• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Seeing Phylo's comment on Tool and his growing collection of LP's, I got to wondering about what songs/riffs everyone plays the most when they pick up their guitar. Maybe worthy of its own thread.

II normally play BlackBird, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Diamonds & Rust, and Don't Think Twice It's All Right as warmups (not all on the same day, necessarily, but frequently) on the acoustics.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Seeing Phylo's comment on Tool and his growing collection of LP's, I got to wondering about what songs/riffs everyone plays the most when they pick up their guitar. Maybe worthy of its own thread.

II normally play BlackBird, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Diamonds & Rust, and Don't Think Twice It's All Right as warmups (not all on the same day, necessarily, but frequently) on the acoustics.
    I play several Neil Young songs (I know, not popular on INGO right now, but they're easy). :): A little Pink Floyd (Breathe and Wish You Were Here), Staind (It's Been Awhile). But I haven't picked up my guitar in a few years. :( Need to remedy that.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Smoke on the Water.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I am 100% stuck in a Tool rut and have been for months now. I'm not positive what it is about their music and Adam Jones' playing in particular. I will pick up a bass one of these days, mostly for some of the cooler Tool base lines.

I still force myself to pick up one of the others at least once a week. My 74 stays in standard tuning and usually sees a variety of classic rock stuff, or at least the first 30 seconds to a minute different songs.

I keep my 96 Classic tuned half step down and when I pick it up it's usually for Hendrix or SRV stuff.

One of these days I'm gonna record a "session" for lack of a better term. I don't think there is anything I've ever experienced which would demonstrate the volatility of an ADHD mind more than me just noodling away through whatever songs pop up organically. So far Tool is the only band whose music I've managed to learn the entire songs to but I usually have three or four of them at some stage of being learned at any given time. They don't write particularly short songs.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Playing at home is like picking the pepperoni off the pizza. I tend to go for the tasty bits as well on stuff from the Stones, Boston, Doobie Bros. Not playing for an audience means I don't have to play the verse and chorus over and over. Stick with the high points and the hooks.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Being in a place where I can play a couple times a day gives me a lot of opportunity to explore. For fun, I set up rhythm box, lay a 2, 5, 1 track on a looper, and comp some Jazz chord melodies, Usually 6/8 timing. I really enjoy the Duke Ellington era of Jazz bands. Chord substitutions are a big thing with Jazzers. Lots of opportunity to learn new chords. Lots of b5's, 6ths and add 9's

For rock, I do the same in 4/4 with a 1, 4, 5, except I throw a bass line on top before I noodle with whatever guitar I feel like playing. I am kind of stuck in the 60's and 70's. when playing songs. I'll jump from Magic Carpet ride to Time in a Bottle, Hot Rod Lincoln to Heard it through the Grapevine. Maybe wash it down with some Eagles and some Johnny Cash.

I buy those thick Fake Books for different Genre'. Half a dozen of those with keep you busy for a life time. It is now so easy to find a song on the internet to listen to and learn the details. I wish it was like that in 1970.

Music gives me some respite from the demonic activities in Washington.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I'm usually working on whatever songs I was issued, playing along with the youtube version. We've been on hiatus since December at church due to remodeling so I haven't had anything new to work on. Lately, I've got an app that has metronome and drum patterns and just working on new patterns and scales just to stay in practice and learn a few new things.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Being in a place where I can play a couple times a day gives me a lot of opportunity to explore. For fun, I set up rhythm box, lay a 2, 5, 1 track on a looper, and comp some Jazz chord melodies, Usually 6/8 timing. I really enjoy the Duke Ellington era of Jazz bands. Chord substitutions are a big thing with Jazzers. Lots of opportunity to learn new chords. Lots of b5's, 6ths and add 9's

For rock, I do the same in 4/4 with a 1, 4, 5, except I throw a bass line on top before I noodle with whatever guitar I feel like playing. I am kind of stuck in the 60's and 70's. when playing songs. I'll jump from Magic Carpet ride to Time in a Bottle, Hot Rod Lincoln to Heard it through the Grapevine. Maybe wash it down with some Eagles and some Johnny Cash.

I buy those thick Fake Books for different Genre'. Half a dozen of those with keep you busy for a life time. It is now so easy to find a song on the internet to listen to and learn the details. I wish it was like that in 1970.

Music gives me some respite from the demonic activities in Washington.
    If Son of Dave played a guitar, he would be even awesomer.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'm turning over a new leaf on practicing this year. Covid has had me sitting and noodling like everybody, and am really rusty on everything. So I've cut out almost everything except playing along to songs. I'm playing through GnR Appetite for Destruction (that used to be my road jam driving back and forth to school), and drums I'm working my way through Zenyatta Mondatta. I will still do some rudiments stuff on pad days, but that's it. Plug in and go, cold. The outcome is not usually pretty on the first time through. And I've kinda-sorta resolved to start recording my practices, although I haven't had the heart to look at that yet.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I just looked him up, The man writes some dark lyrics. Is Crash Test dummies his band or are they just performing his songs? With a 25th reunion tour, they have been in the alt scene a while.
    Kinda sorta - Son of Dave played harmonica for Crash Test Dummies but that was mostly because he could play harmonica. They are Canadian so maybe that explains it.
    I was referring to his one-man-show performances. He mostly plays blues. He did a great show at Bristol but I don't see those videos anymore. He used to sit surrounded by the crowd in small venues. It looks like now he has moved more to the stage. He has kind of a cult following.

Reactions: Leo

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The main reason I am learning guitar is to accompany myself singing. So I'm learning songs that I like to sing. Currently working on Me and Bobby McGee. I'm struggling with some chords because my fingers are so short. I need to stretch my fingers.

Top Bottom