• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    I like the Kimber 5" Custom II 1911 for less than $800. I hear about the Kimber QC issues with the MIM parts and Plastic mainspring housing. I did bust a housing (cracked actually) but I've put 6K plus on a Custom II because it's the nicest shooting and most accurate of all my 1911s. I did a complete tear down and close examination on it in July and it's not showing any wear what so ever. I was leery as well about the MIM but so far so good.

I have a TLE/RL II and a Custom Shop Eclipse that are both great guns, but they were made 8+years ago. My Pro Carry 9mm that was made in the last 2 has been horrible. A lot of the new Kimbers I've looked at and got my hands on just seem to be of a lower quality than what they put out back in the early 2000s. If you can get one from back then, I'd say go for it. My TLE/RL was my first 1911 and I can't even tell you how many thousands of rounds it has through it. It's going through a complete rebuild right now, not because there was anything wrong, just because I felt like she deserved it.

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well I bought a Springfield Loaded today at Beechgrove Fire Arms. While I was there I also picked up a Sig P238 for me and a new Ruger LC9 with laser for my wife. I ended up trading my PX4 Storm compact towards them. I was out of luck, NICS was down. It came back up before I left but I was delayed. So I have to wait to pick all of them up. This wait is going to suck.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Save yourself the time and money and get the Wilson combat next. After about 15 or so 1911s I now know I should have just bought the Wilson and been done with it.

Live n learn.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Springer RO or loaded depending on what you want out of it. For carry/SD/HD, get the loaded. For range, get the RO. Seems like the best bang for your buck in the sub $1k range.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Save yourself the time and money and get the Wilson combat next. After about 15 or so 1911s I now know I should have just bought the Wilson and been done with it.

Live n learn.

No knock on Wilson as they have a seriously good product. I have shot several and they are everything they are supposed to be. They offer some of the best parts and pieces available.
    That said, for the money...I will own a few Springfields.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    Well I bought a Springfield Loaded today at Beechgrove Fire Arms. While I was there I also picked up a Sig P238 for me and a new Ruger LC9 with laser for my wife. I ended up trading my PX4 Storm compact towards them. I was out of luck, NICS was down. It came back up before I left but I was delayed. So I have to wait to pick all of them up. This wait is going to suck.

Congrats! You'll be very happy with the Springer. Also the P238 is a great gun, I've had two (one is at my parents, traded the other) and wish I still had one. The fiance currently has a P938 and we both like it a lot.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Springfield loaded is an excellent platform to start out with. You will love it.

No knock on Wilson as they have a seriously good product. I have shot several and they are everything they are supposed to be. They offer some of the best parts and pieces available.
    That said, for the money...I will own a few Springfields.

I just wanted to quote the church and the mouse. :ingo:

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    For that price, and for your first, go with a good name that will hold value. I had several 1911's before and never learned to like em. Then I bought a Colt. Couldn't love that gun more.

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well after hitting the range with my Springfield, I understand peoples love for the 1911. I have never shot more accurately with a gun right out of the box. Man it shoots like a dream and so easy to hit follow up shots. I have a new favorite gun.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well after hitting the range with my Springfield, I understand peoples love for the 1911. I have never shot more accurately with a gun right out of the box. Man it shoots like a dream and so easy to hit follow up shots. I have a new favorite gun.

Know you understand how easy it is to fall in love with that platform.

Another 1911 convert....................:rockwoot:

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Sweet Springer! You will fall in love with the 1911. Only gun I have two of (Ruger SR1911 and RIA Tactical) and I want more :patriot:

Top Bottom