• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    So...you're complaining because you stood there and didn't ask to see it...

...what

It's a concept called customer service...

If I'm in a restaurant and the waiter doesn't see me, he'll hear me when I ask for his attention. Or his manager will.

Sometimes you just need to speak up.

Or....on the other hand, if they asked you if you needed anything when you came in the front door and you said "I'm just looking around"...perhaps you created the condition to which you were subjected?

Sorry it didn't work out for ya, but speak up next time. Squeeky wheels get the grease.

Shouldn't come to that. I don't want to spend my money at a place where they don't care enough to notice me. I think that's what the OP was getting at.

LOTS of window shoppers in the gun world. It's really not that hard to say "excuse me sir"

Sick of people expecting clerks to be mind readers...Since they offered help to the couple, this one seems to be on you.

Mind readers?!?!?! LUL WUT?? If someone comes into a shop, it doesn't take a mind reader to know to offer help. It's really not that hard to say, "How can I help you, sir/ma'am?"

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It is amazing sometimes how crummy people, that are in the retail sales business, are dealing with the public. But if that was an item I was interested in and thought it was a good deal, I don't think that apparently small slight, keep me from trying to make the deal. Now if there was something more to the story or the treatment was considerably worse than what I understood, I might not blame you.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    If I went to a shop with the intent on buying something I'd been window shopping for a day or three I woulda went right in and told the counterperson exactly what I wanted the first time he looked my way, done my business and left. Hopefully, more sooner than later.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Customer service is becoming a lost art in this country. Small businesses wonder why they are losing business to places like Walmart. It's because if I'm gonna get treated like crap I would rather save the most money too.
    For the small shops that still know how to treat customers like beech grove firearms and bradis, they will get my business before I shop anywhere else or online even if it means paying alittle more. I like being appreciated for giving them business just like I show my appreciation by giving them hard earned money.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    If I want something and the price is right I have no problem speaking up. I like going in and browsing with out some one looking over my shoulder. If I find something I have no problem seeking out help. Different strokes I guess.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It's gotten even worse since the panic, LGS's don't need to worry about customer service anymore, the next guy in the door will buy it. Don't even go in asking about a specific gun all you're are going to get is the lazy response of those are impossible to get or something along those lines. Hey lazy *** clerks instead of just blowing people off offer to take a deposit and call them when it comes in.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    OP I guess we see the world in different ways! When I go into a shop (gun or otherwise), I LIKE to be left alone to browse. When I see something I want to look at or talk about pricing, I ask! If the salesperson is busy, I expect an acknowledgement, if I don't get it I assume he didn't hear me. Then I will state loudly "Hey Bud when you get time will you help me?"

If he is just shooting the shXX, I expect him to help me then, if he is helping a customer or doing something, I don't mind waiting till he is done. I have never had it not work and I have been in many shops in my 71 years.
    Of course if I am in a hurry and he is just gabbing I will interrupt and tell him I am in kind of a hurry. If it ticks him off ok, better him than me. If I have ticked anyone off they have never shown it or said anything! :)::dunno:

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    OP I guess we see the world in different ways! When I go into a shop (gun or otherwise), I LIKE to be left alone to browse. When I see something I want to look at or talk about pricing, I ask! If the salesperson is busy, I expect an acknowledgement, if I don't get it I assume he didn't hear me. Then I will state loudly "Hey Bud when you get time will you help me?"

If he is just shooting the shXX, I expect him to help me then, if he is helping a customer or doing something, I don't mind waiting till he is done. I have never had it not work and I have been in many shops in my 71 years.
    Of course if I am in a hurry and he is just gabbing I will interrupt and tell him I am in kind of a hurry. If it ticks him off ok, better him than me. If I have ticked anyone off they have never shown it or said anything! :)::dunno:

I also like to be left alone, but does it bother you if someone just says "How can we help you?" or "Let us know if there is anything we can help you with!"? That's a legitimate question. I hate being bothered while I'm browsing, but if I don't get some sort of acknowledgement that they've seen me and are willing to help, I will not spend my money there.

junior438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    redkey
    you must act more interested to be taken seriously these days. to many people act like there scared to ask questions, thats probably why the no service.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Don't knock the beard, it really does work. I've been asked if I wanted to see something in EVERY LGS since I've grown it out :)

Although, they also know me, so that helps :)

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Don't knock the beard, it really does work. I've been asked if I wanted to see something in EVERY LGS since I've grown it out :)

Although, they also know me, so that helps :)

I already shaved my beard in anticipation of spring, whatever the hell that is, but I've always been asked if they could help? Maybe it's my carhartt jacket:dunno:

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Ive found

lately most gun shops are so busy its hard to help everyone and read minds. I just speak up and try not to get butt hurt over stupid crap at the LGS. If you ask for help and don't receive it, then it is time to get butt hurt.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I give the LGS a chance, if they pass, I buy off Internet. No butthurt, will give them a go next time. LGS loss, Internet is almost always cheaper anyway. BTW, it's rare I have to go Internet route, but does happen.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    lately most gun shops are so busy its hard to help everyone and read minds. I just speak up and try not to get butt hurt over stupid crap at the LGS. If you ask for help and don't receive it, then it is time to get butt hurt.

Again, I don't think it takes a mind reader to ask an individual walking into a gun shop if they need help with anything...

Shoe69b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I like it when they don't jump on me when I walk in. But I do agree sometimes they can be a little rude. They know they are going to sell the gun to someone. Wait till the water settle and it will change.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just a suggestion to the silent types in the LGS. Speak up. If all else fails, moon'em—that will get their attention.

I did a participant observation exercise at a local mall. It really is amazing how differently people act when they enter a store. Some get bent out of shape because the clerk offered to help as soon as the walked in the shop. Customer does a 180 and storms out muttering about pushy clerks who think everyone is a shoplifter. Others walk out muttering about the lousy service because they were there for five minutes and no one ever said a thing to them. What's a guy supposed to do? :dunno:

Same thing happens at church. New guy walks in, sits down, goes through the service, walks out, goes home. Complains to all his neighbors about the stuck up folks at First Church of the Arrogant So and Sos who never even greeted him. "No one said a word to me! Lousy #*&$%$_ people think they are too good to say 'Hello!'" Course the jerk completely forgets that he never spoke to anyone either. :rolleyes:

Two sides of the coin. Speak up. If the folks still do not respond, go to Walmart—or GAnder Mountain. They are always ready to take your cash. :):

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    So...you're complaining because you stood there and didn't ask to see it...

...what
    I used to help out at a gun store about 30 years ago and no I shouldn't have had to ask to see it. By the time he was over my way it would have seemed I would have been butting into the conversation with the couple. Poor customer service is all I'm saying.

Top Bottom