• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    No, I've gotten it from the beginning. I just disagree what constitutes infringement.

To me, a cop asking a few questions and checking out the rifle (obviously this will depend on the style of rifle) and taking about a minute of your time is not unreasonable. Nor do I consider it infringement. When they go beyond that... then their ice starts to get thinner.

So I'm checking out at the store, and an LEO sees my credit card. It's fine if he comes up to me and checks it against my ID to make sure it's really mine, and that it's legal? He checks my cash to make sure it's not counterfeit. That's perfectly fine with with you, right?

He's just asking a few questions. Taking a minute of my time.

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    So I'm checking out at the store, and an LEO sees my credit card. It's fine if he comes up to me and checks it against my ID to make sure it's really mine, and that it's legal? He checks my cash to make sure it's not counterfeit. That's perfectly fine with with you, right?

He's just asking a few questions. Taking a minute of my time.

It's not the same thing. He has no reason to believe your card is stolen or your money is fake.

But if you dress as I described, I think there's reasonable cause for concern, based on previous events and experiences.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    It's not the same thing. He has no reason to believe your card is stolen or your money is fake.

But if you dress as I described, I think there's reasonable cause for concern, based on previous events and experiences.

If he has no reason to believe that those are fake or anyway illegal, why is it ok to check out my rifle for the same reason?

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    If he has no reason to believe that those are fake or anyway illegal, why is it ok to check out my rifle for the same reason?

I'll have to think on that. It's a good point. I don't really have an answer other than to guarantee the immediate safety of others.

And to get back to the point, I'm not saying it's not your right... I'm saying it's a bad idea.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'll have to think on that. It's a good point. I don't really have an answer other than to guarantee the immediate safety of others.

And to get back to the point, I'm not saying it's not your right... I'm saying it's a bad idea.

How does it guarantee the safety of anyone? CO shooter had a legal rifle.

Even if they stop you and "check out your rifle" unless they arrest you on false charges they will give you the rifle and ammo back.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    But it does diminish your overall opinion of them, doesn't it?

No. I have the utmost respect for law enforcement. It would diminish my overall opinion of that one particular officer. Like the New Carlisle officer who told me not to carry in my bank. The other 5 officers I've talked to there never told me that. My overall experience was okay, he wasn't rude, just wrong. I corrected him, and went on my way. I don't have a problem with him, but I prefer the other officers, who have never commented on my firearm. I work closely with Mishawaka PD, and they have all been very friendly to me.

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    No. I have the utmost respect for law enforcement. It would diminish my overall opinion of that one particular officer. Like the New Carlisle officer who told me not to carry in my bank. The other 5 officers I've talked to there never told me that. My overall experience was okay, he wasn't rude, just wrong. I corrected him, and went on my way. I don't have a problem with him, but I prefer the other officers, who have never commented on my firearm. I work closely with Mishawaka PD, and they have all been very friendly to me.

Let me clarify a bit... it would diminish my opinion of that department, because they have not corrected an officer that is harassing law-abiding citizens. It wouldn't affect my opinions of LEOs nationwide.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Let me clarify a bit... it would diminish my opinion of that department, because they have not corrected an officer that is harassing law-abiding citizens. It wouldn't affect my opinions of LEOs nationwide.

But maybe they did correct him. People are human. They make mistakes. It doesn't reflect the department.

I am a Soldier. If one guy in my company goes out killing unarmed civilians, that doesn't mean that our company is okay with that. He will no doubt be punished for that. Sure, people will associate us with the mad man, but I think more logically, and understand that some people will do their thing, and not worry about anyone else. It doesn't mean that everyone associated with him condones it.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Lame. If OC was normalized there would be no reaction to get. AntiOCers always rely on shootings around the corner or a full-on exspecial forces bank robbery to prove their points. How cliche.

You nailed it. What's "normal" is all about perception and what's perceived as "normal". The more people who carry, the more the perception of what's normal will include carry. That's where we come into play.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I love how cops are just trained to say "training and experience" as if it makes them an expert. A good line of questioning as to where he got the stupid idea to say something like that would be great.

Top Bottom