Looking to purchase a 7 MM rifle for long distance target shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • caguasjade19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Central indiana
    LITLRATT:

My goal is to be an informal target shooter. My free time gets to be limited between work and other hobbies, like managing teenagers. LITLRATT, what rifle comes to mine for informal shooting?

Thanks for the message and happy Sunday,

caguasjade19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Central indiana
    Hi 42769VETTE:
    Yeap, they re special cars, I grew up watching those cars and many others, my Dad used to owned a Drag Race Track. So, many years ago, shortly after I joined the ARMY I bought 1971 SS Chevelle. I still have it.
    Have a great week,

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    LITLRATT:

My goal is to be an informal target shooter. My free time gets to be limited between work and other hobbies, like managing teenagers. LITLRATT, what rifle comes to mine for informal shooting?

Thanks for the message and happy Sunday,
    Your initial choices with a Tasco SS scope would serve you well and be within your budget.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Just be wary of three shot groups. They hold little statistical value. Almost anyone and any rifle can shoot a 1/2 moa 3 shot group once in a while. 5 shot groups are more telling. Talking about group size in general is better done in average group size, not taking an occasional group size.

I have a stock Stevens Mod 200 rifle in .22-250 with a Bushnell Legend 3-9x50 scope on it on cheap rings and I can reliably do .6moa groups at 100 yards with the gun in a rest and using my handloads. When I take that gun and shoot prone the best I can do reliably is about 1.1moa with 5 shot groups. That gun and scope combination would run about $600 give or take. Stevens are made by Savage and are underrated and one of the better values for the money, IMO. On the other hand, you can also find a used Rem 700 in good condition for $350-400, and once you'd gotten good enough to start wanting better gun the Rem 700 is an excellent platform to start building custom from.

I'm going to agree with some of the other folks and recommend staying with .308 for 500-800 yards. Good used and new guns are more readily available and the barrels will maintain accuracy longer. There's a wider range of factory quality ammo, and there's lots of proven data for handloads. Now if you were going to be hunting at those ranges then the 7mm makes more sense depending on game.

As far as scopes go, I will happily recommend the SuperSniper. It's one of the least widely known best scopes for the money. I would go with the 10 or 16x though, rather than the 20. I have the 20 and the glass just isn't quite up to the task, though it's usable. Just doesn't handle lower light levels very well, and I have excellent eyesight.

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    New or Used Stevens Rifle - 200 - 320
    Aftermarket Stock - 100 - 250
    Aftermarket trigger - 80 - 150
    Heavy barrel (optional) 80 - 300
    Mueller Scope - 150
    or
    Used Leupold, made right by warranty - 270

Total 58 - 1390

Depends on how hard you want to look for bargains.

Top Bottom