• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    If you want to talk about science, start a thread about science...not a thread about politics dressed up like science.

I've said this in other threads. Getting science information from political sources is like getting a pizza from a Chinese restaurant.
    Sure, you might get your pizza if you ask for one, but don't be surprised if it has a little squid on it.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I've said this in other threads. Getting science information from political sources is like getting a pizza from a Chinese restaurant.
    Sure, you might get your pizza if you ask for one, but don't be surprised if it has a little squid on it.
    Squid Pizza, maybe with a little Sriracha, I'd try it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    We don't create​ life, we pass it along in a sloppy exchange of genetic material that sometimes results in viable offspring, and sometimes results in far more disagreeable outcomes.

Heya PaulF,

I think we had a religious-scientific interaction awhile back. Consider this a follow-up. :)

The zygotes referenced in the OP, scientifically, what species are they? Is there any statistical chance that they will ever be any other species, or no species?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    he's just refusing to culturally appropriate. Kut, on the other hand, may not have any Cracker Jack.

I knew a guy named Jimmy...Jimmy cracked corn...And I don't care...Jimmy cracked corn...And I don't care....(Sorry...Just listened to J J Grey and MoFro do "Dirt Floor Cracka"...Every time I hear Mofro I want to move to the Florida Panhandle...):)

[video=youtube;bIEeOHe0bmw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIEeOHe0bmw[/video]

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    web_large_8439.jpg

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Heya PaulF,

I think we had a religious-scientific interaction awhile back. Consider this a follow-up. :)

The zygotes referenced in the OP, scientifically, what species are they? Is there any statistical chance that they will ever be any other species, or no species?

As much as I think this is a set-up...I'll bite:

The zygotes in the OP are reported to be human.

Will they ever be another species? In my (admittedly uneducated) opinion: no.

Will they ever be "no species"? Sure. If they never get the chance to develop beyond their current state I wouldn't consider them a "species" at all...rather a precursor to a species. If left alone, they would be...well, nothing.

This goes along with my acorn/oak tree analogy...an acorn may be genetically identical to the oak tree it may someday become, but it is functionally much different...I cannot build a canoe from an acorn.

quid pro quo, councilor: do those (lab-created) zygotes have a right to develop into full-grown humans? Who owes them safe passage? Who owes them incubation? Who owes them birth?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As much as I think this is a set-up...I'll bite:

Do I ever ask a question that isn't a setup? :D (Ok, sometimes I'm just curious, but I usually say that when it happens.)

Will they ever be "no species"? Sure. If they never get the chance to develop beyond their current state I wouldn't consider them a "species" at all...rather a precursor to a species. If left alone, they would be...well, nothing.

This is not scientific. Those zygotes are human. They may not become a viable embryo, but that does not make them non-homo sapien. They do not become nothing.

quid pro quo, councilor: do those (lab-created) zygotes have a right to develop into full-grown humans? Who owes them safe passage? Who owes them incubation? Who owes them birth?
    Clearly, some things are beyond human control. Does every zygote have the right to be born? If only that were within our technology - many a couple struggling with infertility would have hope.

Rather, it is one of opportunity. Should every zygote deserve an opportunity to develop? If a zygote develops to a viable embryo, what then?

Perhaps most importantly, shouldn't there be a principled reason for a societal decision where to draw the lines?

Personally, it looks like technology is moving forward dramatically. It is not beyond the realm of possibility to say that we might be able to determine fetal viability in individual cases with a high level of confidence. The Supreme Court did not have that when it decided Roe v. Wade. I think that's an important time-stamp. Once an embryo is viable, it is a life separate from the mother in legally meaningful ways.

Top Bottom