• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I am working on a Halloween special for an Indiana publication. I would like to hear about any paranormal or unexplained events that occurred while you were hunting or on your way to the tree stand.
    I would prefer you PM me with the story so you won't have to worry about others mocking what happened. Please don't make things up. I want to know what you saw or heard, how you reacted, and if changed the way you hunt. I want the whole story. I won't use your full name in the article.

I am not looking for "I think I saw a cougar" stories. I'm looking for things like floating balls of light, UFOs, haints, spooks, big foot etc. It can be events that your imagination got the best of you and the haint turned into a cow.

Thanks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I love these types of stories. It's too bad folks might need to PM you with them for fear of mocking or whatever.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I shot a turkey one time and he fell face first smack down in the dirt. Looked stone cold dead. I got up to go get him and he jumped up an ran off never to be seen again. He rose from the grave.:n00b:

The most "paranormal" thing that I ever saw while hunting.;)

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    It's too bad folks might need to PM you with them for fear of mocking or whatever.

I know it. And this topic makes us all feel a little silly when we're talking about it in broad daylight. But who doesn't feel just a little creeped out when walking through a dark basement and no flashlight?

My first "paranormal" experience was when I was a teen in northern Minnesota. My buddy and I were driving back from town in my rusty 1965 Chevelle and the fog was coming on thick. So thick, it seemed to swallow my headlights. As we dipped down to cross a swamp the fog was so bad I couldn't see but five-ten feet in front of me and my headligts kept going dimmer and dimmer. The windshield was fogging up like mad so I had the defroster blowing full power and the windshield wipers on max. Finally, in the middle of the swamp, the lights went out and the car died!
    It was a gravel road with stinky swamp water on both sides. I don't remember how long we sat there but our imaginations were running wild on what was going to climb out of the muck! Later, in the full light of day we found out our paranormal activity was caused by a busted alternater belt and a battery that couldn't handle headlights, fan, and wipers at the same time.
    To this day I don't like crossing swamps at night!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Here is one..I do not care if I am mocked..

During trapping season in 1984 my best friend from high school and I went up near Uniontown to his familys camp on the Muscatatuck river to set our trap lines...We set our traps on Friday and while we were setting our traps a mangy redbone hound kept following us around..We never opened the cabin, we just slept in our tents...The next morning at daybreak we were stoking up the fire and getting ready to go out and check our traps. There was a very heavy fog and while we were sitting around the campfire a very gravelly distinct voice said, "Have you all seen a coon dog around?"..We nearly jumped out of our skins...This is a very remote camp and the voice sounded like it was right beside us...I remember easing my hand towards my 10/22 and saying "A redbone?" and again the eerie voice (rather forlornly) said simply "No"....My buddy was getting nervous and by this time I had my gun in hand and I said "Come on into the camp and have some cofee"...There was silence and then he asked "Are you all trapping?" I said we were and got up to try to locate him...My buddy was looking around and said "I can't see him..I can't tell where he is at..." It seemed all of a sudden (but I am sure it wasn't) the fog began lifting. We began frantically searching around for him...I looked down towards the river and I saw what appeared to be a figure of a middle aged man with a fedora hat and what appeared to be a plaid hunting shirt...I began running towards the figure waving my arms saying "Who should we contact if we see the dog?" And as I got to within about 30 yards the shape began breaking up...I rubbed my eyes and the best way I can describe it he appeared to be an image projected onto the fog and as the fog began to break up his "projection" began to break up with it...He shouted out a name which escapes me to this day..As the fog lifted we went down to where I thought I saw him standing and there were no tracks...

The rest of the weekend was uneventful and when we got back to Clarksville we asked my buddy's dad about what had happened...He said he always heard that a guy had died while away from his home and supposedly he roams the bottoms trying to get home to his children or family...He didn't know the whole story but said he had heard others talking about it around North Vernon....

The years passed, my memory faded..I had convinced myself that someone was shouting at us from a couple of hundred yards away and that the reason the voice sounded close was the fog playing trick with my ears...I knew what I saw and I knew I was lying to myself but that is what people do when they don't have answers...

So now we fast forward to 2003 or 2004...I was into 18th century reenacting and a group of us were in southern Ohio for an event...A bunch of us were standing around a campfire passing around a bottle of good whiskey and telling stories....Two of the guys there were from the North Vernon area...Now keep in mind I had never told them this story...Ever....
    The bottle comes my way and with a stiff shot I go to tell my story...Here is what I get out..My exact words..."Me and a buddy had something weird happen to us up on the Muscatuck one time....." I had only gotten that far when one of the guys (Rick Apsley) looked at me and said "Did a man ask you about a coon dog?"

My look told him the answer...I inquired a little bit more and he filled me on the story as he heard it from his dad..The story goes is the man had a number children and was a widower and a passionate coonhunter..He dearly loved his children as he was there sole support...He had lost his dog while out hunting and left the oldest in charge of the younger children and went searching for his dog..While out searching he supposedly had a heart attack and died..And to this day coonhunters, fisherman, hunters, and trappers have had encounters with him..There was nothing malicious about him..He asked a few questions and was gone...The air seemed strange that morning..The fog seemd starnge..It's like everything was just a little off kilter that day..I keep describing his voice as gravelly though garbled may be a better description..It sounded close but like it was coming from a well and the way the fog lifted all seemed different than anything I have ever experianced...

My name is Richard Geary and this is the story and the aftermath as best as I can recall....I am not saying what I saw and experianced was supernatural but it did happen in the manner I described.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

During trapping season in 1984 my best friend from high school and I went up near Uniontown to his familys camp on the Muscatatuck river to set our trap lines...We set our traps on Friday and while we were setting our traps a mangy redbone hound kept following us around..We never opened the cabin, we just slept in our tents...The next morning at daybreak we were stoking up the fire and getting ready to go out and check our traps. There was a very heavy fog and while we were sitting around the campfire a very gravelly distinct voice said, "Have you all seen a coon dog around?"..We nearly jumped out of our skins...This is a very remote camp and the voice sounded like it was right beside us...I remember easing my hand towards my 10/22 and saying "A redbone?" and again the eerie voice (rather forlornly) said simply "No"....My buddy was getting nervous and by this time I had my gun in hand and I said "Come on into the camp and have some cofee"...There was silence and then he asked "Are you all trapping?" I said we were and got up to try to locate him...My buddy was looking around and said "I can't see him..I can't tell where he is at..." It seemed all of a sudden (but I am sure it wasn't) the fog began lifting. We began frantically searching around for him...I looked down towards the river and I saw what appeared to be a figure of a middle aged man with a fedora hat and what appeared to be a plaid hunting shirt...I began running towards the figure waving my arms saying "Who should we contact if we see the dog?" And as I got to within about 30 yards the shape began breaking up...I rubbed my eyes and the best way I can describe it he appeared to be an image projected onto the fog and as the fog began to break up his "projection" began to break up with it...He shouted out a name which escapes me to this day..As the fog lifted we went down to where I thought I saw him standing and there were no tracks...

The rest of the weekend was uneventful and when we got back to Clarksville we asked my buddy's dad about what had happened...He said he always heard that a guy had died while away from his home and supposedly he roams the bottoms trying to get home to his children or family...He didn't know the whole story but said he had heard others talking about it around North Vernon....

The years passed, my memory faded..I had convinced myself that someone was shouting at us from a couple of hundred yards away and that the reason the voice sounded close was the fog playing trick with my ears...I knew what I saw and I knew I was lying to myself but that is what people do when they don't have answers...

So now we fast forward to 2003 or 2004...I was into 18th century reenacting and a group of us were in southern Ohio for an event...A bunch of us were standing around a campfire passing around a bottle of good whiskey and telling stories....Two of the guys there were from the North Vernon area...Now keep in mind I had never told them this story...Ever....
    The bottle comes my way and with a stiff shot I go to tell my story...Here is what I get out..My exact words..."Me and a buddy had something weird happen to us up on the Muscatuck one time....." I had only gotten that far when one of the guys (Rick Apsley) looked at me and said "Did a man ask you about a coon dog?"

My look told him the answer...I inquired a little bit more and he filled me on the story as he heard it from his dad..The story goes is the man had a number children and was a widower and a passionate coonhunter..He dearly loved his children as he was there sole support...He had lost his dog while out hunting and left the oldest in charge of the younger children and went searching for his dog..While out searching he supposedly had a heart attack and died..And to this day coonhunters, fisherman, hunters, and trappers have had encounters with him..There was nothing malicious about him..He asked a few questions and was gone...The air seemed strange that morning..The fog seemd starnge..It's like everything was just a little off kilter that day..I keep describing his voice as gravelly though garbled may be a better description..It sounded close but like it was coming from a well and the way the fog lifted all seemed different than anything I have ever experianced...

My name is Richard Geary and this is the story and the aftermath as best as I can recall....I am not saying what I saw and experianced was supernatural but it did happen in the manner I described.

Cool!

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.

Thanks for sharing that experiance with us really enjoyed the read .thank you

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Not strictly a hunting story. This happened 6 or 7 years ago. Two fellow wildlife photographers and I were walking along a dry trail next to a heavily wooded area which was flooded. We had heard beaver slapping the water with their tails and were looking to photograph the beaver.

That is when we heard the water splashing. It sounded like someone holding a large pitcher of water high up and slowly pouring it out. It sounded close and lasted about 30 to 40 seconds and then stopped. We could see nothing and never did figure out what that could have been. Certainly wasn't a beaver relieving himself! :dunno:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010

so was the redbone just a coincidence?

Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Take a look at these links to familiarize yourself with the Bell Witch of Tennessee:

www.bellwitch.org/story.htm

TSLA::“Tennessee Myths and Legends"

While stationed in Kentucky with the Army I had read the 1860 book on this topic. Adams, TN is close to where I was stationed.

Sometimes on field maneuvers there, we would occasionally stop close to pioneer cemeteries. Some platoon's would setup next to the cemetery whereas I preferred to move back or move away from them. I didn't want to tempt fate with any paranormal activity.

I remember one field exercise where I scared myself pretty good with my active imagination. Senior NCO's would be scattered throughout a training area and squads would navigate to the senior NCO's and the squad members would then be tested on a task like assembly/disassembly of an M16, how to setup a claymore mine, etc.

I was out there by my lonesome for 1 day and night before a squad came to me. While waiting in the middle of nowhere, deep, deep in the woods I kept thinking back to what the book about the Bell Witch discussed. That night, while laying on my bed of 5-gallon water cans and MRE boxes (trying to not think of the Bell Witch), I kept listening to the footfalls I was hearing in the woods around me. These, I hoped belonged to animals. Moonlight was nonexistent, so illum (illumination) was poor. I did not have night vision goggles. It was DAF (dark as Insert favorite F word here).

My imagination was scaring the doo doo out of me for several hours before I finally fell asleep. I fully expected to awake with someone or something standing over me. The next day, they sent out another person to stay and assist with the stations that only had 1 person. Thank goodness.....I had 4 more days out there.

http://www.tennessee.gov/tsla/exhibits/myth/bellwitch.htm

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    so was the redbone just a coincidence?

I can only assume...It would sound much better if it was a "ghostly dog" but he wasn't....Although I sort of look at him as a "Harbringer" to the events....The dog being in our camp the day before gave "legitimacy" to him inquiring about a lost dog...I will never forgoet how he answered when I asked if his lost dog was a redbone...His voice sounded so dejected and all he did was say "No"...

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Don't worry. When I write it up it will be a ghostly hell hound with glowing red eyes that was trying to drag you to the grave!:D

Just kidding! I love the stories so far. I can see this working into an annual thing.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Don't worry. When I write it up it will be a ghostly hell hound with glowing red eyes that was trying to drag you to the grave!:D

Just kidding! I love the stories so far. I can see this working into an annual thing.

And big teeth...Don't forget the big teeth...Oh yeah...And the leather spike collar and the dog tag in the shape of a human skull...We must keep things accurate lest we will never get the screenplay sold...:D

Coltsfan33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Greenfield

Great story, gave me the chills at the end. Thanks for sharing

Top Bottom