Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I haven't been around here that long. Nor do I know churchmouse personally, but the amount of restraint he exhibited after a personal attack deserves to be commended. Good on you sir I don't know if I could have done the same.

I have to agree.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Me too. Threads like that just can't end well.

I've got one of those friends on my FB feed. Between stories about trutherism, the boundless and unending health benefits marijuana, chemtrails, I spend a lot of time scrolling if I'm up very late at night. :D

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've got one of those friends on my FB feed. Between stories about trutherism, the boundless and unending health benefits marijuana, chemtrails, I spend a lot of time scrolling if I'm up very late at night. :D

You do know you can "unfollow" a friend, right?? They will still be on your friend list, but their posts will not constantly pop up on your news feed. I have a few that I have done this with due to political differences or to avoid the drama that seems to constantly surround them. If I want to see what they are up to, I can just go to their page or message them.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wanted. Liberal/progressive gun owner to participate in gun forum with a predominately conservative membership. Free site supporter status included. Must have thick skin and be willing to have your world view challenged. No douche bags.

Lol.

On this forum we have users that lauds Trump for exploiting the tax codes while simultaneously deriding other INGOers for availing themselves legitimately of government services they themselves have spent a lifetime paying for...and they'll do so seemingly ignorant of the inherent irony in that.

Look at the tribalism here. Democrats cannot be pro-gun? Why...because some are, and the whole world is binary? Perhaps if we didn't do such a thorough job of running off those people who see the world differently than us, we might have a chance at changing American gun ownership from an us versus them thing to an us and them thing. Right now, there is no political or social capital to be gained by siding with us, from a typical Democrat's view...we are simply too cloistered and rehearsed in our rhetoric to be approachable to real-world, everyday Democrats. Look what happens when the brave one's do try...they have no support, and nobody can eloquently argue every facet of "the opposing" viewpoint every time without faltering on occasion. Every conversation becomes a dogpile, always directed at the user found guilty of wrongthink.

Gun ownership is an American tradition. We are, in large part, limiting this tradition to one "side" of the political ethos and by doing so digging a trench that separates the "us" from the "them". If being pro-gun helped Democrats get elected, more Democrats would be pro-gun. At some point we need to stop digging trenches, and start building bridges across them. We aren't really doing a great job of that.

When a liberal gun owner comes to INGO and reads the political forum, do you believe they would be encouraged to participate? I don't think so. I think the ones that are here keep their political views pretty much to themselves.

Instead, you get stuck with me.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    This is Casey Kasem with a long distance dedication from CM to.......

[video=youtube;_50-gOeBilc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_50-gOeBilc[/video]

[video=youtube;yWhpk-8QLFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWhpk-8QLFQ[/video]

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I haven't been around here that long. Nor do I know churchmouse personally, but the amount of restraint he exhibited after a personal attack deserves to be commended. Good on you sir I don't know if I could have done the same.

Churchmouse has amazing patience...and incredible aim.

It was a good ban, best not to let the rabid ones linger.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You do know you can "unfollow" a friend, right?? They will still be on your friend list, but their posts will not constantly pop up on your news feed. I have a few that I have done this with due to political differences or to avoid the drama that seems to constantly surround them. If I want to see what they are up to, I can just go to their page or message them.

I ought to try that...but I might miss something good!!!

:D

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Lol.

On this forum we have users that lauds Trump for exploiting the tax codes while simultaneously deriding other INGOers for availing themselves legitimately of government services they themselves have spent a lifetime paying for...and they'll do so seemingly ignorant of the inherent irony in that.

Look at the tribalism here. Democrats cannot be pro-gun? Why...because some are, and the whole world is binary? Perhaps if we didn't do such a thorough job of running off those people who see the world differently than us, we might have a chance at changing American gun ownership from an us versus them thing to an us and them thing. Right now, there is no political or social capital to be gained by siding with us, from a typical Democrat's view...we are simply too cloistered and rehearsed in our rhetoric to be approachable to real-world, everyday Democrats. Look what happens when the brave one's do try...they have no support, and nobody can eloquently argue every facet of "the opposing" viewpoint every time without faltering on occasion. Every conversation becomes a dogpile, always directed at the user found guilty of wrongthink.

Gun ownership is an American tradition. We are, in large part, limiting this tradition to one "side" of the political ethos and by doing so digging a trench that separates the "us" from the "them". If being pro-gun helped Democrats get elected, more Democrats would be pro-gun. At some point we need to stop digging trenches, and start building bridges across them. We aren't really doing a great job of that.

When a liberal gun owner comes to INGO and reads the political forum, do you believe they would be encouraged to participate? I don't think so. I think the ones that are here keep their political views pretty much to themselves.

Instead, you get stuck with me.

American traditions? That is pretty much from what progressives want to progress in the first place. "We" are not the ones primarily limiting the tradition to one side. They are. Gun control is not in the official Republican platform like it is in the Democrat platform.

There's a reason why a gun forum attracts a predominately conservative group. Conservatives are more "traditional". Gun ownership and use is something that many conservative families pass down generation to generation. Conservatives are much more likely to own guns, and gun ownership is an anomaly among progressives (not necessarily liberals--at least the ones who believe in liberty). Intellectual progressives believe that society has evolved beyond the need for guns. The "tribalism" is not just a thing with conservatives, it is a human condition. I've encountered worse than what INGO dishes out when I visit liberal sites.

But I do have to agree with you that it takes a special kind of liberal to want to participate with predominately conservative gun owners and endure the dogpiles. The kinds we usually get are pretty salty about their views, like david.

I would submit that the rough treatment David got was more due to his smugness and contempt for conservatives than his liberal views. I think a person trying to argue some of the points he did would have much less vinegar thrown his way if he were respectful in the way he presented his views even if several of the posters weren't.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That thread needs to be closed.
    I seriously like ATM. But some topics are poison.

ATM is a long time friend. Sadly I find myself ignoring more and more of his posts now days. I spent about 5 seconds in that thread, long enough to run away hoping it didn't stick to me. :runaway:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I will have to admit, I started taking things a bit personal with D890, when he trumpeted for everyone to pay their fair share, blah, blah, blah, give up your extra wealth, etc. etc. etc. I pushed him, maybe too much, but I work for every penny I have, and for someone to tell me I need to do more because I may be perceived to have more, all the while not paying his part that's it for me. I am actually a little upset he got the perma, but it is what it is. Many don't like my opinion, and or stance, but most have been able to either ignore me, or come to a middle ground. David890 just wanted to pop in with BS, not answer what was put to him, and in the end, went after CM's wife. I don't, as others have said, want INGO to be an echo chamber either, but hey, we have Kut!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I will have to admit, I started taking things a bit personal with D890, when he trumpeted for everyone to pay their fair share, blah, blah, blah, give up your extra wealth, etc. etc. etc. I pushed him, maybe too much, but I work for every penny I have, and for someone to tell me I need to do more because I may be perceived to have more, all the while not paying his part that's it for me. I am actually a little upset he got the perma, but it is what it is. Many don't like my opinion, and or stance, but most have been able to either ignore me, or come to a middle ground. David890 just wanted to pop in with BS, not answer what was put to him, and in the end, went after CM's wife. I don't, as others have said, want INGO to be an echo chamber either, but hey, we have Kut!

Do we?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom