License, registration.....and religious status?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is where I think you are giving too much ground. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed had the exact same personal experience as Steve. The beholder is delusional. Personal experience carrying over to others is the definition of religion, else they wouldn't have a clue about the experience. Or, experiences would be competing and we would see an even distribution of experiences, religions. We don't.

This is an aside but I saw Karen Armstrong recommended upthread. Please read the academic review of her works before buying in.

While your position makes sense from the perspective of a nonreligious individual, I would caution you that your position rests on the notion that your non-observation of a certain phenomenon demonstrates that the phenomenon is false. I could make the same argument defending the notion that you do not exist since I have never seen you.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    While your position makes sense from the perspective of a nonreligious individual, I would caution you that your position rests on the notion that your non-observation of a certain phenomenon demonstrates that the phenomenon is false. I could make the same argument defending the notion that you do not exist since I have never seen you.

No, you can't. I can prove that I exist. We can meet in the natural world.

Testable.

Repeatable.

Falsifiable.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    No, you can't. I can prove that I exist. We can meet in the natural world.

Testable.

Repeatable.

Falsifiable.

Let's see...I have witnessed events that fall squarely outside the realm of conventional 'reality' (and, NO, I WILL NOT ATTEMPT A REPETITION!) and you are not going to convince me that I did not see what I saw or experience what I experienced, which happened within the natural world.

Evolution, which is held up as 'settled science' does not meed the criteria of being testable or repeatable.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Let's see...I have witnessed events that fall squarely outside the realm of conventional 'reality' (and, NO, I WILL NOT ATTEMPT A REPETITION!) and you are not going to convince me that I did not see what I saw or experience what I experienced, which happened within the natural world.

Evolution, which is held up as 'settled science' does not meed the criteria of being testable or repeatable.

Testable. Repeatable. Falsifiable.

0 for 3.

Vishnu approached me last night.

And no, evolution is testable and repeatable. As well as falsifiable. But, I don't want another evolution discussion. The last time I tried that on INGO I was presented with power crystals on the Ark that grew plants for the dinosaurs in the galley of a boat.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    This is where I think you are giving too much ground. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed had the exact same personal experience as Steve. The beholder is delusional. Personal experience carrying over to others is the definition of religion, else they wouldn't have a clue about the experience. Or, experiences would be competing and we would see an even distribution of experiences depending largley on geography, religions. We do. No one comes to Jesus in India unless someone sells them their own thoughts. Evidence be damned.

This is an aside but I saw Karen Armstrong recommended upthread. Please read the academic review of her works before buying in.

ETA: Theses discussions are difficult to have via print. We could be saying the same thing but teasing out minutiae will always prove to be difficult.

I'm not sure about that. I mean, convincing evidence is just that - convincing. I know plenty of people who are religious who aren't idiots.. They profess to have felt the Holy Spirit. The only conclusion that I can come to is that they have convincing evidence, and I don't.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    This is where I think you are giving too much ground. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed had the exact same personal experience as Steve. The beholder is delusional. Personal experience carrying over to others is the definition of religion, else they wouldn't have a clue about the experience. Or, experiences would be competing and we would see an even distribution of experiences depending largley on geography, religions. We do. No one comes to Jesus in India unless someone sells them their own thoughts. Evidence be damned.

Two people witness a car accident. One claims that the red car ran the red light. The other claims that the blue car ran the red light. Because the two claims are different, both witnesses must lying?

Does this really pass for logic in the academic world?

Passing along the things that I have seen and experienced makes me a witness. Witness testimony is valid evidence in any court of law. Is it always accurate? Of course not. But it is evidence. And it is not inherently unreasonable to consider that evidence when deciding what world-view you subscribe to.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I rest my case.

That doesn't mean you won. It means you don't have anything left to say. I suspect this is because you realize you can't actually prove you exist and continuing down that path results in it being quite obvious you can't.

You can prove that I will behave as if you exist, should we meet. You can prove my existence is consistent with you existing. You cannot prove you actually exist.

You cherry-picked a post.

This is the last time I will engage you in this thread. Honesty matters.

Sort of like that. Evasion, but with the added bonus of a veiled ad hominem attack.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yeah, what's with the personal attacks? This isn't the only time recently that someone's honor has been impugned by accusation of honesty. Maybe, just maybe, the accuser misunderstands the motive behind the post, the full context of the post, etc. but among certain people there is a tendency to scream "liar!" I don't know if that is the crutch of a failing argument, or just a narrow minded perception of Internet language, often written hastily and without the time or space to fully develop a thought.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Does someone who tries to put a peg in wrong deserve to suffer without end? How is that just?

I was referring to his attempt to reconcile the differences between modernist principles and post-modernist beliefs. If you can prove a tangible existence of God, then it’s no longer God, because the existence of God is dependent on faith.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom