• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Gee! Only the Indianapolis is represented as having problems. What about the rest of the damn state? Don't we count?

Pah!

PS: Not b* tching at you BehindBlueI's, just the map.

Uhm... it's an INDIANAPOLIS power and light service map :)

No, I don't have a motorcycle. I thought about using the snowblower tank but I was out of time for rigging up stuff.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I heard a transformer blow and we lost power. Why don't they put roofs over those things? Its not like this doesn't happen pretty regularly.

Luckily I've got the generator going so we still have Internet and a few lights, but I don't have enough electric heaters to keep the whole house warm. We can keep the basement nice and toasty, though. I may have to take the sleigh to the gas station depending on how long before they fix it, might as well get some bacon while I'm out.

WE have lost power 2 times today. Out right now. On the Battery's right now. Genny's running the other house.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Reports indicate that Middletown has lost power tonight. Officials are opening the Government Building/Town hall at 8p to serve as a warming station for residents
    From NASHFM on Facebook. See FB is of value.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I thought we were going to lose power about 2 hours ago on the north edge of Johnson County. There was a bright flash from a couple of houses down and then things went dark for a couple of seconds. I was sure the power was on it's way out but it has not gone down since then. Fingers crossed we make it through the night with power.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Logs in the stove....gas log running in the family room. Furnace has not cycled today with the wood stove cranking. Low light and TV/internet on the battery's.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    4 deep cycle marine rated gell cells. 2 inverters, 1 for clean power and 1 for lights etc.
    I never thought about setting something like this up... Can you link to some resources on this or post up some details?

I have a couple of small UPS systems for my computers/internet/etc but they don't last too long.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I never thought about setting something like this up... Can you link to some resources on this or post up some details?

I have a couple of small UPS systems for my computers/internet/etc but they don't last too long.

I built my own system. Nothing fancy. 4 deep cycle gel cells wired up in parallel with 2 inverters. 1 is clean power hi-end piece for electronic and the other is mid range 30 AMP unit for lights and furnace blower. It will run a refrigerator if need be but not for a long time. Gennys for that. The smart charger has 4 outputs on it and does a great job keeping the batts. topped off. We cycle them all the time.
    I get my inverters from older motor homes about to be scrapped. Some of these are really nice units.

We can run the house all night if we are on top of what we are using. No lights on you do not need. I have ran the refrigerator on this before as well.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Very interesting... I'd love to get a generator [that was the plan all-along] but I doubt I could get one in this neighborhood [not out in the country yet like I'd like, but in the next decade that's the goal].

I could always get one of the cheap ones at the store that runs at 3600 RPM and is only good for a few hundred hours - I suppose it would depend on how often it was needed. Would prefer a propane/natural gas/diesel generator with an ATS.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Very interesting... I'd love to get a generator [that was the plan all-along] but I doubt I could get one in this neighborhood [not out in the country yet like I'd like, but in the next decade that's the goal].

I could always get one of the cheap ones at the store that runs at 3600 RPM and is only good for a few hundred hours - I suppose it would depend on how often it was needed. Would prefer a propane/natural gas/diesel generator with an ATS.

The power from a cheapy is not very clean. Your UPS systems might clean it up if you run all the power through them for your computers.
    Get a good unit with clean power. It will not let you down.
    Screw the neighbors. I bet you have a lot of friends if you have a genny in a blackout. We ran a cord over the fence to the family behind us. They have young kids. I have a soft heart.
    Mine are very muffled and we have insulated covers for them of they have to run a long time. You can barely hear them from the fence.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    It's not so much the neighbors as much as the association. I didn't see anything in the rules that says we can't but we have to get 'approval' which they could obviously refuse to provide.

We were trying hard to find somewhere without some sort of association but the only houses without associations needed WAY too much work [I'm not that handy - not yet anyways].

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think I need to have an electrician install one of those transfer switches so I can run my furnace and well pump off the generator next time.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    It's not so much the neighbors as much as the association. I didn't see anything in the rules that says we can't but we have to get 'approval' which they could obviously refuse to provide.

We were trying hard to find somewhere without some sort of association but the only houses without associations needed WAY too much work [I'm not that handy - not yet anyways].

I feel for you guys that have to deal with this sh*t. You buy yourself a nice house and then have to go by chickensh*t rules to comply. It's not like you're getting free housing and are a burden to someone!

I will NEVER buy a home with an HOA... EVER!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Amazingly I still have power on my crap REMC. Going to go out and fire up the diesel generator in a bit just in case to make sure I can get it to start.

Top Bottom