• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    We were personally fairly well prepared for this. My biggest lesson is I'm pretty soft though about the idea of doing without.

I was sitting here Sunday with 2 full refrigerators, freezer, and pantry and all I wanted was some brand of cereal that I don't have.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A new lesson learned here, once started stocking up it is hard to know when to stop.

Also so I have a new unit of measure, I count meals on hand. That would be a protein and a side that would be filling.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We were personally fairly well prepared for this. My biggest lesson is I'm pretty soft though about the idea of doing without.

I was sitting here Sunday with 2 full refrigerators, freezer, and pantry and all I wanted was some brand of cereal that I don't have.

I think most all of us have or addictions and druthers. We have become so used to having about anything we want on a whim. Especially the females. I am surrounded by them and one thing I have learned through this...….I am doomed.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Meals on hand is a good place to start. Preppers generally measure their stores by number of days of food. Get an estimate of number of meals and divide by 3 and again by number of people you expect to feed to estimate number of days of stored food. 30 days is good place to start. Some work towards 60 or 90 days or longer storage which will get you past the vast majority of possible problems.

Set your own comfort level and stock to it. Then do not waste that food. Rotate and eat what you store. It doesn't do any good to put away a bunch of food and then waste it.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    We were in pretty good shape when this whole fiasco started. I had let life get in the way of maintaining our minimum of 60 days of supplies, but we were still at 30 plus. Right now, we have 2 full chest freezers and 2 full refrigerators full of food (mostly protein) as well as a huge pantry full of dry/canned goods.

However, listening to the storms roll through last night, it made me realize how dependent we are on the grid being up and running. I have a good sized back up generator, but really need to look into a long term (like weeks/months) solution to our power dependency. Also alternative heat sources that are not grid dependent.

So instead of buying another CZ pistol (like I need another), I am going to start planning more long term.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Looking after my addiction - chocolate.
    Spent the last two weeks buying up Easter chocolate on sale for vacuum packaging and storage in a 5-gallon bucket (didn't all fit this year).
    And not just anything. Prefer Dove, Godiva, Cadbury eggs (caramel and chocolate cream only) and Russel Stover. Hershey is OK, Franklin is marginal, and anything Palmer has a lot of nerve being labeled "chocolate." More like processed sawdust.
    Current stock should last most of the year.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    However, listening to the storms roll through last night, it made me realize how dependent we are on the grid being up and running. I have a good sized back up generator, but really need to look into a long term (like weeks/months) solution to our power dependency. Also alternative heat sources that are not grid dependent.
    Might be the time to invest in a pressure canner and supplies. All meat can be canned, and some of it is improved in the process, but it takes a lot of time and heat.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I got stung pretty bad this year on garden plants and seeds. My preferred greenhouse is driveup/curbside only, which I don't care for. The farm and hardware store that normally have big sales have a weaker selection and pricing that is higher than routine.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I got stung pretty bad this year on garden plants and seeds. My preferred greenhouse is driveup/curbside only, which I don't care for. The farm and hardware store that normally have big sales have a weaker selection and pricing that is higher than routine.
    I thought I would try starting seeds this year. I started way too late and also did not research the heat needed to get things to germinate (like pepper plants) so I'll still be buying some. But that's OK; I finally have a good place to start seeds in our new barn. Next step is to save seeds: I don't know if I'll do that before retirement. I've collected a few seeds before but that also ends up being canning and hunting season and I never got them properly stored and catalogued.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    One take away I have gotten is do not support Amazon during the good times because they are just waiting to **** you when things go bad.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I think most all of us have or addictions and druthers. We have become so used to having about anything we want on a whim. Especially the females. I am surrounded by them and one thing I have learned through this...….I am doomed.

Brother...You've met mine...

"Let's finish up that chicken I grilled yesterday..."

"Nah....I'm tired of chicken..."

"You JUST ate it yesterday!"

"I know...I just want something else...That was a breast...Can you grill me a thigh wrapped in bacon??? That's what I really want..."

"Yes ma'am....You know you should really just...."

"Blah, blah "there's a pandemic going on" blah, blah "other's aren't so fortunate" blah, blah..Just fire up the grill and you eat the chicken from yesterday..."

"I don't like chicken..."

"Well Geary boy!!! Ain't you heard? There's a pandemic going on and others aren't so fortunate...Eat yesterdays chicken and fix me a fresh one...."

"Yes ma'am..."

True story....

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just bought my first package of boneless thighs last week. Wrapping them in bacon and grilling them sounds good! I've never tried that before.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have found the problem of trying to buy groceries and clean things an incredible unsolvable problem. To be clear I do not fear C-19 but it has made me think about what if...

A hypothetical:

So while getting groceries you pick up a can with an unseen deadly virus, you put it in your cart, run it through checkout, you have it on your hands, you must get out your CC to pay, then put the contaminated can and all it touches in a bag in your truck. At home you must get the stuff out, clean it and put it away.

In what order do you touch stuff to put it away?

I want to see what you got...

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I have found the problem of trying to buy groceries and clean things an incredible unsolvable problem. To be clear I do not fear C-19 but it has made me think about what if...

A hypothetical:

So while getting groceries you pick up a can with an unseen deadly virus, you put it in your cart, run it through checkout, you have it on your hands, you must get out your CC to pay, then put the contaminated can and all it touches in a bag in your truck. At home you must get the stuff out, clean it and put it away.

I've pondered this...you know what I do? I put my stuff away and wash my hands. I do sanitize after returning my cart before getting in my truck. :dunno:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

A hypothetical:

I go the store (no gloves, no mask, no goggles, etc) I pick up what I'm shopping for and place it in my cart. I take it to the self checkout, scan everything, pull cash out of my pocket and pay. Then I bag everything and head to my car. I put my bags in the trunk and return my cart to the corral. I go home and take those bags out of my trunk and into my house. I then put my groceries away. If I remember to, I wash my hands. If I forget I make a sandwich or something else with my dirty hands and have lunch. I then go on about my day. Easy peasy.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

A hypothetical:

I'm not asking what anyone does about C-19, what if it was a real killer contaminate? What would be a safe protocol?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom