• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You are the one that wants to control his neighbor (who are running a generator to prevent freezing to death), to wit:

I cannot stand to tell my fellow man what to you as you do. I want freedom too much.
    Kirk, you are so full of ****. You routinely post about your right to control your neighbors.

Where I live, I don't ask. We live and let live and don't use the code book as weapons against our neighbors.

7b4255e5.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Where I live, I don't ask. We live and let live and don't use the code book as weapons against our neighbors

You just said you wanted to control the noise level of generators. Generators being used to prevent freezing to death.

I am not the one full of it obviously.

I am full of love for freedom.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You just said you wanted to control the noise level of generators. Generators being used to prevent freezing to death.

I am not the one full of it obviously.

I am full of love for freedom.

My post was to point out the hypocrisy of the HOA types. If one neighbor has the right to dictate another's grass length, then conversely that neighbor has the right to dictate noise levels of the other neighbor.

Of course you understand that and are being purposefully obtuse. I expect that out of a lawyer.

Don't feel a bit sorry for those forbidden to run generators. It's the society they created.

My generator is turning out a cool 95 db.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How does one tell if the unit provides 'clean' power CM? Does this mean consistent voltage or something?

Yes, it means consistent, clean power. The sine wave on a cheap genny is all over the place and bad for electronics.

I think the good units have a proper inverter in them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Can I get some additional details on this dedicated drop cord? We rarely loose power, but after the lights flickered a bit last night and my furnace wiring modification, a generator is the next thing on the list.

Build a proper cord that will handle the amp load you will be running. Have proper plugs on both ends. Make the cord long enough to put the genny in a secure area outside. We use dryer receptacles rated at 50 amps if the genny is big enough and wire them into the panel with the right switch gear to isolate your home from the power grid so no power is back-fed into the grid.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    it seems nutz to lose a gas furnace if the power goes down. Short of buying a generator, would a battery be enough to power a glow plug to ignite the gas? What about a well pump? At least for a day or two? I'm a babe-in-the-woods when it comes to such stuff. OK, sorry about the 'babe' image.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    it seems nutz to lose a gas furnace if the power goes down. Short of buying a generator, would a battery be enough to power a glow plug to ignite the gas? What about a well pump? At least for a day or two? I'm a babe-in-the-woods when it comes to such stuff. OK, sorry about the 'babe' image.

My battery/inverter back up will run my furnace for a period. The well pump is most likely 220V so no, a genny is required for this.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana

The secondary issue would be running the blower to push the heat out thats where the big part of the electricity comes in i believe . also alot of well pumps are 220 but the last place i lived i went in the crawl space and it was 110 simply pluged into an outlet so i just unplugged it and plugged into my generator.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The ignition systems don't draw much, it's the main blower motor!

Modern furnace motors are not drawing a lot of current except on start up. The 30 amp inverter we have on the battery bank for non-electronic use runs the furnace very well. It will cycle it all night and have reserve in the morning. It is tied to 4 deep cycle gel cells.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    The secondary issue would be running the blower to push the heat out thats where the big part of the electricity comes in i believe . also alot of well pumps are 220 but the last place i lived i went in the crawl space and it was 110 simply pluged into an outlet so i just unplugged it and plugged into my generator.

Yeah, forgot about that. Hmmmmm....Maybe I should spend more time in the 'survival' forum. I thought that was just about zombies......Do those Harbor Freight generators suck?

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I have 50 amp receptacles on my driers. Same as the range plugs.

You and I understand that, however the general public will go out and buy a dryer recept, thinking it is a 50 amp device. I would have stated you used a 50 amp range recept, as that is really the device you're using. ;)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    In theory, I suppose you could use a similar hookup (as the furnace mod mentioned earlier) for a well pump? Using say, locking plugs/receptacles and extension cord rated properly. But IANAE

Top Bottom