• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I have a Savage Mk II in .22LR that I got for Appleseed. I like it, but the bolt action took some getting used to and honestly, if I had it to do over (or if I'd seen the LTR info) I'd have bought the 10/22. That said, I've shot 207 (of 250) with it at Appleseed events and I have a target I shot 230 on as well, though not at an Appleseed. The rifle isn't what scores the hits- YOU do. OTOH, the fewer worries, issues, and/or problems you have with your rifle, the more you can concentrate on your shooting. If I was buying a rifle and preparing today, I'd buy that 10/22, get a sling on it and a couple of mags of between 10 and 25 rounds, and start dry fire practicing daily at home, hitting the range at least once a week.

Blessings,
    B

Same here, I have a Savage Mk II in .22LR. My 10-22's are in use in another configuration and not wanting to purchase another 10-22. I have a Glenfield/Marlin 60 but not sure that the tube magazine is conducive to fast reloads. May just sit another one out :dunno:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Same here, I have a Savage Mk II in .22LR. My 10-22\'s are in use in another configuration and not wanting to purchase another 10-22. I have a Glenfield/Marlin 60 but not sure that the tube magazine is conducive to fast reloads. May just sit another one out.
    Marlin 60s work fine. You will generally load all 10 for the round, and forgo the reload. Otherwise, many will let you borrow a 10/22. We would rather you come with what you have than sit it out.

Last edited:

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Marlin 60s work fine. You will generally load all 10 for the round, and forgo the reload. Otherwise, many will let you borrow and 10/22. We would rather you come with what you have than sit it out.

This is probably what I'll do with my old Marlin .22 that is tube-fed. I presume you can't do the "official qualifying" without doing the reloads, though. It will still be great learning -- which I what I need so I'll be there!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    This is probably what I'll do with my old Marlin .22 that is tube-fed. I presume you can't do the "official qualifying" without doing the reloads, though. It will still be great learning -- which I what I need so I'll be there!

Actually, tube feds CAN qualify. We only ask that you pause for a moment as if you had to reload (unless there has been a change that I do not know about). Honor system works fine. Some instructors will have you load 11 rounds instead of 2 and 8. While others are having to swap mags, you will instead reach up and eject one round which forces the body movements we need you to correct. I would suggest a feed tube for loading the rounds when you are on the mat though, it helps alot.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    There was a young man at DWII (his first Appleseed) that scored Rifleman with a tubefed Marlin and he did his reloads as required. So it can be done. Don't sweat the equipment, learning the skills is what it is all about. Come get the training and then you will know more about what will or will not work. Most likely it may be your first Appleseed but it probably won't be your last.

I would however recomend having run a couple hundred rounds through any new rifle before bringing it especially without a backup. There usually are plenty of loaners for people to use but it is best to try and reserve one early just in case. 2 good 10 round magazines will be enough but an extra one incase 1 has an issue is a good idea. A cleaning kit to clean your rifle with after the first day is a good idea too.

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    All Right

Do we need to drag you kicking and screaming to an Appleseed! :draw:

A lot of good questions......and good answers given. Bottom line is......bring what ya got. Yes, some may put you at a disadvantage, but hey...what's a weekend without a challenge! :D

(And no wise cracks about the whole weekend being a challenge from you Appleseeders);)

As Hawkhavn stated we have more Indiana shoots coming...so you can get in two or three :rockwoot: I have six on my schedule so far, unless hawkhavn drags me kicking and screaming to more:dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Am I correct that it's $70 for me, but women and kids are free? That would mean that Cathy, Sean, and I could shoot Saturday & Sunday for $70 for the three of us, plus the $20 membership?

If so, I'm thinking Cathy's .17 HMR is too pricey to spend enough to get 400 rounds for. I'm thinking she'll have to use her single shot Rossi .22... this will also ensure I have a higher score than she does :D

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    Dave, I'd sure like to be on the mailing list when you have a Mini-AS coming up. I'm looking for that patch.

Thanks,
    Josh

In the works. What temperature would you like? We can make it a frozen mini appleseed :D Will post here when scheduled

Joe,

You've got it right.. only you have to pay $70. what a deal.

Yes. that Rossi might slow her down enough to give you the advantage.:rolleyes:

Dave

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Am I correct that it's $70 for me, but women and kids are free? That would mean that Cathy, Sean, and I could shoot Saturday & Sunday for $70 for the three of us, plus the $20 membership?

If so, I'm thinking Cathy's .17 HMR is too pricey to spend enough to get 400 rounds for. I'm thinking she'll have to use her single shot Rossi .22... this will also ensure I have a higher score than she does :D

There are occational range fees for specific shoots. You also do not have to be a member to attend the shoot. So $70 for you and range fees (if applicable).

usafe7ret said:
    As Hawkhavn stated we have more Indiana shoots coming...so you can get in two or three I have six on my schedule so far, unless hawkhavn drags me kicking and screaming to more

He only let you off at 6 because of the mini's! I am up for 7 so far this year...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Dave, I'd sure like to be on the mailing list when you have a Mini-AS coming up. I'm looking for that patch.

Thanks,
    Josh

Same here. I was hoping to have it before Barry Hussein gave the oath he has no plan of honoring, to the God he doesn't recognize, with his hand on a book he doesn't consider holy, to lead a country he wants to see destroyed.... hey, where'd this :soapbox: come from?

Put/keep me on the list, too, Dave. Thanks.

Liberty? Yeah. I'm SO there.

Blessings,
    B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    In the works. What temperature would you like? We can make it a frozen mini appleseed :D Will post here when scheduled

Cold doesn't scare me. An extra jacket will provide more padding against my ribs- helps for prone position.

We shot steel at night during December :bigballs: Why not lay on the ground in January or February. Besides, the Minis are only like 4 hours right?

I'd be down for a cold weather Mini if you are. BTW, what is the cost of a mini?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    There may be something about shooting in the cold. I could only come close to the 210 score when it was warm. It took freezing my butt off to hit 228. :D

:+1: Firearms training should be conducted in all weather conditions not just dry sunny 70* days

Top Bottom