• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A recent hiking trip to Clifty Falls State Park has me wanting to go on more hikes this year.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ng_at_clifty_falls_state_park_in_madison.html

I took along an old backpack (the kind made for school) to carry a few essentials like a rain jacket, a scarf, gloves, fleece pullover, trail munchies, and some bottled water.

3f922082.jpg

It worked OK, but I did identify some weaknesses.

• Padded straps were barely adequate-- a heavier load would've been uncomfortable
    • It got really hot/sweaty under the pack-- soaked my shirt
    • It was stable enough for walking, but got a little unwieldy when climbing over a tree
    • Its bright blue :D
    I'm now looking at upgrading into something a bit more purpose-built. I'm looking for something with comfortable straps, in a subdued color, that has breathable backing, the ability to strap in secondary locations, is small/medium in size, and won't break the bank (under $100 if possible).

What are my options?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I would highly recommend an old A.L.I.C.E. pack w/frame. It is by far one of the most comfortable packs I have ever humped, and they can be had for pretty cheap (under $100). Although newer/better models are much more expensive. It also meets all of your requirements.

Edit: Just checked and Amazon has them for dirt cheap w/frame. I wouldnt reccommend going any larger than a medium size though. The larges are really big.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    • Padded straps were barely adequate-- a heavier load would've been uncomfortable
    • It got really hot/sweaty under the pack-- soaked my shirt
    • It was stable enough for walking, but got a little unwieldy when climbing over a tree
    • Its bright blue :D
    QUOTE]

The material on you back provides insulation and even if the material were breathable I think the items packed inside would still be insulating....in other words, in my experience you mights as well get used to sweaty back

there's a saying in the Marines for our hikes...."a tight/balanced pack is comfortable pack"....meaning pack it with weight evenly distributed on both sides and enough so that the contents don't shift around a lot and it will feel much more comforatable.....also when doing rigorous hiking it is important to make sure that you pull the shoulder straps tight...if you do not, it will not only be uncomfortable but it can cause back health issues over time, aches, pains, etc.....

I personally like our standard ILBE pack system....I've packed a crap load of weight into these things and had their seams bulging, then drop them, drag them, run with them....put them through more s**t than any average person will...and never had a problem with them tearing or otherwise being "inadequate"....I would look at the ILBE 3 day assault pack......but I'm sort of partial to it anyway.......unless someone has some better civilian equipment to suggest, I think these packs are plenty rugged and adequate

here's a link ilbe assault pack | eBay

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    the Alice's are nice........a little big/bulky...difficult to access anything without completely taking it off for the most part.....IMO....BUT the external frame design does allow air in and keeps from contact insulating your body heat

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    there's a saying in the Marines for our hikes...."a tight/balanced pack is comfortable pack"

I personally like our standard ILBE pack system....I've packed a crap load of weight into these things and had their seams bulging, then drop them, drag them, run with them....put them through more s**t than any average person will...and never had a problem with them tearing or otherwise being "inadequate"....I would look at the ILBE 3 day assault pack......but I'm sort of partial to it anyway.......unless someone has some better civilian equipment to suggest, I think these packs are plenty rugged and adequate

here's a link ilbe assault pack | eBay

I always thought the saying was "a tight pack, is a light pack". I would not recommend the ILBE. That is by far the most uncomfortable pack Ive ever used. No back support watsoever, and gets way to hot when wearing it for a long time. Just my :twocents:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I always thought the saying was "a tight pack, is a light pack". I would not recommend the ILBE. That is by far the most uncomfortable pack Ive ever used. No back support watsoever, and gets way to hot when wearing it for a long time. Just my :twocents:

yeah that too....lol I thought mine sounded off...but same concept.......anyhow, it's really just a matter of opinion for comfort....I've got about 6 different packs sitting in a spare room right now...and to me the ILBE is the most comfortable

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    we load them down with weight and survival gear and do "fitness hiking" with them....running, obstacles and various challenges...also some E&E practice, stalking, and mantracking with them....keeps skills sharp, and with the weight of the pack it can be a hell of a workout

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I like the design and idea behind that, but it still looks larger than I need/want. The price is most definitely right. :yesway:

the 3 day pack is no bigger than a typical school backpack...but you can pack a ton in it....I fit a whole case of MRE's once and some other items..lol....as long as you utilize the cross chest strap it aleviates some weight on the shoulders......I'd say you could try mine, but I don't have the 3day pack right now, just the main

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Arc'Teryx. Not poser toys but real packs. The Naos, Arrakis, Arro, Acrux and RT series... I've had a Arro 22 for nearly 10 years and just added an Arrakis 40 Tall.

There are some manufacturers who've been making bomb-proof gear for years that are overlooked as being part of the "yuppie-granola" crowd. Suunto and Arc'Teryx are two of my favorites who fit that bill. I've owned a collection of MaxPed/5.11 and the heavy duty Arc'Teryx stuff difference is clear. Want it to look more "tactical?" Google LEAF & Arc'Teryx. The USMC looked to Arc'Teryx for the design of the USMC ILBE that was built by Propper. Arc'teryx also has a lifetime warranty.

The things are incredibly durable.

(Suunto? Beat the XLander all over hell and back for over ten years. Out of boredom, I replaced it with a clearanced All-Black Mil Suunto Core. Suuntos make the timex/casio "rugged" watches look like toys.)

Osprey is another good name in packs.

Arro 22. Again, something that you can be really mobile and agile while wearing.
    arro22-top-1-2.jpg

Arrakis on some dudes back. They are 100% waterproof... effectively dry bags. The material is incredible. I'll be happy to show both to you sometime if interested.
    25000185.JPG

Arrakis suspension. Rotating disk on the back pad means you've got incredible mobility with it to climb and scramble.
    view_arcteryx_s10-arrakis-40-blackbird-suspension.jpg

LEAF Division
    http://leaf.arcteryx.com/?EN

Regular, commercial division.
    http://www.arcteryx.com/?EN

Buy once, cry once.

Last edited:

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I like the design and idea behind that, but it still looks larger than I need/want. The price is most definitely right. :yesway:
    So you only looking for a daypack then???
    You need more of a joggers pack, I am thinking...something like this
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Raptor-Daypack-Medium-Large/dp/B002N4PAMO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1326859217&sr=8-9]Amazon.com: Osprey Raptor 10 Daypack: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]
    It looks egonomic(can't spell) and well padded for support...the ones they have at walmart are like this, you can go there and test them out

Top Bottom