objects of their derision are selfish and dangerous and lack common decency.

Both claim that certain individuals should gladly give up fundamental rights for the sake of the group.

Both claims are based on fear and both have very debatable sets of "facts" to justify the fear.

Twisting things out of context is an easy task to perform. The comparison can be made in any case. Example cars as deadly weapons - drinking and driving, yelling fire in a crowed theater, etc. Without some rules you simply have pure chaos in a society where everyone does exactly as they please. A person can claim to be liberty loving and really only desires anarchy. INGO is a great place for debating isssues but it also is a place of very extreme views. Is this really reflective of our society or just a reflection of people drawn to a gun culture?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    INGO is a great place for debating isssues but it also is a place of very extreme views. Is this really reflective of our society or just a reflection of people drawn to a gun culture?
    We surely get a higher than average sampling of "extremists" here because I meet very few people out in the real world that think like many on here do. I think it may be because that sort of person doesn't have a real life (or friends) and so spend all their time on internet sites.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    This is a temporary measure. If you want to compare it to guns: if I go to a colts game and I have to disarm because they don't allow guns-I did it voluntarily. This lady went to Africa VOLUNTARILY. It's not like they picked some random person off the street to quarantine.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    This is a temporary measure. If you want to compare it to guns: if I go to a colts game and I have to disarm because they don't allow guns-I did it voluntarily. This lady went to Africa VOLUNTARILY. It's not like they picked some random person off the street to quarantine.

That is an excellent point.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Firstly...
    I keep reading about people not being contagious unless they are symptomatic,
    but is it for sure a proven medical fact that you can't be a carrier/spreader of the virus without actually succumbing to it yourself?

There is significant anecdoctal evidence that people aren't contagious until they show symptoms. There is a little bit of research that correlates with that. But it's far from a "fact". The other problem is the definition of "symptoms". Because viruses start out with general lethargy and fever, and because everyone responds differently, it is possible some people are shedding virus while they are still walking around.

What do we really fear? The epidemiological characteristics of Ebola and our preparedness

Transmission of Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever: A Study of Risk Factors in Family Members, Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1995

[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom