• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Delete this post, NOW. No you cannot register it. You MUST forfeit it at the nearest police department. Being in possession of that gun will land you in PRISON. Do not keep it, do not speak any more of it.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Well, you could keep it, and risk being arrested and spending 10 years in prison, losing your right to own firearms altogether, as well as your right to vote, or, you can turn it in immediately and lose the Thompson. Either way, you lose the Thompson, but you lose a lot more by trying to keep it.

Good luck.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    You can torch cut the receiver into four pieces (the LEGAL way to destroy the receiver) and then build a DUMMY gun with the parts & pieces. Or, you can pull off every part and LOSE the receiver in a boating accident - since the receiver is the only regulated part. The parts kit (less receiver) that you pull off of the receiver is worth $500-$1000 depending on model and condition.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You can torch cut the receiver into four pieces (the LEGAL way to destroy the receiver) and then build a DUMMY gun with the parts & pieces. Or, you can pull off every part and LOSE the receiver in a boating accident - since the receiver is the only regulated part. The parts kit (less receiver) that you pull off of the receiver is worth $500-$1000 depending on model and condition.

"Legally" it needs to be demilled by a ATF proved armorer. "Technically" it's not just a hacksaw/torch job. So much of the receiver is destroyed in the process. There is a paper trail leading up to the guns destruction. Then it's no longer a fire arm. No one wants to hear it, and it's a hard thing to do. But just turn it in to the ATF. You'll sleep better at night. You dodn;t want to get caught with that thing.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    ....MG inheritance & registration question...

The ATF considers "innocent possession" to occur when such an inheritance occurs and the heir acts immediely upon suspecting the MG is illegal.

There is much disagreement on just what has to be done to a MG receiver to neuter it. The ATF has published detailed instructions for what has to happen to MG receiver before importation and many people assume the same must happen to all other receivers. The statute saya that the MG must not be readilly restorable.

Also, there is paperwork that can be considered a defacto registration in some instances.

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    If there aren't papers, I'd go with having the receiver destroyed, then building a semi-auto clone with the parts. That would be the closest you're gonna get. Unlike illegal immigrants, illegal machineguns get no amnesty.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    If there aren't papers, I'd go with having the receiver destroyed, then building a semi-auto clone with the parts. That would be the closest you're gonna get. Unlike illegal immigrants, illegal machineguns get no amnesty.

He cannot build a semi clone with the parts, as the barrel is too short, and it fires from an open bolt. He could BUY a current production, semi-auto Thompson for what he can get by selling the parts.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    OP, instead of having all of us internet gun gurus tell you what to do, why don't you call Guy Relford, Grant Liston, or one of our other member 2A lawyers? Then you can get actual legal advice.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    1. you being an heir means if it ever was registered you would be allowed to transfer it legally into your possession tax free! Is it worth it to you to get a gun lawyer & request info from ATF for a possible $25k+ gun?

2. even if it's not registered, everything minus the registered receiver (which you could surrender disassembled by itself) is worth thousands to collectors and is perfectly legal to own. Turning over the receiver, keeping the parts, doing a form 1 to create an SBR should be legal as well.

Get a lawyer because IANAL and neither are the knuckleheads in this thread that are telling you to destroy or surrender a valuable weapon without doing any research!!!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    No, they don't. I know what I'd do and I consider myself a law abiding person.

Well it's just a shame that a piece of history could possibly have to be destroyed/greatly altered or surrendered depending on roads taken.

I would do as some of these guys said OP! I would contact an attorney who is well versed in such things and go from there rather than ask a bunch of us. Hop I think has you on the right path.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012

Semi-auto versions of a Thompson MG are very very difficult to make using the full-auto parts kit. Google it, read, and judge for yourself.

Is there any chance the Thomson is a Colt? In that case the parts set could be worth over $10K.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I was clearly mistaken. I do not know that much about Thompsons. That being said, I do agree with the lawyer idea. This is too serious an issue to not get professional advice.

Top Bottom