• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You and I understand that, however the general public will go out and buy a dryer recept, thinking it is a 50 amp device. I would have stated you used a 50 amp range recept, as that is really the device you're using. ;)

Yup.....I always use the best plug/receptacle I can get.

I have done this for numerous people. If the receptacle is in the garage it can double as a welder drop etc. as it is always nice to have a 220 drop if you are a handy man.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I've heard of people pulling the main breaker to keep from back feeding.

I have a natural gas powered genny out back. It's on an auto transfer switch, I don't have to do jack. It is programmed to run one hour once a week for maintenance.

My lights flickered a bit last night, I kinda hoped to lose power last night just because.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Yeah, forgot about that. Hmmmmm....Maybe I should spend more time in the 'survival' forum. I thought that was just about zombies......Do those Harbor Freight generators suck?
    I bought a small one five or six years ago. It did suck. It couldn't hold a single lamp at a steady voltage, we had to put a bigger load on it like a space heater, and then we were on the limits of capacity and kept tripping the breaker on it. (It was a little one, like 600 watts or so.)

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Whats a power outage? :dunno:

Man I didnt think indy got hit that hard as the outage map shows with outages. I wonder how long before most of the town is back up?

Im down in southern Indiana but I know my place up north has power from my server and it wont fail :D unless we run out of CNG on all our multiple backup power stations(too big to really be considered a generator as it runs a small city) but first our private substation would have to failed before the generators would kick on.

During the last ice storm the lights barely flickered when everyone had lost power but I think that is becuase its required so we can get into our place first of all.

I guess giving up guns at home has some advantages to offset the massive personal rights violation(security system that rivals a datacenter's, 1gbps internet connection, a building that is pretty much a bunker, fire suppression system, IMPD station right across the street , no utility bills(I have a 20amp breaker in my room and I use ALLLLL of it ALL the time).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Anyone a professional electrician who can give mea quote for a transfer switch install? Something that will run the furnace and well pump. Main box is in basement. Does it require a certain type of cord or Just a heavy extention cord?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought a small one five or six years ago. It did suck. It couldn't hold a single lamp at a steady voltage, we had to put a bigger load on it like a space heater, and then we were on the limits of capacity and kept tripping the breaker on it. (It was a little one, like 600 watts or so.)

Our smallest is a 1250 steady output inverted 2 cycle. I will deliver a steady 1250 watts of clean power. Next up is a 5 HP 3500 delivered unit with clean power. The 8 HP unit has a clean circuit and a delivered circuit. Clean power is 120 V only. The other circuits will push 220.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Anyone a professional electrician who can give mea quote for a transfer switch install? Something that will run the furnace and well pump. Main box is in basement. Does it require a certain type of cord or Just a heavy extention cord?

Cord depends on currant draw. Size it to the load. Switch gear is easily purchased and I believe menards has kits in stock or they used to.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Most modern electronics already use an internal AC->DC converter. Any "dirty" power would be corrected at that point. Clean power would only be a requirement of electric motors or other things that relied on the raw 60hz sine wave for proper operation. I believe that would include your blower motor for a furnace. We have NG Heat, Water, and Fireplace. The FP has a small blower fan but should be able to produce enough heat even without it to keep the house tolerable. My next plan was to start filling empty bottles with hot water to keep my fish tanks at a tolerable temp. Fortunately all our lines are buried and we must not be far from the substation as it's not often we loose power.

Cord depends on currant draw. Size it to the load. Switch gear is easily purchased and I believe menards has kits in stock or they used to.
    For emergency use and only powering a few essential circuits, wouldn't turning off the main breaker and backfeeding power from the generator into the panel be sufficient? I would also turn off any circuits that weren't essential so someone didn't accidentally overload the generator.

Yeah, forgot about that. Hmmmmm....Maybe I should spend more time in the 'survival' forum. I thought that was just about zombies......Do those Harbor Freight generators suck?
    Have you never bought a power tool from HF? I would not trust a HF piece of equipment for anything critical. :)

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I lost track of how many times our power went out since yesterday afternoon. It was usually only for a few seconds to a few minutes but this morning it was out for about an hour and a half. When it came back on it almost immediately started flickering again every few minutes. Then around noon it went out for about 2 hours. Since its come back on its been stable though. Maybe we're out of the woods.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Again...screw the association. You are not painting your house purple you are putting in a life saving appliance. If it is properly muffled no one will know. Do not put the unit out side permanently. Get a nice Honda with quite run and clean power. It will be portable and no one on the snob butt association panel will know nor need too. Screw-em.

If you get a nice genny make up a dedicated drop cord for it. Hell, I will make it for you.
    I'm OK with portable so long as it will last with proper maintenance. As far as a dedicated line - I'd probably have an electrician come in and put in a transfer switch or something where I can switch off of city power and then switch over to generator provided power. I'd have to kill a lot of circuits to non-essentials but it would be nice to be able to do it in an emergency.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Most modern electronics already use an internal AC->DC converter. Any "dirty" power would be corrected at that point. Clean power would only be a requirement of electric motors or other things that relied on the raw 60hz sine wave for proper operation. I believe that would include your blower motor for a furnace. We have NG Heat, Water, and Fireplace. The FP has a small blower fan but should be able to produce enough heat even without it to keep the house tolerable. My next plan was to start filling empty bottles with hot water to keep my fish tanks at a tolerable temp. Fortunately all our lines are buried and we must not be far from the substation as it's not often we loose power.

For emergency use and only powering a few essential circuits, wouldn't turning off the main breaker and backfeeding power from the generator into the panel be sufficient? I would also turn off any circuits that weren't essential so someone didn't accidentally overload the generator.

Have you never bought a power tool from HF? I would not trust a HF piece of equipment for anything critical. :)

Yes, main breaker off is the way we do it. The 220 drop is on a single phase breaker so it feeds both sides of the box. Open all breakers not needed and power only essential circuits and good to go. Many rely on the switch gear as it is safe and fool proof.
    We also hqve a way to jack directly into the furnaces at both houses for emergency's with the small genny or batt. back up.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.

I am, but we don't do residential. PM me and I can give you a name if you want.

shift74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    Indianapolis/Wanamaker
    I lost track of how many times our power went out since yesterday afternoon. It was usually only for a few seconds to a few minutes but this morning it was out for about an hour and a half. When it came back on it almost immediately started flickering again every few minutes. Then around noon it went out for about 2 hours. Since its come back on its been stable though. Maybe we're out of the woods.

I am also in Wanamaker and experienced the same thing. I have a Generac 8kw and fired up and worked as would hope. Was a little nervous with the temperatures if it would start.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

This was 5-7 years ago. I had a manual transfer switch put in to run a couple circuits, and my heater blower, and my grinder pump. They also installed a box on the outside of the house, containing the plug socket. And included the cable for the genny hook up.
    The job was ground floor to ground floor.
    Cost $600.

And they were on another job at my house. So that may have decreased the cost.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Definitely going to look into having a transfer switch installed and outlet for the generator outside.

We've been up without power for about 14 hours now - got lucky and Tractor Supply in Franklin had a 5.5KW Generac portable generator - only one they had and *nowhere* else I called had one so I took it. Was hoping to get a 6.5 or a 7.5KW but I'll take what I can get when I've got no power.

Running my laptop, cable modem, router, a 1500W heater, a CFL lamp, and bed-sized heating blanket.

Moved the mattress into the living room with the fireplace on the opposite wall. The fireplace has no vent so it's sucking a lot of air up the flue but I can't exactly 'add' a vent to it right now [plan on having somebody look into either adding a vent or re-doing the whole fireplace in the spring].

Enough fuel on-hand to run the generator for about 2.5 days but the gas station is just down the road.

Update:
    Good thing I thought to check the sump pit - it was getting a bit high mostly from snow melting away around the foundation from the basement heat.

The sump line was frozen solid because there was a section where it increased in elevation and then decreased again - i.e. the water sat in the line and froze.

Had to cut it off at the house with the saw to get it to be able to pump and then stuck an extension on it temporarily until I can get down to the store tomorrow and get some new/fresh PVC to do it right. I'll probably use a temporary union joint to lay the line now and then when it's warm and I can dig a trench and actually run it down to the end of the hill with a good slope so it will never freeze up [within theory]. Going to still get one of those 'ice guard' contraptions to put up near the house just in case the line DOES freeze so at least I don't end up with standing water in the pit that the sump can't pump and/or burning out the sump with it running continually against a frozen line.

Also plan on installing a battery back-up sump as well just hadn't gotten around to it yet!

The depressing part is if you go one street in any direction they all have power - but all of the lines here are underground so I've no idea where the issue would have originated that would cause only our street to be without power.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Found out that I can get gas run to the house - Vectren though :(.

I figure I'll go ahead and have the lines run for the water heater/furnace, stove [all electric now, but will have the option to switch to gas when they get replaced] and will probably go ahead and get a whole-house standby genset installed.

Probably will see about converting the wood fireplace over to gas but I'm on the fence about that - if gas were to be out as well as power we can at least burn wood now and run the portable generator to get us by but if we have a gas stove and gas is out - I'm not sure what we'd do for heat...

Top Bottom