• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dradef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Hello, I am from a small town in northern Indiana. I know a couple of guys who have applied for LTCH and have reported negative experiences with our local police. (both have clean records - both were previously in the military - my record is spotless as well, but I was never military)

One guy quoted the chief officer as saying he "didn't think people needed to be carrying guns in this town".

They have reported a four month wait with no word, and the other fellow, who applied later, has been waiting over two months. What I wonder is: is the system backlogged this far? Or could the local officer be delaying the process purposefully? (simply not sending the paperwork out etc..)

I plan to apply for my license to carry very soon and would like to know what I can do to expedite the process. I could also use some tips for dealing with this officer that does not want citizens to exercise the right to carry guns in "his town".

I would appreciate any advice you can give me. Thank you.

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, it depends on if the wait is from the state or your local guys..

The state's waiting list is that long right now, and there's no way around that..

If the locals are trashing applications, though, that's not right.. Find out if you can get the application signed and then mail to the state yourself.. then you KNOW who's taking so long..

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There are legal limits to the amount of time the state has to accept or reject your application. I don't know if that applies to the local portion of it, though. I think the only remedy is to file a lawsuit, though.

dradef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    I expected a somewhat long wait, but just thought I would ask due to the other comments that this officer has apparently made.

I always thought he was a good guy, friends with my grandfather and everything. But now that I have heard these accounts from two different people I have to wonder what my experience will be...

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    I would suggest calling to check on it. If you get the run around, make an appointment. If that doesn't work go up there and sit and wait to be seen.

They have no right to hold up paperwork.

My local paperwork took 5 business days to be approved. State...well that is a different story.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Hey, you've got to have a permit just to go to the range anyhow!!

Really, though, like Mills said, call and see what the procedure is.. I dropped off my paperwork and money for the Sheriff, and the lady called two days later and told me to come pick up my paperwork. I mailed it myself, and from there, the real wait begins..

If they're holding paperwork (or tossing it) then something is seriously wrong..

Where the heck is Kirk when you need him?! I bet he's got some law-based insight on this situation..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    IC 35-47-2-6
    Granting or rejecting initial application; renewals
    **** Sec. 6. (a) Every initial application for any license under this chapter shall be granted or rejected within sixty (60) days after the application is filed.
    ****(b) The period during which an application for the renewal of an
    existing license may be filed begins one hundred eighty (180) days before the expiration of the existing license. If the application for renewal of an existing license is filed within thirty (30) days of its expiration, the existing license is automatically........(

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    one would have to bring a civil suit the enfoce the law...
    and a judgee would probably dismiss any against the state right now, since they are working as fast as they can..

but if the local CLEO is sitting on the paper work......

dradef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Hey, you've got to have a permit just to go to the range anyhow!!

Well that's one beauty of life in rural Indiana; I can shoot in my own back yard if i feel like it. :)

If he were to say anything to me like he has to the others then I plan to mention that as one reason for getting the license. So I can legally transport firearms to and from the range. You never know when there might be a range event so I would probably be forced carry it with me all the time just in case. ;)

Do keep in mind, I have no evidence of foul play, just that he has made comments that in his opinion individuals should not be carrying guns in this town. (and that kind of talk bothers me)

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Hey, I've got a nice range of my own here in Delphi :) Sometimes, though, you may want to head to a GSSF shoot, or maybe head to Friday Night Steel down in Indianapolis.. heck, maybe even go to an INGO meetup! Gotsta have a permit for that..

I'd just call and see what's going on.. see how the permit process works in your town..

That also said, are you sure you're in the city limits?? If not, you'd have to go to your local Sheriff's Office anyhow..

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    If you can shoot in your back yard, are you out of the city limits? If you are, you should go to your county sheriff to do your permit application anyway.

dradef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    That also said, are you sure you're in the city limits?? If not, you'd have to go to your local Sheriff's Office anyhow..

I will have to check on that. If I am not then it is very near the line.

How does it work if I am outside the limits now, then wish to move to within the city limits at a later time? Will I have to deal with this officer for a change of address?

This thread was sort of brought on by my brother, he is definitely within the city limits and we were thinking about getting our permits at the same time. I guess if it turns out that I am outside the limits then he is on his own!! :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    How does it work if I am outside the limits now, then wish to move to within the city limits at a later time? Will I have to deal with this officer for a change of address?

No. Once you've gotten your license, the city is out of the picture (except for renewals for a 4 year). When you move, you just notify the ISP of a change of address.

dradef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Well guys, as it turns out I am currently outside of the city limits. :insert blushing smiley: (city limits of this town are a little smaller than I expected, but it's not far, 1/4-1/2mile at most)

I am still disappointed to hear the local chief of police openly voicing his opposition of people carrying weapons.

I will get in touch with the two guys that I know are waiting and see what the status is and let them know what I found out here today..

Thanks a lot!

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Marshall County Sheriff does not have a problem with signing off. He usually takes about 2 days from what I am told. I have few friends that live in the country and have had to go through the sheriff for heir LTCH.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    No. Once you've gotten your license, the city is out of the picture (except for renewals for a 4 year). When you move, you just notify the ISP of a change of address.

And I will add to Scutter's post that you would be better served to forget the 4-year, and go straight for a Lifetime Permit. Then you won't have to mess with renewals at all.

dradef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    And I will add to Scutter's post that you would be better served to forget the 4-year, and go straight for a Lifetime Permit. Then you won't have to mess with renewals at all.

I am planning to go with lifetime for that very reason; I already have too many things that require periodic renewal!

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    Marshall County process was pretty easy - I went to the new jail, filled out the paperwork on 12/31 and they told me to come back after Monday due to the holiday. I came back on Tuesday 1/6 with $50 cash, got fingerprinted and she sent me on my way with the paperwork and envelope addressed to ISP. Stopped at my bank on the way home to get $75 money order and notarize the application, then dropped it all off at the post office on the way home. Now the wait...

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    I guess I am lucky down here in the southern end. I went to my local pd when I first got my ltch 5 years ago. We filled in the paper work and did the prints and I picked up all the paper work 3 days later to send to the state.

When I renewed my permit last year to the lifetime permit I walked out with the paper work the day it was filled out. Went straight from the PD to the Post Office.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom