• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I am looking I buy my first 1911. I am want to spend between $700-$900. I am not sure which brand I want and am looking for suggestions on ones, maybe with details on why that would be the way to go. Thanks for any input you can give. Thanks in advance.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Don't do it ! You won't understand why not to buy one at first, but after the fifth or sixth one you'll understand completely. The first one sends you down the road of addiction.

If you do buy one after this warning, Check out Kimber. Nice guns, and they have some in your price range. Of course a Colt isn't bad either.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    FWIW, I bought a Citadel 1911 on Gunbroker.com. It was my first 1911, and I got it cheaper than cost to the shop I had it transferred to. It has all the bells and whistles that the more expensive models have, and it will run all day! I love it, and was glad to "pop my cherry" with the 1911 platform without having to drop a ton of cash. Last I knew, you could snatch one up for about $565.00 at Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I'm gettin the Sig Tac Pac in a couple weeks. The Non Railed version comes with three mags and an OWB holster. Read a lot of great things about the Sig XO 1911 that comes in the package. It'll be my first 1911 as well.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I hear a lot of good things about Rock Island Armory and IIRC are around your price range. I don't have one (but would like to) so I can't speak firsthand about reliability, functionality, etc. I have some friends that love Kimber though.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I am on the fence for a 1911 or a G21. I have brass, dies, powder, primers and 1,000 Berry's 230 gr and 1,000 lead bullets as well. So why not add a .45 to the family of pistols.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    This^^^^^ I stumbled across a Gold Cup a couple 1500s ago for a great price and couldn't pass it up. Great gun.
    I have two combat elites and a Kimber pro II, but the Gold Cup is at the tippy top of my list, hopefully your luck will rub off on me!

RandallX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    hamilton county
    i have a para 7.45 LDA, love it, and a 1918 colt, love it. personally fired a few..remington R1, springfield range officer, rock island GI, colt 1991. all of those were real nice. the range officer has some bells and whistles. i myself am wanting to add a R1 to the collection. happy hunting.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Take a serious look at the Springfield Armory Range Officer. Within your $ range and a great platform on which to build & learn.

I've owned SA & Colt. I carried the SA.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Go with a Springfield or a Colt. I'm not a big fan of the lack of quality Kimber has put out lately.

I like the Kimber 5" Custom II 1911 for less than $800. I hear about the Kimber QC issues with the MIM parts and Plastic mainspring housing. I did bust a housing (cracked actually) but I've put 6K plus on a Custom II because it's the nicest shooting and most accurate of all my 1911s. I did a complete tear down and close examination on it in July and it's not showing any wear what so ever. I was leery as well about the MIM but so far so good.
    I've got a very nice Colt GCNM I loved until I shot and then bought my first Kimber 5". I spent a lot of $$ on the Colt before I bought that Kimber and out of the box the Kimber was more accurate and never failed me. I've bought a dozen Kimbers now. Never a problem or failure of any kind.
    I own Springfields as well. Springfield's service dept is exceptional and both times I've had problems they've handled them promptly and very professionally.
    My last Colt was a Defender. That might be why I haven't bought another Colt.
    I've owned 3 RIAs. One was great and still is. I had to replace a few parts after 2K rounds but for the money it's been great. My second one I had a feed problem with and sent it back. I got it back in less than 3 weeks and it worked fine after that. The 3rd one I got would never feed. It was replaced and I sold it unfired.
    I bought a Wilson a few months ago and it's a very nice gun. I don't shoot it that often. Maybe 'cause It's a high buck gun and I don't want to mar the finish or something. I still carry my Kimber 24/7 in all weather and I can depend on it.
    I've been wanting a full size Sig 1911. I think it's going to be my next purchase.

Top Bottom