ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    So tell me where this goes wrong.

I take a baking sheet that I used to bake a pound of bacon covered in baconny goodness, then I toss Brussels sprouts halves and chopped onion in the bacon grease, salt and pepper and an optional is add a little maple syrup, it sweetens them and adds nice flavor and caramelization. (Drain all but about 2 tablespoons of grease)

Roast at 400 until tender. Great with a salty steak…
    1. If you have to do all that to make brussel sprouts good, why bother?

2. Full disclosure; while my mom is a good cook in many respects, the way I was presented brussel sprouts as a kid was as follows: boiled. Salt and pepper optional. Literally, gagging.
    Also, same with ribs. Butcher hog, wrap parts in paper, open later, boil ribs. Once again salt and pepper optional. Never understood why people paid for ribs til much later in life.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    1. If you have to do all that to make brussel sprouts good, why bother?

2. Full disclosure; while my mom is a good cook in many respects, the way I was presented brussel sprouts as a kid was as follows: boiled. Salt and pepper optional. Literally, gagging.
    Also, same with ribs. Butcher hog, wrap parts in paper, open later, boil ribs. Once again salt and pepper optional. Never understood why people paid for ribs til much later in life.
    You find tossing nought halved Brussels sprouts in a pan already covered in bacon grease too much work? I spend more time on a TV dinner. LOL

Had similar food as a kid. Lots of things I had to learn how to eat when prepared to be tasty instead of cheap nourishment for farm labor.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I like a baked sweet potato with butter and a little brown sugar and cinnamon with my steak. Maybe some sauteed mushrooms too.
    I recently learned to sauté the shrooms in ghee (clarified butter), without the milk solids you can cook hotter and still keep butter flavor, sauté them with salt and pepper until a little browned, then pour cognac in and light it with fireplace match, stir until flames are out, toss in a few chopped chives. Mmm

The shrooms are delicious and the juice is wonderful with the steak juices mixed…

Todays sweet potatoes are so sweet I can’t take any added sugar, butter only…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I recently learned to sauté the shrooms in ghee (clarified butter), without the milk solids you can cook hotter and still keep butter flavor, sauté them with salt and pepper until a little browned, then pour cognac in and light it with fireplace match, stir until flames are out, toss in a few chopped chives. Mmm

The shrooms are delicious and the juice is wonderful with the steak juices mixed…
    I usually use butter, garlic and a little worcestershire sauce (what's this here sauce, sire? :): ). If I kept red wine around I'd put a splash of that in there too, but I don't usually have any.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom