• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I was at PSS recently, and it took forever to get someone's attention, even though they weren't particularly busy at the time. Stood at the gun case for several minutes, repeatedly tried to make eye contact, finally had to ask someone. Ended up getting really crappy service from one of the dumbest salespeople I've ever met (and that's saying a lot). Owner was nearby and could/should have been able to observe the exchange, so I didn't feel compelled to go out of my way to pursue the issue with him.

I don't see that the OP named the shop, but I remember that PSS had a .22 Chiappa in the case, so I'm guessing that he got "helped" by the same folks I did.

Would like to hear a confirmation of the shop that he visited.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    ^^ -- if so, this will get even more interesting. Lots of PSS fans around here. I'm not one of them, but there are many.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I swear the things I see people getting upset over.... :rolleyes:

"Hey I'm standing here.... notice me"

Get your panties unwadded and ask. It's not that difficult.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    ^^ -- if so, this will get even more interesting. Lots of PSS fans around here. I'm not one of them, but there are many.

I love PSS and have spent a decent amount of money there. Unfortunately, they have lost business from me twice now. The latest was yesterday when I actually stood at the register with merchandise in hand waiting to check out for over 10 minutes. Bob was too busy *****ing to anyone who would listen about politics, how "****ed up" the country is, and how "****ty it is to be in the gun business right now" to notice myself or others behind me in line. I finally set my items down and left. :noway:

Merely quoting the reason I left the first time would likely get this thread closed and possibly a swarm of Blackhawks.

Lerious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    next visit make sure u express that your a serious about buying, you're not just here to window shop.

If they know they are going to make some money, they are going to give you a little more attentiveness

djkbmwguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Is there a chance that you forgot to take off your invisible suit? It really sounds like if you are standing at a counter with people passing by you and then nudging you out of the way that they are not even seeing you. Look in the mirror and make sure your visible.
    Next time you go into an LGS take bacon with you. You will be noticed.
    Sorry for your bad experience. I have a beard and usually have on an untucked flannel shirt which kind of says CC. I always have been asked if I need help. Of course I am not invisible either.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    A person should not have to beg (or even ask) for assistance in a retail establishment. But then, we all know gun shop employees (and even owners) are seldom retail geniuses.

It's really remarkable how many small businesses can stay open when run in an utterly incompetent and unprofessional manner, isn't it?

rherron9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    When I first started getting into pistols I visited the closest LGS to me. I was treated like I was a complete idiot. Now I did know very little about pistols. I choose the LGS over the box store for this very reason. I was hoping the small shop would understand I was a newbie and try to help me make a good selection. Instead I was talked down to my an employee. So I left. A friend suggested I go back and deal with the owner. He was very helpful and a good guy, when I brought up my other visit he said, "Yeah XXXX is like that sometimes" So i quit going there. If you know your employee is rude and runs off customers I'll spend elsewhere. I have found 2 other shops close and they both have great customer service and now get my business.

avcautoinc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    When I first started getting into pistols I visited the closest LGS to me. I was treated like I was a complete idiot. Now I did know very little about pistols. I choose the LGS over the box store for this very reason. I was hoping the small shop would understand I was a newbie and try to help me make a good selection. Instead I was talked down to my an employee. So I left. A friend suggested I go back and deal with the owner. He was very helpful and a good guy, when I brought up my other visit he said, "Yeah XXXX is like that sometimes" So i quit going there. If you know your employee is rude and runs off customers I'll spend elsewhere. I have found 2 other shops close and they both have great customer service and now get my business.

Sounds like the sheridan gun shop to me, stood there for 10-15 min while they were shooting the shi-t, i gave up and walked out

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    next visit make sure u express that your a serious about buying, you're not just here to window shop.

If they know they are going to make some money, they are going to give you a little more attentiveness

Just because I'm not spending any money today doesn't mean that I won't spend a bunch next week. If a business doesn't treat me well when I'm just looking, they won't see me when I'm buying.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Just because I'm not spending any money today doesn't mean that I won't spend a bunch next week. If a business doesn't treat me well when I'm just looking, they won't see me when I'm buying.

I remember this story about a boy who cried wolf...

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    As a shop manager, I find this kind of incident/thread extremely frustrating. Someone is more than willing to speak up on the internet after the fact, but not while they are in the shop when something can actually be done to remedy the situation.

We try our best to make sure all our customers have a positive shopping experience and get the help they need, but we are human and sometimes we stumble and neglect our duties, for whatever reason. When that happens, how are we supposed to fix the problem, if we don't even know there IS a problem?

Most of the time when I have contacted complaining customers after the fact, they can't tell me who the salesperson in question was, so the teaching value is greatly diminished; all I can do is issue a general reminder about what we need to do to provide good customer service, which in a group setting can often go unheeded, as everyone is sitting there thinking some other employee must the problem. Further, it does nothing to solve the issue of a customer not getting the gun he wanted, or the shop's reputation taking a hit.

So please, if you're in my shop and you aren't getting the standard of service you require, help us both out and SPEAK UP - say something to the salesperson in front of you, to another salesperson, or to a member of management, and we will get the situation resolved right then.

Thanks.
    I've never had anything happen like that at your shop, and no it wasn't PSS ( I rarely go in there). I know people have all had their share of issues at different gun shops and to be honest I really don't frequent any of them that often.
    Yea maybe I should have spoken up, maybe I should have done all the suggestions everybody has put forth to get the gun out of the case, but I really don't think I should have had to do that (that's what I like about this site and that's why I blew off a little steam cause I knew I would be supported and chastised) I am not going to name the shop (OK start back in on me again) because it is not important. Probably most of us have had this happen at one time or another and I do appreciate all the responses.
    And that's all I have to say about that.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I'm sure my LGS gets kinda frustrated with me, as I only buy FFL required items from him and 0 accessories. I know what their mark up is, so I'm sure they are aggravated I buy my item, pay sales tax, charge it to my card, get my sky miles, and then go home to shop for accessories from my various sources. I didnt realize there were rules to belonging as a LGS customer, but there are plenty of others who don't know what they need, and the store is willing to sell to them at full mark up. I'm sure this is why when I go into my "favorite" store, they don' jump eagerly, even though I've bought a truckload of iron from them.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Long ago I worked in retail and managed a store at one point. It is not the customer's responsibility to send up a flare when they are ready to purchase.

1) Greet the customer as soon as possible after giving them a moment to acclimate (light conditions, temperature, visual displays, etc). No one likes a sneak attack in the first 3 seconds but acknowledge their presence and make them welcome.

2) Ask if you can help them. Some customers know what they want and are in a hurry to purchase and leave.

3) If they say that they are just browsing then invite them to look around, maybe mention the sale you are having on item "X" and say "just let me know if you need anything".

At that point it is up to the customer to let you know when they require your assistance. That doesn't mean it is okay to disappear into the backroom for a sandwich. You stay visible but give them space without hovering.

Of course, if the store is packed with customers then most people "get it" and understand they are going to have to wave a hand when they need help. In the current madness I have had two retailers just holler over people's heads "let me know if you need something" and I am okay with that under those conditions.

As a retailer your job is to make the customer feel that you are there to serve them. The fact that you are making money doing it should not change the customer experience. Sometimes that even involves reading facial expressions, body language and taking social clues to figure out the best way to make their money appear in your register. Of course, it helps if you actually like people and have social skills.

Some customers expect a higher level of service (particularly those of us that remember when two people in uniform would come running to fill our tank, air our tires, check our oil, clean the windows and then offer trading stamps or a free glass). Some customers are just shy or overly polite. Regardless, they are just as likely to have money to spend as the rude or just less inhibited ones. Customers have money and you want them to give it to you then leave feeling like you were helping them so they will come back and repeat the process.

That is my opinion from working in retail many moons ago.

Last edited:

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    Long ago I worked in retail and managed a store at one point. It is not the customer's responsibility to send up a flare when they are ready to purchase.

1) Greet the customer as soon as possible after giving them a moment to acclimate (light conditions, temperature, visual displays, etc). No one likes a sneak attack in the first 3 seconds but acknowledge their presence and make them welcome.

2) Ask if you can help them. Some customers know what they want and are in a hurry to purchase and leave.

3) If they say that they are just browsing then invite them to look around, maybe mention the sale you are having on item "X" and say "just let me know if you need anything".

At that point it is up to the customer to let you know when they require your assistance. That doesn't mean it is okay to disappear into the backroom for a sandwich. You stay visible but give them space without hovering.

Of course, if the store is packed with customers then most people "get it" and understand they are going to have to wave a hand when they need help. In the current madness I have had two retailers just holler over people's heads "let me know if you need something" and I am okay with that under those conditions.

As a retailer your job is to make the customer feel that you are there to serve them. The fact that you are making money doing it should not change the customer experience. Sometimes that even involves reading facial expressions, body language and taking social clues to figure out the best way to make their money appear in your register. Of course, it helps if you actually like people and have social skills.

Some customers expect a higher level of service (particularly those of us that remember when two people in uniform would come running to fill our tank, air our tires, check our oil, clean the windows and then offer trading stamps or a free glass). Some customers are just shy or overly polite. Regardless, they are just as likely to have money to spend as much the rude or just less inhibited ones. Customers hav money and you want them to give it to you then leave feeling like you were helping them so they will come back and repeat the process.

That is my opinion from working in retail many moons ago.

This makes complete sense! :)

Top Bottom