• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have her carrying it around today. Going to go out shopping. She is going to CC and I of course am going OC my new Springfield. I have to show off this nice new 1911.

ag563

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Delphi, Indiana
    Springfield is a good 1911, I bought a used one a few months back, for $450 at a gun show, it is a GI, 1990 model (I emailed springfield, to get the date).
    Then a few weeks later I bought a new Rock Island 1911 FS-Tactical model for $450, Good price for a new 1911, with several extra's. I also have the LC9,
    great CC gun. I want the SR1911, just have not found one at the right price, yet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I hate have to use the allen wrench to break down my gun.

There are many differing opinions on the full length rod. Some ditch them and some favor them. I use them. I have them in all of my 1911's.
    I sent one of my Loadeds to the Springfield custom shop a few years back before I was competent to do my own work. In a discussion with the gentlemen that set me up at Springfield he said they use them for good reason. His reasoning was in the stability of the gun during use. It made sense to me. When my gun returned from the custom shop it had a nicely fit 2 piece full length rod in it. I left it as they built it.
    As SERparacord stated, if you take it out you may not be able to tell a difference. A new shooter may not and even some long time shooters as well. I will and can not dispute his statement.
    Myself, I have made the change from the plug to a one piece full length in both of the SA RO's we own. It did seem to sweeten the experience with one of them. Could be my imagination but then again, maybe not.
    If Springer put it in there I would leave it. If you just want to simplify the tear down process that is your call.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    There are many differing opinions on the full length rod. Some ditch them and some favor them. I use them. I have them in all of my 1911's.
    I sent one of my Loadeds to the Springfield custom shop a few years back before I was competent to do my own work. In a discussion with the gentlemen that set me up at Springfield he said they use them for good reason. His reasoning was in the stability of the gun during use. It made sense to me. When my gun returned from the custom shop it had a nicely fit 2 piece full length rod in it. I left it as they built it.
    As SERparacord stated, if you take it out you may not be able to tell a difference. A new shooter may not and even some long time shooters as well. I will and can not dispute his statement.
    Myself, I have made the change from the plug to a one piece full length in both of the SA RO's we own. It did seem to sweeten the experience with one of them. Could be my imagination but then again, maybe not.
    If Springer put it in there I would leave it. If you just want to simplify the tear down process that is your call.

Yeah but you can get plugs with a smiley face on them. :cool:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    EGW sells all sorts of plugs. A little high though. :)

I will have a look.

I have an old an severely abused 70 series Colt that I am looking at doing some work on. Winter project if I ever get the time. I had hopes that once retired I would have more time for such things but has not worked out that way.........:dunno:

Top Bottom