Libertarian Opinion; Is the Concept of "Price Gouging" a Communist Concept?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There was a thread here about it. Check the "boycott chapter than dirt" face book page or look here. Basically ctd sided with the lib s over online gun sales for a couple days, lost teens of thousands of subscribers ect ect before wising up.

Charging 60$ for a pmag? Free markets wool handle that too, lol

Forgive my ignorance about the issue, but did Cheaper Than Dirt officially come out and say why they briefly suspended firearm sales? I wasn't sure if they suspended sales due to philosophical reasons (caving to liberal media) or if they simply suspended sales due to insufficient inventory like several other businesses have done.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    There was a thread here about it. Check the "boycott chapter than dirt" face book page or look here. Basically ctd sided with the lib s over online gun sales for a couple days, lost teens of thousands of subscribers ect ect before wising up.

Charging 60$ for a pmag? Free markets wool handle that too, lol

COMMUNIST! :laugh:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Forgive my ignorance about the issue, but did Cheaper Than Dirt officially come out and say why they briefly suspended firearm sales? I wasn't sure if they suspended sales due to philosophical reasons (caving to liberal media) or if they simply suspended sales due to insufficient inventory like several other businesses have done.
    Did you miss the part of my post where I told you where to find more information on the subject if you wanted to know more?:dunno:

Would have been quicker than asking a question that was already answered.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Did you miss the part of my post where I told you where to find more information on the subject if you wanted to know more?:dunno:

Would have been quicker than asking a question that was already answered.

I did some searching this afternoon, but never found any damning evidence that Cheaper Than Dirt did any more than raised prices (a lot) to pump the brakes during the initial panic buying, and paused it's firearm sales while guns were flying off the shelves (possibly just trying to prevent them from selling items they didn't have in inventory). Do you have any other evidence? I read a lot of speculation and a lot of complaints from people that don't like their business practices, but precious few facts.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Sorry, we haven't really discussed that. It is mentioned in the original post, last paragraph.

Yes, I read that. I don't understand how charging $250 for a sheet of plywood while a hurricane is bearing down is an indictment against communism.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Well its one thing to take a 900 Bushmaster AR and jack it up to 1100 or 1200 dollars its an entirely different kind of crazy to jack it up to 1800 dollars which I recently saw at a gunshop on the southside of Indy.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I read that. I don't understand how charging $250 for a sheet of plywood while a hurricane is bearing down is an indictment against communism.

If one agrees that communism sets prices based on "need" instead of being based on supply and demand, one can see how in a time of increased demand (like the current surge in demand for AR-15's) that people's efforts to control prices only make shortages worse.

The post that discusses the gentleman who tried to haul generators to the Mississippi area after Katrina is a great example. Even though he went to a ton of work, took on a ton of risk, and people voluntarily purchased the goods he brought, he was JAILED for "price gouging" and all the generators were seized. Who was harmed in that situation? The even better question is, who was helped in that situation? Calling something "price gouging" seems more about control, than anything that helps our economy respond to emergencies.

In your plywood example, much like the high prices we are seeing right now on magazines, are serving as a life lesson for people who have failed to prepare. Hopefully the pain of seeing $250 plywood encourages folks to plan ahead for the next emergency by purchasing some plywood when prices go back down, storing it, buying shutters, etc.

Last edited:

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well its one thing to take a 900 Bushmaster AR and jack it up to 1100 or 1200 dollars its an entirely different kind of crazy to jack it up to 1800 dollars which I recently saw at a gunshop on the southside of Indy.

Check Gunbroker; I think they may be closer to current market value than we'd like to admit. With that, and the prospect of limited supply for the near future, I could see how they wouldn't want to give their last one away.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Why are they different?

It's all just a number. It's the buyer who sets the price, not the seller. If your price is too high, it won't sell. If it sells, your prices wasn't too high.

If I own something, why can't I put any price on it that I wish?

I really don't understand this it all.

Top Bottom