Maine nurse won't observe Ebola quarantine - your take?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Twisting things out of context is an easy task to perform.

The context is irrelevant. My comments were directed at the similarities in the arguments, not the validity of either.

It's easy for an anti-gunner to call on us to lay down our arms for the greater good based on their set of "facts". It affects their life in no meaningful way. It requires no sacrifice on their part.

It's easy to demand that Nurse Ginger be locked up for the greater good. The "facts" surrounding the ease with which Ebola is transmitted, and even the time period from exposure to symptoms, are suddenly in question, now that the disease is in Murica.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I believe she sees her confinement is based on politics and fear rather then science. For once I have to agree with Rambone.
    However, if it were me, I would do the confinement. Sometimes being right is not always the best course. As others have stated, we don't know enough about this disease to take absolute conclusions. There is more than one form of this virus, and viruses mutate.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    She should be arrested and confined for the 21 days . She thinks she's fine because she doesn't have any symptoms yet .

To that I'd say , neither did the Dr. until he got it a week later .

These educated idiots that want to run around town ought to understand that just because "science" doesn't suggest the disease can or can't do something doesn't mean can't or won't do it . We don't know what we don't know yet .

Automatic quarantine should be mandatory for anybody having possible contact , period .

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    She should be arrested and confined for the 21 days . She thinks she's fine because she doesn't have any symptoms yet .

To that I'd say , neither did the Dr. until he got it a week later .

These educated idiots that want to run around town ought to understand that just because "science" doesn't suggest the disease can or can't do something doesn't mean can't or won't do it . We don't know what we don't know yet .

Automatic quarantine should be mandatory for anybody having possible contact , period .

I'm with ya on this. Kinda like the dog bite story..... I know the dog don't bite....You know the dog don't bite....but does the dog know he don't bite?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    What exactly are the terms of her quarantine? I don't have a problem with her going on a bike ride. She is still limiting her contact to her boyfriend. If she goes in a convenience store, that's different. Sure she could have an accident and require help, but that could happen at home. I don't know what the states rules are but I think limiting her contact to a handful of people is a reasonable quarantine.

.... although "ebola-lady going on a bike ride" is sure to make some late night television fodder

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    It's not really debatable when using medical terms. They mean different things. It may not really matter for the sake of discussion, but the discussion does start to get confusing when terms get intermingled. That's the only reason I brought it up.

Isolation vs Quarantine - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Right. And I have a 17 round CLIP in my Ruger SR9. Oh, And I'm glad I got the lifetime Indiana CCW permit.

(FWIW, Dusty88, I'm agreeing with you here.)

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    In spite of what I said earlier, I like this nurse. She's got more balls than folks here who whine about rights, but that's all they do. If she turns out to be Ebola Mary, I take it all back.......See, I can have it both ways.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    HOW CAN YOU RESPECT THE RIGHTS OF ONE PERSON AT THE EXPENSE OF THE RIGHTS OF ANOTHER? Sorry to yell, but I take this very personally because exposure to her (if she's infected) would pretty much kill me outright [bad word] dead. That offends the heck out of me. It's like that whole fist thing, your right to swing your fist ends at my nose. Her right to wander the countryside spewing a deadly virus ends at my nose as well. Does she have it? Dunno. Let's make marklar damn sure before she comes up behind me in the checkout line at farkin Kroger. I'm not ready to check out yet.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I just can't believe, in all this uproar, that one of the slackers I work with hasn't claimed to have ebola just to get out of work!:):

Seriously, I've heard some awesome excuses over the years.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Very interesting, probably mostly good news:

Asymptomatic infections suggest immunity Ebola control: effect of asymptomatic infection and acquired immunity : The Lancet

Serology testing has shown people in communities affected with Ebola, who never had any symptoms, have antibodies. That indicates possibly that some people may get exposed and never get sick. These people may be able to help with treatment of others, or even donate antibodies. It may also mean that a community that gets reinfected with a similar strain may not see many sick patients the second time around.

An unlikely but potential downside is that these people are unknowingly shedding virus for a short time while fighting it off. That doesn't happen with many diseases, and when it does it's usually for a short time but it will have to be investigated. It's going to be hard to do because it would mean testing a lot of people frequently for both the virus and later for antibodies.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    My thoughts on the nurse and Bikegate2014.

She has tested negative for the virus twice.
    She doesn't have any symptoms as far as we know.
    Therefore she does not ebola and is not contagious.

If it wasn't for the reporters stalking her house, she probably would have had contact with no one on her hour long bike ride since it seems she lives out in the country with little to few neighbors. If she lived in the city, I might be a little more concerned.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    My thoughts on the nurse and Bikegate2014.

She has tested negative for the virus twice.
    She doesn't have any symptoms as far as we know.
    Therefore she does not ebola and is not contagious.

I think it's unlikely she has Ebola, based on the stats and averages of other Ebola healthcare workers.
    The fact she has no symptoms and tests negative today absolutely does NOT indicate that she won't test positive or have symptoms tomorrow. During the incubation period of a disease, there isn't enough virus to show up on tests.

If it wasn't for the reporters stalking her house, she probably would have had contact with no one on her hour long bike ride since it seems she lives out in the country with little to few neighbors. If she lived in the city, I might be a little more concerned.
    Yeah, I agree the bike ride would be ok. And it's amusing to see all over the media.

If they get a court order, think of the repercussions for everyone. I mean, they don't even have to prove you have something, just suspect you do.

Quarantine law is complicated but already spells out criteria; it's different in different states and agencies. Apparently whatever authority they want to use for her, requires a court order either for the individual or to institute the authority for her and others with identical criteria (ie Ebola healthcare worker). Whether or not they use it abusively doesn't really have much to do with her. Quarantine authority already exists.

Top Bottom