Looking to purchase a 7 MM rifle for long distance target shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i do reload for 7mm but i dont do it for target. im shooting a hornady 110 or 120 vmax and like the results. its my current coyote gun, but as others said factory ammo was awful. im shooting a 700 adl and the best factory groups i could get were roughly 1.5 inches. im getting .5-.75 with reloads (all groups are ctc)

Last edited:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I have personally witnessed great accuracy achieved by a Savage 7mm Magnum. I was witness to several 1-2" groups (easily) at 500 yards. The rifle had 24x optics and utilized a mil-dot reticle and the shooter used custom hand loads. I believe all of these factors, along with some talent behind the trigger, led to the success of those shots.

not sure on the exact model of the savage, but i can def find out.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Accuracy is a function of the rifle and the shooter, not the popularity of the caliber. (even though 7mm mag is consistently one of the top 5 cartridges as far as sales.)

7mm offers bullets with better ballistic coefficients, and the 7mm mag offers an additional 400-600 ft-lbs. More energy + holding onto it better = win.

If you do some research, you will see that the US Secret service use the 7mm magnum for their presision rifles, and found Hunting Shack Ammunition satisfactory. you will also see that the 7mm pops up in the long range bench rest circles with some regularity.

A simple look on Midways website will reveal 5 pages of ammunition options for the 7mm magnum; some of which are as low as $18.99 for 20 rounds. In addition, its easily reloaded for with common components.

7mm magnum is a perfectly viable option for long range shooting, in addition to being the most "bang for your buck" in terms of energy per dollar.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    i would steer clear of the 6.5x284 for target shooting due to the horible barrel life. as far as better calibers the 260 would be top of my list. it has good barrel life and you can still take advantage of the great bc 6.5 bullets.
    This statement is a little misleading.

Barrel life and the distances that you are shooting are very relative. At 100 yards you may get thousands of rounds from the barrel, at a 1000 yards you can expect 1200 - 1500 from a 6.5/284.
    Of the long distance sling shooters that I know of, this is the most popular round, followed by the 300 Winmag in a distant second.

The 260 is a good round, but it won't run with a 6.5/284. Requiring more elevation and wind correction at the longer distances.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the 260 will not run near as fast as the 6.5x284. for me if the gun is not going to be used in competition and is just there to kill paper the 260 is a better option due to the longer barrel life than the 6.5x284. if you were talking about competition gun the 6.5x284 wins hands down in my book.

that said litlratt has forgot more about long range shooting than i know as im just getting started so i would defintally pay alot more attention to his advise than mine.

caguasjade19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Central indiana
    I am grateful for your message and advise regarding the 6.5/284. Litlratt, what rifle will you use with this round?I will look into your suggestions. Have a great 2010.

caguasjade19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Central indiana
    42769vette:

I am grateful for this message and the detiails of 6.5284. Do you own a 69 vette? I owned a SS Chevelle 71 (454). I will look into your suggestions. Have a great 2010.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I am grateful for your message and advise regarding the 6.5/284. Litlratt, what rifle will you use with this round?I will look into your suggestions. Have a great 2010.
    Remington 700 action in there.

picture.php

caguasjade19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Central indiana
    Wow Litlratt:

This is not the typical weapon I expected to see, This looks like a fun technology with accuracy. For me now I will probably will start with a good rifle out of the box. What do you think?

caguasjade19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Central indiana
    Wow Litlratt:

This is not the typical weapon I expected to see, This looks like a fun technology with accuracy. For me now I will probably will start with a good rifle out of the box. What do you think?

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Wow Litlratt:

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to do informal target shooting, I'm sure you'd be happy with an oob rifle.
    If you think you may want to compete later on, a different approach could save you money in the long run.

Top Bottom