• ...and so much more!
  • 12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    If I went to a shop with the intent on buying something I'd been window shopping for a day or three I woulda went right in and told the counterperson exactly what I wanted the first time he looked my way, done my business and left. Hopefully, more sooner than later.
    I hadn't been in there for awhile, but got some extra money and decided to make it on my way home to look. I made basically a complete circle around the store and never got asked if I could be helped. A lot of the people were busy as the store was moderately busy, but when you see someone standing there looking at something the whole time you are at the counter, then you reach in front of their line of sight and never even make eye contact.... sorry I'm not gonna ask to give you my money. You at least have to work a little for it.

Vicfirth01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Might just be me, but I'm vocal. If I was there that long and a couple that just came in got service, i would have stepped in and said "excuse me I've been here a while waiting, can I see ---- please." Of course the couple might look at you funny for a minute, but that feeling of gosh I feel like a jerk goes away when you walk away with you wanted!!

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Weird. Come to Seymour. The local shops here will take your money. While you are at it stop and have lunch. I promise you I have never seen a no guns allowed sign in Jackson County.

This ^ while youre at it stop by bite the bullet in seymour if you want the best customer service around, those guys are the best.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It's alright OP I understand where you're coming from, all those that are trying to make it your fault for lousy customer service are just LGS fanboys who are nervous you're going to out their favorite store and are in pre-bash mode. It won't get really bad unless you name the store and lord help you if you say it was Bradis.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I dont think there supposed to play psychic however not pay attention to who is in youre store or asking questions leaves an easy opening for criminals to steal items, and yes there are people stupid enough to do this.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    It's alright OP I understand where you're coming from, all those that are trying to make it your fault for lousy customer service are just LGS fanboys who are nervous you're going to out their favorite store and are in pre-bash mode. It won't get really bad unless you name the store and lord help you if you say it was Bradis.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    No offense to the OP, but I'm sure the employee's are getting a little tired of the shear volume of browser's they have now. If I had to guess it would be less than 10% actually buying anything, so if you want something you have to speak up.
    For the record I'm not an employee or a fanboy of any LGS around here. I have witnessed an influx of no-good mouth-breather's every time I stop in to buy something, regardless of the store and I can see how frustrated the employee's get. I feel bad for them, even the ones I personally don't care for!
    Sorry for ranting, just got done with 12hr shift!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It's not an employee's job to play "psychic". Everyone *****es about being hassled when shopping around(car salesman), but then *****es about them being respectful and NOT hassling us?! Oh the irony! :facepalm:

I agree with the OP and disagree with this ^^^.

If I am standing in front of the gun case for a period of time and am making eye contact with every employee that comes by it doesn't take a genius to figure out that maybe I need some assistance. I shouldn't have to yell across the store to get someone's attention. You open a retail shop and can't figure out why all of these people keep stopping by? Really? As for the hassling part just say hi when the customer walks in. "If I can be of help please don't hesitate to ask". How hard is that?

Combsie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Spencerville,IN
    I agree with the OP and disagree with this ^^^.

If I am standing in front of the gun case for a period of time and am making eye contact with every employee that comes by it doesn't take a genius to figure out that maybe I need some assistance. I shouldn't have to yell across the store to get someone's attention. You open a retail shop and can't figure out why all of these people keep stopping by? Really? As for the hassling part just say hi when the customer walks in. "If I can be of help please don't hesitate to ask". How hard is that?

I disagree with this^^^^ and agree with being a grown man and asking a simple question like "Excuse me, can I take a look at this?", instead of look at counter....look at employee....look at counter....look at employee...etc etc.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    You open a retail shop and can't figure out why all of these people keep stopping by? Really? As for the hassling part just say hi when the customer walks in. "If I can be of help please don't hesitate to ask". How hard is that?

You go to a retail store and can't figure out how to ask to see something? Really? Does the sales person really have to TELL you that if you need his help, just ask? Can't you ASSUME that since he's running a store and standing behind the counter that it might be ok to ask him to see something? How hard is that?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I guess that's the problem with retail in general and gun stores in particular. Too many gun shop employees feel that the onus is on the customer. That customer doesn't care if he/she buys it there or elsewhere. It is the gun shop employees job to wait on customers whether they think the customer is a serious buyer or not. And what is it these days that everything is about some myopic view of "manning up". I can understand why some LGS' are having trouble in the digital age. Buying online means you don't have to deal with self-important gun geniuses working behind the counter who will decide who they will and will not wait on. I have no trouble speaking up. But not everyone is like me. They shouldn't have to be.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Or, one could contend that it's a problem with a generation that believes the onus for EVERYTHING is on everyone else. How about a little personal responsibility, controlling the things WE can control, taking charge of our own lives instead of expecting others to take care of us and getting butt-hurt when they don't?

I don't work in retail, and I'd SUCK at it, but if I were working in a gun shop, my gut instinct would be that if someone came in and looked like a "gun guy/girl", someone who seemed to know what he/she was looking for, I'd tend to leave him/her alone. If someone came in and looked like he/she didn't really know much and might need help, I'd be more likely to approach and offer my help. Me, I hate it when I walk in a store and get assaulted immediately, or repeatedly. I've yet to run back home and make a thread about it, because I assume it's MY issue, not theirs. But that's just me -- I came from an era where personal responsibility seemed to be more acceptable.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Your straw man argument notwithstanding, this has nothing to do with personal responsibility and everything to do with crappy customer service.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    As a shop manager, I find this kind of incident/thread extremely frustrating. Someone is more than willing to speak up on the internet after the fact, but not while they are in the shop when something can actually be done to remedy the situation.

We try our best to make sure all our customers have a positive shopping experience and get the help they need, but we are human and sometimes we stumble and neglect our duties, for whatever reason. When that happens, how are we supposed to fix the problem, if we don't even know there IS a problem?

Most of the time when I have contacted complaining customers after the fact, they can't tell me who the salesperson in question was, so the teaching value is greatly diminished; all I can do is issue a general reminder about what we need to do to provide good customer service, which in a group setting can often go unheeded, as everyone is sitting there thinking some other employee must the problem. Further, it does nothing to solve the issue of a customer not getting the gun he wanted, or the shop's reputation taking a hit.

So please, if you're in my shop and you aren't getting the standard of service you require, help us both out and SPEAK UP - say something to the salesperson in front of you, to another salesperson, or to a member of management, and we will get the situation resolved right then.

Thanks.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    A person should not have to beg (or even ask) for assistance in a retail establishment. But then, we all know gun shop employees (and even owners) are seldom retail geniuses.

Top Bottom