• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    How many chances you think you have with her ? How many times will she afford you taking her to the range only to find out she didn't enjoy shooting whatever you had ? I would take a little time and be sure to have her pick it out... Again, a .22 would probably give her the best chance of actually having fun...

Another thing to remember is many times, smaller framed = more felt recoil which can = unpleasant experience for a new shooter....

Either would be a good choice if they feel right to you.... There are many good options out there... ZX would have about everything under one roof and you wouldn't beat the price anywhere else...

With a good belt and holster, you wouldn't even have to stay at the sub compacts... A compact size can still be easily concealed... I would look at both sizes and see what felt best....

I have a 1911 I carry right now, I was looking for something like pocket size or more of a "truck gun" than anything. I think my gf only disliked shooting the 1911 because it was so loud and that was the first time she has ever shot a gun. she loves shooting my .22 rifles. I agree I probably should have her pick out the gun that she will shoot or keep because she does have tiny hands lol

xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    I would run up to Ft. Wayne and either check out ZX Guns or make the Ft. Wayne gunshow this weekend and catch them their... They have a nice selection, great prices, are have always been very patient if you want to handle a few options...

A Glock 19 or the Smith M&P line would be worth looking at to see if either feels good to you... As for something your GF might like, IMO, I wouldn't try to full fill both your needs with just (1) gun... Get the 9mm you want that feels good to you, then consider having her find a .22 that feels good to her... The reason I say this is because if she already doesn't enjoy shooting your .45, I would think there would be a good chance she wouldn't enjoy your 9mm either. Start her with a .22, make it fun for her, let her build a little confidence, then your chance of her enjoying something bigger will be greater...

Good luck with your decision !

I have been to zxguns a few times and they do have amazing prices and a huge selection of hand guns. Everything I like is pricey lol so I thought about finding a used one so it would be a little cheaper. But I might just have to save up and buy a new one

xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    Those are both great choices. What you guys shoot and like the feel of best is all that really matters. The only thing you need to remember
    is "you buy cheap, you get cheap".

I agree with that. that's why I thought about seeing what everyone thinks about cheaper guns and get opinions on them from people who actually have one or know more about them then I do

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I think the sub-compacts are nice but have just never been my cup of tea. I currently have a Glock 19 2nd Gen, M&P 9c, and a Walther PPS 9mm. My EDC is the Walther. The other two are great guns but the PPS just seems to disappear on my waist. I'd look at a .22 for your GF to start with get her comfortable with it and advance from there.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Wife had a Ruger LC9. Got rid of it. Great in the pocket. Easy on the budget, but when you fire 1-200 rounds a month at the range with it, you'll get tired of it. Too much felt recoil for all the practice She does. She switched to an LCR .357 not sure if it's the hoage grip or the shape of the grip but it's much more to her liking.

All that said....take her to a range with rentals and let her pick after she has fired a few in your price range.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah, there is a lot of LC9 hate here. I guess I am just one of those folks who doesn't pay for a name.

It isn't a range gun anymore than an LCP is, it is something to shoot enough to be good with and carry.

xxlmac3xx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Decatur
    Wife had a Ruger LC9. Got rid of it. Great in the pocket. Easy on the budget, but when you fire 1-200 rounds a month at the range with it, you'll get tired of it. Too much felt recoil for all the practice She does. She switched to an LCR .357 not sure if it's the hoage grip or the shape of the grip but it's much more to her liking.

All that said....take her to a range with rentals and let her pick after she has fired a few in your price range.

Rentals?

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I'd say G26. I have an advantage arms .22 conversion for mine ($189) so I get the best of both worlds. My 13 year old now prefers the 9mm and my 7 yr old the .22 set up. Another thing to consider is grip size. The g26 is like a 2x4 so if she has small hands that may be a deal-breaker. Just throwing out some ideas.
    As others have said the smaller lightweight 9mm handguns can be somewhat snappy.
    Good luck whatever route you go and start sleeping with one eye open.:):

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I agree with that. that's why I thought about seeing what everyone thinks about cheaper guns and get opinions on them from people who actually have one or know more about them then I do

The problem with cheap guns is, alot of people, with expensive guns, hate them.

Iown a keltec p11, and I dont PREFER to carry it because of its long, heavy trigger pull. But every gun has its place, and mine goes with me when Im kayaking.

I have shot several of the sub compact 9mm's and I can tell you without a doubt, I LOVE the Karh CW9, its a fantastic subcompact, has a wonderful trigger, but its not a pocket gun.

Subcompact glocks are bulky, but they are much smaller than a standard glock, and shoot very well.

If it were me, and money wasnt tight, Id go glock 26, or kahr cw9. If I had to buy one on a budget, diamondback DB9, although I guess those are getting more pricey, I hear.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have both a Glock 26 (Gen3) and a Glock 19 (Gen4). I like both and while the G26 is smaller, I don't really find a big difference in the way they carry, especially if you use the pinky extension mags. Either will work great for EDC, with a good holster and gun belt.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    A CZ 75 Compact is one of the best 9mm handguns made today. It conceals easily and it shoots very nicely with the weight damping a lot of the recoil. It's worth taking a look at if you are wanting a good, all around, 9mm handgun.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I'm very fond of the M&P9c. It's easy to conceal and fairly light in weight. The S&W Shield is very similar except it is much slimmer. Try to test out whatever you are looking at before you buy if you can.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    A CZ 75 Compact is one of the best 9mm handguns made today. It conceals easily and it shoots very nicely with the weight damping a lot of the recoil. It's worth taking a look at if you are wanting a good, all around, 9mm handgun.

...and if that's too heavy you can get the PCR which has an alloy frame and the same CZ goodness.

brokemule

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Ossian, IN
    I just purchased a SIG P938 (rubbergrips w/extended magazine), about two weeks ago, took it out on Christmas day and put a 100 flawless rounds trough it. The grand kids and I had a great time, they loved it. Might be higher priced than other brands but well worth it IMO. I wish I could PM you with more info; but I do not have enough posts for that. Good Luck on whatever you decide!

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    ??

Yes, there are a number of ranges that rent pistols for range time use. Not sure what the option are in your area...Maybe somoe of the other INGO'ers from your neck of the woods knows of one or two...

Top Bottom