• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    To All,

Senator Lugar has a fine intention. Everyone should drive less. It would help the environment, reduce our dependence on oil, and save folks money.

Of course, everyone should eat healthier, exercise more, save more of their money, spend more time with their family, read more.... You get the point.

Most of the things I've seen over the last few years is the idea politicians have that because something would be "good" to do it is their responsibility to "guide" you to it. Or, if something is "bad" to do it is their responsibility to "help" restrain you from it.

Here in Fort Wayne they wanted to revitalize our downtown. A fine idea, a good thought. NOTHING wrong with the idea. Problem is, it is NOT governments responsibility to do this. Rather it is the private sectors responsibility. So Fort Wayne is wasting over $100 million of taxpayer money on Harrison Square. We've moved a baseball field about three (3) miles from one that was JUST PAID FOR in the summer of 2008 to our downtown with a new debt. This was done even though I ran for office opposing it AND I found college research that PROVED the building of sports arenas do not help communities economically.

I would rather have seen Fort Wayne lower their taxes overall, helping families save some money and allowing businesses to grow. Then the people or the businesses would grow where they wanted to, where it would be BEST for them.

The problem only lies partially at the feet of politicians. It also lies at the feet of citizens who have a problem and always run to elected officials to solve their problem INSTEAD of trying to do it themselves.

Think about how problems were solved over 50 years ago. Who did our grandparents turn to? Try: family, friends, neighbors, church, clubs, the Red Cross (and other nonprofits). They didn't ask politicians to solve their problems. When Mrs. O'Learys cow burned down Chicago how much Federal money did Chicago get? Answer: $0. When the great quake of 1906 hit San Francisco how much did the Fed pay? Answer $1 million OUT of approximately $250 Million in damages. PEOPLE donated money. People helped.

That idea of people helping people ended slowly through the last century. You really can't lay the blame at any one persons doorstep. Sure, some like President F.D. Roosevelt take more blame than others with massive government programs designed to help. And I'm sure that FDR meant well. He just didn't understand the long term damage to our culture, economy, and society by interfering.

Ask 100 people today, "what would you do if someone broke into your home while you were there?" Answer from most, "call the police". Ask 100 people 100 years ago same question. Their answer, "get my gun". The police are the government. Let them clean up the mess, let them protect us, let them take the risk.

Should Senator Lugar know better? Yes, I believe so. However, on a scale of 0% - 100% responsibility is he REALLY at 100%? This I do NOT believe. We the people must carry some of that burden. We the people are above 0%.

Respectfully,

Doug

Nanny state anyone?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Step one for lugar is the primary. Someone needs to run against him for the republican nomination.

Step two if that fails would be to vote democrat to oust him (he's already as liberal as any dem anyway) and then work on electing a new Republican next time around.

He's getting old... maybe he'll just pass in his sleep. :twocents:

I don't care dem or rep, just conservative and in touch with their constituents. :twocents:

Lt. Commander

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Ft. Wayne * Aboite
    To All,

Senator Lugar has a fine intention. Everyone should drive less. It would help the environment, reduce our dependence on oil, and save folks money.

Of course, everyone should eat healthier, exercise more, save more of their money, spend more time with their family, read more.... You get the point.

Most of the things I've seen over the last few years is the idea politicians have that because something would be "good" to do it is their responsibility to "guide" you to it. Or, if something is "bad" to do it is their responsibility to "help" restrain you from it.

Here in Fort Wayne they wanted to revitalize our downtown. A fine idea, a good thought. NOTHING wrong with the idea. Problem is, it is NOT governments responsibility to do this. Rather it is the private sectors responsibility. So Fort Wayne is wasting over $100 million of taxpayer money on Harrison Square. We've moved a baseball field about three (3) miles from one that was JUST PAID FOR in the summer of 2008 to our downtown with a new debt. This was done even though I ran for office opposing it AND I found college research that PROVED the building of sports arenas do not help communities economically.

I would rather have seen Fort Wayne lower their taxes overall, helping families save some money and allowing businesses to grow. Then the people or the businesses would grow where they wanted to, where it would be BEST for them.

The problem only lies partially at the feet of politicians. It also lies at the feet of citizens who have a problem and always run to elected officials to solve their problem INSTEAD of trying to do it themselves.

Think about how problems were solved over 50 years ago. Who did our grandparents turn to? Try: family, friends, neighbors, church, clubs, the Red Cross (and other nonprofits). They didn't ask politicians to solve their problems. When Mrs. O'Learys cow burned down Chicago how much Federal money did Chicago get? Answer: $0. When the great quake of 1906 hit San Francisco how much did the Fed pay? Answer $1 million OUT of approximately $250 Million in damages. PEOPLE donated money. People helped.

That idea of people helping people ended slowly through the last century. You really can't lay the blame at any one persons doorstep. Sure, some like President F.D. Roosevelt take more blame than others with massive government programs designed to help. And I'm sure that FDR meant well. He just didn't understand the long term damage to our culture, economy, and society by interfering.

Ask 100 people today, "what would you do if someone broke into your home while you were there?" Answer from most, "call the police". Ask 100 people 100 years ago same question. Their answer, "get my gun". The police are the government. Let them clean up the mess, let them protect us, let them take the risk.

Should Senator Lugar know better? Yes, I believe so. However, on a scale of 0% - 100% responsibility is he REALLY at 100%? This I do NOT believe. We the people must carry some of that burden. We the people are above 0%.

Respectfully,

Doug

Great post Doug... :yesway:

I shot off a hot little email to Mr. Lugar, what good it will do....

Scott

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    My letter to Lugar:

Senator Lugar,

I just saw a newspaper article where you endorsed a tax to raise the cost of gas $1 per gallon. This strikes me as extraordinarily ill advised. Raising the cost of energy and transportation during a major economic crisis can only make the situation worse. But even without the current crisis, it would be ill advised. If one wants to encourage the use of alternative, presumably "green" energy sources, one needs to support developing the enabling technologies to make the alternatives economically competitive. Working from the other end, putting additional burdens on current energy sources can only serve to put a brake on economic recovery and growth.

I strongly urge you to reconsider this position.

For all the good it will do....

Still, if he gets enough "not a good idea" type letters over the next four years he just might start thinking about job security.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Running for office

The suggestion for someone from INGO running for office is something I've actually looked into (Not against Lugar or Bayh, but against Carson). The problem is that running a successful political campaign takes considerable money and time. And, to an extent, the time part can be solved with money (freeing up that large chunk of time taken up with the task of earning a living).

Unfortunately, I don't have the money and I don't have the contacts for effective fund raising to gain the money--and I don't know anybody that I could wholeheartedly endorse who does (unless, maybe, Bill of Rights is hiding the fact that he's independently wealthy?)

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    It'll do you little good he knows he will always be re-elected in "his" state. :twocents:

And that is something that needs to be changed. The trick is getting enough people annoyed enough with him that they're willing to risk a short term "worse" (like, say, a Dem) in order to get the RINO out.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    this is what i sent to Lugar

Senator Lugar,

I just saw a newspaper article where you endorsed a tax to raise the cost of gas $1 per gallon. Raising the cost of energy and transportation during a major economic crisis can only make the situation worse for working families. You might want to go out and see how most Americans are living. Not all of us are U.S. senators and have plenty of money and an increase of $1 per gallon will seriously effect my life. For one, I am a college student at IUPUI, and I have to drive to class. I cannot afford to live on campus and walk. So this $1 increase will make it hard for me to get to class. When gas was $4 a gallon, I was seriously struggling. If one wants to encourage the use of alternative energy, one needs to support making it economically competitive and this needs to be done in the private sector.

Lugar said governments have two ways of changing people’s behavior: make it illegal or tax it. A price increase through higher taxes, he said, is “almost always the most efficient, least invasive and most transparent remedy for market failure.”

It is not the governments job to change people's behavior. If you can tell me where the government has the power to change people's behavior, please do so.

I strongly urge you to reconsider this position.

Rooster Cogburn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    MSG2 - Indianapolis
    This Goes Under WTF!?!?!?!

Anyone else see this today?

"This brings us to Sen. Richard Lugar, who unlike many politicians is not a hostage to the next election. As usual, Lugar is setting himself apart by thinking about tomorrow's issues today. In this case, the Indiana Republican is pushing a proposal to increase the federal gas tax by $1 or more to reduce the number of miles Americans drive and the demand for imported oil."

"Every dollar raised by the gas tax would be sent back to Americans through a cut in the payroll tax, higher Social Security checks or some other measure. Lugar insists this is a crucial selling point." :bs:

WTF people!!!! We are raving lunatics if we allow this to progress past committee. Just like the 22.4 million MORE smokers needed to help fund new health insurance provisions, we should just legalize maryjeeuana and be done with it. I think ole Dick Lugar is smokin' some himself!

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    As usual, Lugar is setting himself apart by thinking about tomorrow's issues today.

Dick thinks to himself, "Hmm... what has not been raped today that could possibly be raped tomorrow?"

porkpie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    And that is something that needs to be changed. The trick is getting enough people annoyed enough with him that they're willing to risk a short term "worse" (like, say, a Dem) in order to get the RINO out.

Right on! My barber and I had a discussion about this yesterday.

Top Bottom