• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Currently considering a light for my HD shotgun in the low to medium end range, here are a few options I'm considering:

• [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Flashlights-E21-Flashlight/dp/B0041NE8TG/ref=pd_sbs_hi_4]Amazon.com: Fenix E21 Flashlight: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]
    • [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Guard-Dog-Waterproof-Rechargeable-Flashlight/dp/B0052BQBMS/ref=pd_sim_sg_3]Amazon.com: Guard Dog Security Halo 290 Lumen 5 Function Waterproof Rechargeable Tactical Flashlight (5.9-Inch, Black): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]
    • [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88030-Tactical-Flashlight-Lithium/dp/B003GXF9MW/ref=sr_1_17?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1320845108&sr=1-17]Amazon.com: Streamlight ProTac 1L Professional Tactical: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Questions - do you have any of these? What do you think of them if so? If you do not, what do you use, and why do you like it? Do you have a preferred mount? What style of mount do you prefer? (ring vs rail)

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    While your thread is helpful, there is still a lot of back and forth on lights, mounts, and mounting positions with very few people weighing in with real world experience.

That was helpful though, thank you. Did you end up leaving your TLR-1 mounted on a rail at 9 o'clock?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm still playing with what position to use. I'll probably just keep it at 9oclock.

From my own research, the TLR1 is a VERY popular light to use on a shotgun.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Of the three you listed I'd go with the Halo 290 Lumen light. The light is just one part of the puzzle though. How do you intend to mount the light?

I have an 870 and I may end up copying your setup here.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The main problem with a light on a pump gun is activation. You need to be able to activate the light while simultaneously running the action-- very difficult.

I'm not a shotgun guy by any stretch, but I've yet to see anything that works better than Surefire's forend lights.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    The main problem with a light on a pump gun is activation. You need to be able to activate the light while simultaneously running the action-- very difficult.

I'm not a shotgun guy by any stretch, but I've yet to see anything that works better than Surefire's forend lights.

How does Surefire solve the problem of activation better than anyone else with a pressure switch?

At this point I'm really unlikely to spend $150-$200 on a flashlight that is the same as the $50 flashlights other than the fact that it is supposedly 'indestructible' on a shotgun that rarely ever gets used with the exception of occasional training. While I don't doubt the reputation of surefire lights, they are overkill for my situation unless they solve a problem better than their competitors do.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    How does Surefire solve the problem of activation better than anyone else with a pressure switch?

They solve it by integrating everything into one unit-- forend, light, and switch.

This allows the operator to maintain contact on the pressure switch while they are running the slide back and forth.

Other solutions, like a light simply mounted to the mag tube, are great if the light is staying on 100% of the time (not advisable), but once you run the slide rearward your light goes off.

Here is a visual example:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loKhll6aKqk[/ame]

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    At this point I'm really unlikely to spend $150-$200 on a flashlight that is the same as the $50 flashlights other than the fact that it is supposedly 'indestructible' on a shotgun that rarely ever gets used with the exception of occasional training. While I don't doubt the reputation of surefire lights, they are overkill for my situation unless they solve a problem better than their competitors do.

I tend to agree with this, but in this particular case its only because Surefire is the only game in town that integrates everything into one unit. If Streamlight did something similar then I'd recommend that.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    what other options are out there for mounting lights? Ive always thought the surfire forend was the way to go because it is a fully integrated unit, just never dropped the coin yet.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Interesting, I'll check that out but I bet it's quite a bit beyond what I want to spend right now. Thanks.

Believe me, I certainly understand. I just wanted to point out that its the only system that works well for defensive purposes. I wish there were less expensive options that were as efficient.

If you notice in the Elzetta video in the above link, it certainly works while attached to the gun, but the guy simply turns it on, tosses a few rounds downrange, and then turns it off. This isn't how a home- or self-defense scenario will play out. Most shotgun trainers (or anyone who teaches fighting with a light) will advocate quick bursts with the light enough to ID the target and ensure hits, but nothing more. Leaving a light on all the time only makes you a big target in a dark room.

what other options are out there for mounting lights? Ive always thought the surfire forend was the way to go because it is a fully integrated unit, just never dropped the coin yet.

The only alternative that could work reasonably well that I'm aware of would be a railed forend with a TLR-1 or similar weaponlight attached. This would allow you the same basic manipulation as the Surefire, albeit using two separate pieces.

ERGO GRIP® 3-RAIL SHOTGUN FOREND - Brownells

p_573000039_1.jpg

TLR-1 Tactical Illuminator Flashlight White LED Batteries (2 CR123A Lithium) Fits Picatinny or Glock-Style Rails Aluminum Matte

711505.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You have to be careful of railed forends too. They can hurt your hand. While holding the forend, and the recoil, it can cause the "cheese grater" effect.

I found some nasty pictures when I was researching lights.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Why? Because 290 lumens is more than enough to temporarily blind anything that would be in shotgun range. For the price that the flashlight is I wouldn't be counting on using it everyday, but it's probably work just fine for short usages. 290 lumens is pretty unreal and for that price I may just buy one regardless.

Top Bottom