• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I read that a federal judge gave the go ahead to ban bump stocks on Monday. I still don't see how they can just outlaw them without compensating the people
    that have legally owned them prior to the ban.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I read that a federal judge gave the go ahead to ban bump stocks on Monday. I still don't see how they can just outlaw them without compensating the people
    that have legally owned them prior to the ban.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/26/politics/washington-judge-upholds-bump-stocks/index.html

(Apologies for the CNN link.)

Holy carpe diem. Injunction appears to have been denied. I *think* the court of appeals will enjoin enforcement... but heck... that's not a sure thing now.

Trump's administration didn't have to fight the injunction, but they won that round.

I guess he really isn't tired of winning.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Translation for non-legal people?

That mean he's going out of his way to make sure they get banned?

Yeah, sorry. Probably deserved a little more explanificationing.

Trump's DOJ passed the rule banning the bumpstocks. Gun owners sued. That puts the DOJ on defense.

Part of the lawsuit asked the court to forbid the government from enforcing the rule, temporarily. That's an injunction (or, they asked the court to "enjoin" enforcement). (Not, "enjoy enforcement" - that usually costs extra.)*

Because the gun owners asked for an injunction, the DOJ had a choice whether to fight it or not. They could have conceded that the injunction was appropriate until the courts decided the ultimate issue. Instead, they fought against the injunction. Or, they fought for the rule to be immediately enforceable. Same thing.

Now, it would be pretty rare (in my limited experience with this kind of thing) for a defendant to agree to an injunction. The natural reaction of both attorneys and litigants is to fight every battle. But, this isn't a battle that absolutely needed to be fought. Trump's DOJ chose to fight to make the rule immediately enforceable.

And they won this round.

A court of appeals will now be presented with the same issue, and likely SCOTUS eventually.

* Just ask Robert Kraft.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Translation for non-legal people?

That mean he's going out of his way to make sure they get banned?

He ordered the ban in the first place. NRA supporrs it. GOA challenged it. Trying to get a judge to put it on hold until the challenge can be heard. Judge says it will go into effect as scheduled. Challenge will be heard later.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    These items were purchased legally and the government is not offering restitution for the financial loss incurred by those who wish not to become felons overnight. This is highly unjust and needs judicial intervention. Please make your voice heard or they could be coming for your AR-15 next.

There is no 'could' about it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I am probably as alarmed by the bumpstock ban as any other gun owner, but there's no way AR-15s will be "next."

Maybe "eventually" but the NFA stuff would be "next." They already know who has them. The weapons are already heavily regulated. It is a much easier case that they are "more dangerous than necessary." In terms of incrementalism, that's a no-brainer.

ETA:
    Forgot about other accessories. Those could be next. Things like hi cap magazines, pistol grips, flash hiders. That path has already been charted, so that could be "next" before actual firearms.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    FPC ‘s statement:

https://www.firearmspolicy.org/joint_statement_on_federal_court_ruling_bumpstocks

INGO lawyers, what about GOA’s scheduled hearing on March 6?

The actual opinion is interesting, but I've only skimmed it for some high points. Not sure what the March 6 hearing is, but probably some administrative pre-trial conference to map out next steps. That might get vacated depending on the appeal status.

The judge addresses the takings issue by saying that there will be an opportunity at some later date for the plaintiffs to seek money from the government for their bumpstocks.

*coff*

(@Fargo) ;)
    Most of the plaintiffs’ administrative law challenges are foreclosed by theChevron doctrine, which permits an agency to reasonably define undefined statutory terms.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

The actual opinion is interesting, but I've only skimmed it for some high points. Not sure what the March 6 hearing is, but probably some administrative pre-trial conference to map out next steps. That might get vacated depending on the appeal status.

The judge addresses the takings issue by saying that there will be an opportunity at some later date for the plaintiffs to seek money from the government for their bumpstocks.

*coff*

(@Fargo) ;)

Should be fun when it gets to the SCOTUS.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Roberts is the justice for the DC circuit, right?

I gotta believe that he'd enjoin enforcement. In the travel ban, I believe he let the lower court injunction stand, but that's the reverse of this. If he gives deference to the lower court (whole different issue), then he might let the rule take effect.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

*coff*

(@Fargo) ;)

As far as administrative law challenges, she would be correct. Criminal law is a different story, which is strangely unaddressed in my skim of the opinion.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As far as administrative law challenges, she would be correct. Criminal law is a different story, which is strangely unaddressed in my skim of the opinion.

I haven't gone back to resurrect the exact conversation we had about it. :) That is, the fact that the DOJ has now actually gone through the rulemaking process, instead of just changing the interpretation by letter notice, probably takes it out of the context of our previous discussion.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    INGO lawyers, in plain English:

Is GOA’s scheduled hearing in the 6th Circuit moot now? Could the March 26 date still be extended? Or is this “game over”? Because once all the bump stocks are destroyed or turned in it seems the chances of getting the ban lifted decrease dramatically. I’m not sure manufacturers would take the risk of starting production again. And I know this ban is popular with the general public (or at least they are ambivalent about it) which doesn’t help matters.

Top Bottom