• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    I have been looking at the m&p 9mm for a while now, but I have wanted to shoot one prior to me picking one up. So patiently, I have been waiting for a close friend to shell out the cash so I didnt have to :D. Nothing Yet.

So I will ask others to compare the m&p to a glock 17. Since I have a 17, I can compare them in my mind before handing close to 550.00 over to a local gun shop.

Im not looking for a debate, but I would like to know the pros and cons of each, by some others who have shot both.

Thanks for your time.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I have been looking at the m&p 9mm for a while now, but I have wanted to shoot one prior to me picking one up. So patiently, I have been waiting for a close friend to shell out the cash so I didnt have to :D. Nothing Yet.

So I will ask others to compare the m&p to a glock 17. Since I have a 17, I can compare them in my mind before handing close to 550.00 over to a local gun shop.

Im not looking for a debate, but I would like to know the pros and cons of each, by some others who have shot both.

Thanks for your time.

For me........
    Glock pros......proven platform, reliable
    Glock cons......feels like a 2x4 in my hand, awful grip angle, not made in the USA

M&P pros.....a newer version of a proven platform pioneered by Glock, reliable, comfortable in my hand, Made in the USA!!!
    M&P cons.....not a huge fan of the stock trigger

To me, my tendencies favor the M&P, not only because I find it more comfortable to shoot, but it's made in America, which is a big deal to me
    :patriot:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Thanks, will consider... Hows the accuracy

From my experience, they are both very accurate pistols. Since I find the M&P more comfortable to shoot, then I naturally have better accuracy with them. It really comes down to what feels right in your hand. If you like the feel of the M&P, then I don't think you will be dissapointed in it's performance. If you prefer the Glock's feel, then stick with what works for you.:)

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My accuracy improved quite a bit when I moved from the Glock to the M&P platform. My accuracy improved even more when I added the Apex sear to my M&P's.

pro9hst.jpg

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I've had both and like both for different reasons. Eventually I sold my Glock and replaced it with an M&P. I like the feel of the M&P better and the tigger as well. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I agree, hard to go wrong either way.

Glock is Old School and foreign, M&P is new school and made in the USA.

BlackJack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Mid North Indiana
    I own both a G17 and an M&P. I like both. I like the look of the M&P a little better since it is not as blocky as the Glock. Also being able to switch out the back strap on the M&P was a great sales point. I use one size and my wife uses another. I do not think you can go wrong with either.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Is glock no longer located in georgia? I know they aren't based out of America, but I'm sure s&w don't totally manufacture here either.

I vote glock, I have a 23. I've shot and handled many glocks, 9, 40, 357 sig, and 45.

However M&ps are good firearms.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I fly in to ATL often and all of the TSA agents are carrying M&P's. With that said I also carry an M&P9. I cant speak more highly of this pistol.

Gabby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Ellettsville
    I had a Glock for years and thought I'd never get rid of it, then I held a M&P in the gun shop. I traded it the next day and haven't looked back. The one thing I liked about the Glock was the numerous after market parts to customize it to your liking. The M&Ps will catch up in this area eventually.

CW9

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have had glock for a few years now, with a 3.5 trigger and night sights, its my main go to gun and I love it. Couple a weeks ago I picked up an M&P 9mm and just got it to the range. Lets just say its my new go to gun. I will still use my Glock, but the quality of the M&P is far beyond Glock in my opinion. Lets just say the middle of the target was gone after a box of 9mm.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I have an M&P .40, and a Glock 17 9mm. I will compare and contrast for you as best I can, aside from the differences in the cartridges, the guns function in a fairly similar manner.

There are no external safeties that exist on either the Glock or the M&P.

They are about the same size.

The M&P has ambidextrous slide releases. The Glock doesn't.

Also, the finish on the Glock is a bit more slippery than the M&P. Although, I did take the M&P shore fishing with me once, near the ghetto, and the humidity near the lake caused some rust spots, though they came off easily with the use of a silicon rag.

The sights on the Glock are different in that they have the square rear sight and one front dot. The M&P has standard three dots. I prefer the Glock sights because I am cross eye dominant, so, I can focus easier on the front sight.

The mag release is round on an M&P and interchangeable, the Glock's is square and you can't flip flop it. (I think).

I feel that mags "snap" in and out better with an M&P than a Glock.

The unloaded weight of both guns, feels similar, but I could be wrong.

The M&P comes with the interchangeable backstraps, which is kind of cool, and easy to do.

Accessories are more readily available for a Glock rather than the M&P.

Ah the triggers. The trigger pull on the Glock is 5.5 pounds. On the M&P, it is 6.5 pounds. The trigger on the Glock feels safer and more sturdy. The M&P trigger feels as though it has lest resistance and would more likely to discharge, accidentally, although common sense, training, and a good holster would make that a mute point.

Also, apparently, the M&P comes with external thumb safeties now. When I first got it, it didn't. Whatever S&W.

Both guns can cycle all kinds of ammunition without jamming. Although, the Glock does it better. During the recent ammunition crisis, I was forced to purchase Russian steel cased .40 for my M&P and 9mm for my Glock. The M&P didn't do well. Constantly jammed and had to tap rack and roll just to cycle. The Glock, did fine with the steel cased ammo, only one jam, but it was dirty like a hooker at a shriners convention.

Also, both guns do just dandy with all kinds of Hollow Point and Personal Defense ammo.

This is just my two cents, but I have both and like them both. But, I prefer my Glock, I am more accurate with the Glock, it is 9mm though. And, I feel as if I can beat the hell out of it without an issue. Not that the S&W is bad. It feels great in my hand, looks, and shoots great. But, I just prefer the glock, although I would like some features from the M&P integrated into the Glock. Hope this helps. Sorry if it is a long post.

:ingo:

Top Bottom