• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Since Paul cut to the chase, I will too.

Abortion is not always 100% wrong. There's exceptions such as tubal pregnancy where the mother will die along with the baby.

Any other time, I believe abortion is wrong. It's not like a woman wakes up one day and discovers she's pregnant. She knew the risks when she chose to have sex. Part of being a responsible adult is accepting the results of your actions. An abortion allows a woman to ignore her responsibility at the expense of the baby.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The abortion threads are over that way. Waaaaaaay over that way ------------------------------------------->

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Okay, let's cut to the chase, then...

You want me to agree that a clump of cells without a functioning brain, lungs, kidneys, eyes, or stomach is just as human as a fully-developed (breathing) human child, because they both have "unique" human DNA...right?

I won't. I don't agree with your assessment. A zygote is not a baby. It might become one...someday, but that doesn't make it one now.

But let's move past this, we are just going to go around in circles on this. This argument is entirely pointless, and I'll explain why:

Let's assume, for the sake of discussion, that I agree...a foetus is a human being, replete with all the rights and responsibilities that go along...that doesn't change my position on abortion one bit. Surprised? You shouldn't be.

It is my position that if a completely separate human being is, in fact, occupying my body against my will I have the right to remove that occupant at any time, for any reason...it is my body, first and foremost, and no one has more say about what goes on with it than me. Not the government, not other people outside my body, and certainly not an unwelcome occupant within it.

Do you consider that homocide? Fine. I consider it justifiable homocide, then. I have agency over my body, not foetus-come-lately. Pregnancy is traumatic, permanently life-altering, and potentially deadly. It is my choice, and mine alone, to take those risks upon myself or leave them behind.

I understand the majority of you feel differently about this...I get that.

What happens when I shift this line 2 milliseconds after "birth"?

I still have a right to my body. Rearing a child can be emotionally draining, physically challenging, and financially damaging. What if the second the doctor hands me or my wife that clump of cells, it dawns on one of us I no longer wish to be saddled with this burden? Shouldn't I have the same right to end the progression as a woman does before that moment?

The clump of cells isn't self supporting. It doesn't even know day from night. It's a wriggling bag of meat. It probably wouldn't even know it was dying. With this sort of logic, im not sure why the line cannot be justifiably moved with a little consideration.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The abortion threads are over that way. Waaaaaaay over that way ------------------------------------------->

Did you honestly think this thread wouldn't go in this direction when you posted it? I saw this article the other day too and thought about posting it but didn't just because I knew it would go this way. They always do.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Since Paul cut to the chase, I will too.

Abortion is not always 100% wrong. There's exceptions such as tubal pregnancy where the mother will die along with the baby.

Any other time, I believe abortion is wrong. It's not like a woman wakes up one day and discovers she's pregnant. She knew the risks when she chose to have sex. Part of being a responsible adult is accepting the results of your actions. An abortion allows a woman to ignore her responsibility at the expense of the baby.

I feel pretty much the same way. I think I would agree to an abortion if there was a good chance my life was in serious danger. I have other family members that I think would prefer that I stay around!

Don't want a baby? Use birth control- and it's not just the woman's responsibility. Using 2 kinds of birth control at once is pretty effective. Abortion, IMO, should not be used as birth control.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What happens when I shift this line 2 milliseconds after "birth"?

I still have a right to my body. Rearing a child can be emotionally draining, physically challenging, and financially damaging. What if the second the doctor hands me or my wife that clump of cells, it dawns on one of us I no longer wish to be saddled with this burden? Shouldn't I have the same right to end the progression as a woman does before that moment?

The clump of cells isn't self supporting. It doesn't even know day from night. It's a wriggling bag of meat. It probably wouldn't even know it was dying. With this sort of logic, im not sure why the line cannot be justifiably moved with a little consideration.

I'll take that wriggling bag of meat off your hands.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Uh... your son saw... what exactly? And describe it in detail. With a throaty kind of... Kathleen Turner kind of voice.

Ha, he reminded me of a certain SNL skit "Junk in a box" with Justin Timberlake and Andy Samburg. He thought that was where I was going.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I don't remember learning human rights during biology

My original statement:

Your body and the body of the unborn are not the same thing. The right to do with your own body whatever you want ends where the body of the unborn begins.

So, you concede that the first (highlighted) part of that statement is true, as demonstrated by a basic understanding of biology?

Top Bottom