• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just a reminder folks. Let's keep this thread on track. There is a serious need for this to be discussed but absolutely no need to argue abortion. It's hard to separate but any discussion on this level needs to remain civil. If so no worries.
    Go off the rails with it and time outs will be the order of the day.

Now let's get on with the meat and potato's here.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Keep it between the ditches folks. When the Roe v Wade riots start I figure a lot of thread-locking will be going on.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Kind of gets ne that the pro choice people act like there will be no more legal abortions anywhere. My understanding is it will only remove the federal govt from the equation and throw abortions back to the states.
    Illinois already has no restrictions on abortion having even done away with parental notification for minors. That state has the goal of being the most abortion friendly state in the union. Even though they have basicly no restrictions that I can see they are talking about what else they can do to make it easier. Illinois even thinks people will relocate there because abortions will be easier to get. There is even discussion of making professional licenses easier to transfer to Illinois to attract potential new residents.
    Although it all seems insane to me I read an article a year or so ago about a family relocating from Montecello Indiana to Danville Illinois because they would be close to a legal source of marijuana.
    It is all political to fire up the democrat base and they will be screaming about it till November. I must change "Leadeye's" standard phrase to fit this more closely. This time follow the power. Jim.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm late to the party, but is there any reason to believe that the leaked document is the actual opinion of the majority versus a possible lone dissenting opinion?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm late to the party, but is there any reason to believe that the leaked document is the actual opinion of the majority versus a possible lone dissenting opinion?
    Chief Justice Roberts confirmed that the document is indeed authentic, but as stated above, it is just a draft, and not necessarily the final decision.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    No, not the final opinion, it's just a draft and has been around since Feb.

Justices still can change their mind/decision on the case.
    Correct....also Judge Roberts also said Obama Care was Unconstitutional in all his writings, drafts and opinion pieces. Then on the day of judgement he changed his mind and voted for Obama Care.

The same thing can happen here also. With this SCOTUS I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of the 3 Trump judges did a flip flop right along with Roberts also. Nobody knows....I know Roberts doesn't know.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Correct....also Judge Roberts also said Obama Care was Unconstitutional in all his writings, drafts and opinion pieces. Then on the day of judgement he changed his mind and voted for Obama Care.

The same thing can happen here also. With this SCOTUS I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of the 3 Trump judges did a flip flop right along with Roberts also. Nobody knows....I know Roberts doesn't know.
    To be clear, the question before the court wasn't "Is Obamacare constitutional?" it was "Does the non-participation penalty amount to a tax?" to which Roberts agreed, yes it amounts to a tax and that is within Congress's authority to legislate and regulate. Not defending Roberts or his judgements but he is very specific and narrow in the scope of his judicial opinions. Just like this topic needs to stay between the lines he stays within the scope of the argument before his court and not make broad sweeping legislation from the bench. Probably how we ended up here anyway, he's never supported an activist court so this is one occasion where he has an opportunity to reverse a former activist court's ruling.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Keep it between the ditches folks. When the Roe v Wade riots start I figure a lot of thread-locking will be going on.
    Did a post get deleted? I didn't see anything between the "meat and potatoes" plea and the lock that I think would necessitate a lock. I'm just trying to figure out where the line is for meat and potatoes.

Top Bottom