• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Appropriate, I'd probably say so... legal, doubt it...

If this had been a police officer who chased an armed robber and dealt out the "approrpiate" response to these jackasses, people would be calling for his head...

Actually, no. The robber fired a shot which almost hit one of the victim's family members. You know that deadly force can be used to stop a violent fleeing felon, so shooting at least one of the robbers would have been entirely appropriate, and even expected.

As far as the family kicking the dog **** out of the robbers.....well, I'm sure that they were resisting a lawful citizen's arrest. Seems appropriate to me.

:cool:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Actually, no. The robber fired a shot which almost hit one of the victim's family members. You know that deadly force can be used to stop a violent fleeing felon, so shooting at least one of the robbers would have been entirely appropriate, and even expected.

As far as the family kicking the dog **** out of the robbers.....well, I'm sure that they were resisting a lawful citizen's arrest. Seems appropriate to me.

:cool:

Yes, deadly force can be used to stop a violent fleeing felon, but once they're stopped, you can't continue to use deadly force. Unless the guys were clubbed, shot, stabbed at the exact same time... again while fleeing, someone went a lil overboard. It's one thing t o have injured/killed these guys during the crime (which I'd have zero problem with), but it quite another to chase them down, and them execute justice.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    How did cops get brought into this? Some people just need to drop the cop bashing idea. Please. Tired of hearing it.

And as far as the assailants. Caught in the act, they are lucky they're not dead. Should be. Its about time these criminals (thugs, gangstas, crroks, rapists, murderers...) get the picture that we are not going to be bullied. We will stand up for ourselves and our friends/family/neighbors. And if u want to call the police...fine. I'm all for capitol punishment.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How did cops get brought into this? Some people just need to drop the cop bashing idea. Please. Tired of hearing it.

A cop actually made the rhetorical (Post#13)

I think he was making a good point that citizens AND police should be held to standards of the law, and I agree with him.

And nobody is bashing. And I could care less what you're tired of hearing. If you're too hypersensitive to read a valid comparison about what would happen if it were slightly different, meaningful discussion isn't your thing.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Yes, deadly force can be used to stop a violent fleeing felon, but once they're stopped, you can't continue to use deadly force. Unless the guys were clubbed, shot, stabbed at the exact same time... again while fleeing, someone went a lil overboard. It's one thing t o have injured/killed these guys during the crime (which I'd have zero problem with), but it quite another to chase them down, and them execute justice.

When you have a criminal "justice" system that fails to deliver justice time and time again, this is what you get. Street justice. I don't have a problem with it. Stupid should hurt, legal or not.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie

So what you're saying, is that if someone was trying to rob your mama, you saw it happening, you and your buddy run out to help her, get shot at, then the jackasses start running away, you're just gonna let them go? :noway:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When you have a criminal "justice" system that fails to deliver justice time and time again, this is what you get. Street justice. I don't have a problem with it. Stupid should hurt, legal or not.

This is a fair statement. Stupid should certainly hurt, but is not justification for having your life snuffed out. FPD's lack of response is shameful. I don't blame the folks for organizing to defend themselves...not one bit. However, when defensive action , changes to offensive deadly force, there's an issue. There's no way the family can articulate that clubbing, stabbing, and beating each suspect was in order to prevent them from escaping.

I brought up the "could an officer do this" scenario, because you and I both know that we'd be running seriously afoul of the law if we did so. If you or I chased (and caught) a guy who had beat a 80 year old grandmother, lord knows, I would love to body check him into a wall... but we can't... nor can we pass summary judgment on the individual and beat, stab, or shoot him. If private citizens are legally able to engage "punishing" individuals, then by extension, that right should be extended to law enforcement... something I don't agree with.

So what you're saying, is that if someone was trying to rob your mama, you saw it happening, you and your buddy run out to help her, get shot at, then the jackasses start running away, you're just gonna let them go? :noway:

I certainly said nothing of the sort. If as a private citizen I could safely apprehend the suspects, I would. If during the commission of the crime, they were shot and killed, I wouldn't have a problem with that either. In the personal sense, if the situation you described, happened to my mother, I would probably but a legendary beatdown on the perp. That said, after the police arrived and found a mangled guy bleeding on the ground, I wouldn't be surprised, and would actually expect to end up in the "clink."

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I don't blame the folks for organizing to defend themselves...not one bit. However, when defensive action , changes to offensive deadly force, there's an issue.
    What issue ? That's the way it's done in El Salvador , why not here ?

There's no way the family can articulate that clubbing, stabbing, and beating each suspect was in order to prevent them from escaping.
    Not without an interpreter .

I wonder how many of these "good guys" are here legally ?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Have any of you been to Fayetteville?!

It has been a festering problem for Decades. The LE Community there has turned a blind eye to the problem long enough that the Citizens that live there have started handling problems within their Neighborhoods and Communities. Is it right?! Probably not but if the Local LEAs will not handle the problems what is one to do.

sweddle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    I love it! He was "badly leaking" and "he must be broken". Best two quotes I have seen in a long time!!!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not without an interpreter .

I wonder how many of these "good guys" are here legally?

Believe it or not, you make a valid point. I'm not going to assume that the group were illegals, but if they were, their "status," would be reason enough not inform law enforcement of the on-going issue. Illegals are are routinely targeted by (other) criminals because they don't report crimes for fear of being deported.

Other highlighted because illegals are criminals too...

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    Appropriate and legal stopped once the men were disarmed and unable to fight or flee, at that point they should have been held until the police arrived.

15 on 2 is not self defense or proper defense of another, what happened is excessive use of force. Makes no difference if it were 15 LEO's or 15 citizens involved here.

Law abiding citizens must play by the same rules we expect LE to follow or we are in fact no better than the scum bags.

No, the family should not have set back and done nothing, neither should they have taken it to this extent.

We can not apply a double standard by allowing civilians to use more force than we allow the LE community to employ in the line of duty. I would have no problem if the mob had not beaten and stabbed the men after they were disarmed and subdued.

:twocents:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I would have no problem if the mob had not beaten and stabbed the men after they were disarmed and subdued.

:twocents:

^ You're ASSuming that they were beaten, shot and stabbed while not fighting back and disarmed. For all we know the family stopped once they got them subdued, which took them being shot, stabbed and beaten.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom