• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Never listen to someone that says they'll remain open.

Like a moron I listened to my local bottled water company and only got 5 jugs for my water cooler. The next day they closed until further notice.

Now I'm stuck with dasani or aquafina water.

My well water is iffy and waiting on installation of whole house filtration system.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Never listen to someone that says they'll remain open.

Like a moron I listened to my local bottled water company and only got 5 jugs for my water cooler. The next day they closed until further notice.

Now I'm stuck with dasani or aquafina water.

My well water is iffy and waiting on installation of whole house filtration system.
    Try kroger, menards, lowes, walmart(at your own risk). All of those places and more all sell the large jugs of water. I've tried all of the expensive waters but for me the one I like the most (best tasting to me) for my water cooler is Kroger's jugs. I have no idea what it is but I like it.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    #1, I'm still learning and this is the most encouragement to learn I have had in a long time.

Foodstores are more than adequate for the current situation. Overestimation of my needs has shown me how to easily survive with a grocery run every two weeks as opposed to the twice a week visits I was accustomed to.

INGO can get nasty (if not downright obnoxious and mean) when the chips are down.

CM, I'm praying for ya'.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    #1, I'm still learning and this is the most encouragement to learn I have had in a long time.

Foodstores are more than adequate for the current situation. Overestimation of my needs has shown me how to easily survive with a grocery run every two weeks as opposed to the twice a week visits I was accustomed to.

INGO can get nasty (if not downright obnoxious and mean) when the chips are down.

CM, I'm praying for ya'.

Thanks man. Without the FTF and the anonymity of the interwebs people tend to get louder (Type harder) when the safety barrier is in place. Alter egos and personality's are developed. It is actually fun to watch in an offbeat kind of way. But yeah, folks tend to go straight up "DUFFASS" when the heat is on. It puts those I would trust out front. They stand above the rest.

This insanity just clarifies what I have always suspected and now know to be true. People are idiots. Not all of them but the majority. Toilet paper for Gods sake.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    This insanity just clarifies what I have always suspected and now know to be true. People are idiots. Not all of them but the majority. Toilet paper for Gods sake.

Think of how stupid the average person is... then remember that 50% of the population is dumber. If that doesn't scare you, nothing will.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    There are always lessons to be learned. I'm sure every prepper has taken something from this situation. My preps were only a B+. I beefed up my sanitation supplies early on when they were still easily available and I wasn't really sufficiently prepared for my animals. Lessons learned.

With supply lines not completely cut off we’re A+. With supply lines completely cut off we’d be an A- for three months and B- for six months. Animal feed and meds were a weak point, but after three months of no resupply and no prospect of it we’d be eating the animals that couldn’t survive anyway.

I mostly gave up beating the drum of trying to get other people to prep. It’s a Sisyphean task.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    At first I thought folks were hoarding food to clear out grocery stores like they did but then came to understand that there were lots of others in my situation. This time of year we work insane hours and eat out 90%?of the time and had little food in stock for current eating needs when they shut down the restaurants. We had to scramble to get day to day food in. (I have emergency stores but that is survival food.). Someone posted that Americans eat 50% of their food out and suddenly those folks had to procure day to day food. I now have emergency food and day to day preserved food as well and will maintain that even after this is over.

If if my day to day stores get older and unused I will donate to food banks and replenish them, but I will have them...

Some have suggested to stock what you eat to rotate and they would be right, but that doesn't work as well for those on the go all the time. Remember the point, Americans eat 50% of their meals out. To me the amount I want in reserve would be more than I eat at home.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Some have suggested to stock what you eat to rotate and they would be right, but that doesn't work as well for those on the go all the time. Remember the point, Americans eat 50% of their meals out. To me the amount I want in reserve would be more than I eat at home.
    Plenty of meals can be taken and made on the go with just alittle prep work and planning.
    We have become lazy as a society. Believe me I am just as guilty as anyone else. My family and I eat out or have meals delivered at least 5 days a week, sometimes multiple times a day (before the virus).
    It's just our preference.
    But I've always had a stock of food and i also prepare breakfast daily and sometimes will cook dinner.
    Since all this started I've been cooking 3 meals daily. I'm not bringing any outside prepared food into my home.
    Sorry if that's hurting small restaurants but I'm not trusting our health to others. All it takes is one innocent mistake.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I should have mentioned this is in my first post, but the BIGGEST takeaway from this is to stay in shape to the best of our ability. Things like obesity, diabetes, tobacco, heart disease, etc. seems to make this virus much worse. Stop eating garbage and start exercising as much as you’re able. I’m a 4-5 day per week CrossFit nut, but I also eat like a trash panda. Moving forward I’m going to drink more water and less diet soda, more chicken breast cooked at home and less Chipotle, and I’m going to leave those damn Reese Easter eggs alone. I’m also going to mix in more jogging and biking. If there is one thing more important than any other in this pandemic it’s living as healthy as you’re able.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I should have mentioned this is in my first post, but the BIGGEST takeaway from this is to stay in shape to the best of our ability. Things like obesity, diabetes, tobacco, heart disease, etc. seems to make this virus much worse. Stop eating garbage and start exercising as much as you’re able. I’m a 4-5 day per week CrossFit nut, but I also eat like a trash panda. Moving forward I’m going to drink more water and less diet soda, more chicken breast cooked at home and less Chipotle, and I’m going to leave those damn Reese Easter eggs alone. I’m also going to mix in more jogging and biking. If there is one thing more important than any other in this pandemic it’s living as healthy as you’re able.

This is my biggest takeaway as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With supply lines not completely cut off we’re A+. With supply lines completely cut off we’d be an A- for three months and B- for six months. Animal feed and meds were a weak point, but after three months of no resupply and no prospect of it we’d be eating the animals that couldn’t survive anyway.

I mostly gave up beating the drum of trying to get other people to prep. It’s a Sisyphean task.

Damnit another word to Google.....:):

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

Absolutely correct.
    We were low on over the counter meds. and pet food.
    Once we get back to a new normal, I will be stocking up on other supplies as well.
    We have about 6 weeks on hand, but need much more.
    I will be installing some additional shelving in some of our closets to keep supplies on hand.
    This won't be the last emergency that we face.

Last edited:

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Next major project is a non-fossil fuel based power source. Grid down is still a greater threat (pandemic was much lower risk I think - and look where we are).

Talk about a perfect time for a grid down attack.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This has been a catalyst for me to do many things I always said I wanted to do but put off. Get a water purification system, freezer, etc.

It also gave me a project beyond regular work since social has not been an option. Money that would have gone to restaurants went to preps.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I've learned that I don't know enough to be able to think too far ahead, that I am not good at forecasting what the next 3-6-12 months could look like as the economy sputters, as companies struggle, as the marketplace shifts to various plants closing/decreasing production, etc. There seems to be a bunch of generalist pollyanna talking heads, and few doomsday, "it'll be like the Great Depression all over again". With the pork plants (temporarily) closing, we know there will be a mean hiccup... what else?

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    In Russia, people waited in blocks-long food lines for bread, Babushkas in headscarves and men in tattered hats with worn out shoes.

In America, our poor line up in SUVs and mini-vans and wait in miles-long lines for someone to put food in the back of their car.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    In Russia, people waited in blocks-long food lines for bread, Babushkas in headscarves and men in tattered hats with worn out shoes.

In America, our poor line up in SUVs and mini-vans and wait in miles-long lines for someone to put food in the back of their car.

Life in America is tough. If we had only listened to Bernie and AOC!!

:):

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom