• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Yep, perfect would be 300. The X is basically for tie breakers, it counts as 10 points.

Oh yeah, the 10 second part messes with everyone!

flightsimmer

Master
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Thanks again Steve. So is a perfect score 300? What does the 2X & 3X mean? 10 seconds for 10 shots.....that must be neat to see and I bet it ruins a lot of perfect scores.

There is an X ring inside of the center ten ring and is used for breaking ties in scores. The X ring hit still only counts for ten points but is scored 10-1X.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    How do people with revolvers or magazines that hold less than 10 shots accomplish the 10 shots in 10 seconds? Just curious.

flightsimmer

Master
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I had to work tonight and couldn't get thru on the shops phone today, I am limited in how many opportunities I have to call when I'm working and the phone was always busy. I guess that's a good thing but it makes it hard to leave a message with someone.
    I hope it didn't cause any problems for anyone.
    I guess I shoud have posted a note on here to let everyone know, it might have been better.
    Well I hpoe all went well tonight and everyone had a good time.
    See you next week.

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Well, Dan, we missed you, the guys had to settle for the "B-team" timer (me) :laugh:

Had a new shooter tonight, my old GSSF buddy, Marvin Hinkle. He turned in a pretty decent score, too.

T. Dobbs shot .22 pistol and got a 249-1X and a 243-2X
    M. Hinkle shot .22 pistol and got a 237 and 229-3X
    R. Combs shot .22 pistol and got a 232 and 224
    R. Voland shot a .22 pistol & .45ACP and scored 233 & 164
    W. Pulley shot .38 & .357 and got a 100 & 156. He has some barrel leading issues to work out.
    J. Hirt shot .22 pistol & .22 rifle and got a 74 & 187
    C. Brinson shot .22 rifle and got a 228 & 222

Thanks to all of you who came out. I think everyone had fun, I know I did!

flightsimmer

Master
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    It was another great evening at the range tonight.
    It was almost as nice outside as it was in the range.
    Good sleeping weather too.
    Well Mr. Hinkle took first and second place tonight
    with a score of 272-4X and 264-3X in .22 cal.
    Chuck Brinson was third with 253-2X with a .22 rifle, followed by
    Robert Combs with 251-2X, .22 cal.
    Chuck Brinson with 247-2X with a .22 rifle
    Tom Dobbs with 246-2X, .22 cal.
    Tom Dobbs with 238-2X, .22 cal.
    Rob Voland 234, 22 cal.
    Rob Voland 152, 9mm
    Robert Combs 131-1X, 38 spl.
    Wallace Pulley with 127, 38 spl.
    Wallace Pulley with 117-1X, 9mm

I would like you to notice all of the X's we had tonight.
    We'll see you all again next week, have a great week.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Just now learning about this. Tuesday is the one day a week I work late, so doubt I could participate unless day of week changes.

May I make one suggestion? Could the results and feedback for each week be posted in it's own thread (I.E. "League 8/20/2013 Thread")? That way information on how the league works, rules, etc. could be kept in a separate thread. It's kind of tough reading though multiple pages to find out information about the league that is interspersed with all of the individual week feedback.

Also, has any thought been given to doing it as an actual league? What I mean is more of "season" rather than each individual week being it's own results. There are a couple of options, but maybe run a 12-week league where participants are expected to shoot 10 scores. That would allow folks to miss a week or two without penalty. Also, scores would accumulate. Rather than award range time each week, it could be collected at end for various prizes like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, most improved shooter, best all around good guy/gal, etc. I just think a "Season" concept might encourage more week-to-week participation.

As noted, I probably can very rarely make Tuesday anyway, but I think this is great that you are organizing this and I wanted to give some feedback on how awesome this is. If the day of week ever changes, please shoot me a PM as a heads up. I would really like to do something like this.

flightsimmer

Master
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Home, home on the range. Aw yes, it was getting hot and muggy outside this evening but it was cool and dry in the range, very nice.
    I noticed that the showroom had a very nice sellection of firearms this evening. They even have some Cimarron Arms in stock now.
    I seldom take time to look around the store because I'm busy cleaning, but tonight I spent some time just looking at what they have to offer and it is great and getting better.

Well now, let's get to the scores of this evenings match.
    M. Hinkle took 1st. and 2nd. place this evening with 277-7X and 273-6X in.22 cal. followed by
    Tom Dobbs with 258-2X in .22
    Rob Voland with 242-4X
    Tom Dobbs with 237 in .22 cal.
    Rob Voland with 208-1X in 9mm and
    W. Pulley with 97 in 9mm

Have a great week everybody.

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    M. Hinkle .22 pistol 273-7x & 258-3x

R. Combs .22 pistol & .22 rifle 229-1x (p) 270-5x (r)

C. Brinson .22 rifle 232, 246-3x

R. Voland .22 pistol 229, 9mm pistol 187

W. Pulley .22 pistol 183-1x, 9mm pistol 166-1x

And a good time was had by all!

Last edited:

sjstill

Master
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Results from 9/3/13;

C. Brinson .22 rifle 242-2x, 220-1x

N. Frink .22 pistol 189, 100

W. Pulley 9mm 215, .38 revolver 147

R. Voland 9mm 143, .22 pistol 241

B. Brumbaugh .22 pistol 284-8x, 263-3x Great shooting, Brian!

M. Hinkle .22 pistol 276-6x, 267-5x

I. Hinkle .22 pistol 286-6x, 269-1x

Some great shooting guys!

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Results from 9/10/13

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in posting the scores.

Boy Tuesday morning when I was cleaning the showroom at the gun shop it was huuuuuuuuuuumid and hot so I went back to the range and cooled off in the cool dry air for a few minutes so I could get my breath and it was just as nice that evening also.
    That's just one of the really nice things about this range.

Well OK, down to business.

Brian Brumbaugh in .22cal took top honors with a 288-9X and 280-8X.
    Next was
    Mr. Hinkle in .22cal with 280 and 276-2X
    Robert Combs in .22cal shot 279 and 223
    Chuck Brinson in .22 rifle shot 247-1X and 226
    Woody Burton in .40cal shot a 158-3X and 154
    Rob Voland in .45 ACP shot a 140 and in 9mm shot a 159
    Wallace Pulley in 38 spl shot a 124

So there you have it, the scores are getting better.
    Have a great week everybody.

flightsimmer

Master
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Sorry I didn't make it again tonight, I didn't even get back into town untill nearly 6:00 and it was too late to ask if I could get off early. Hopefully next week I'll make it.

flightsimmer

Master
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Hi guys and girls.
    Well I was able to get off early from work last night so I could make it to the shoot, Steve was off with a terrible migraine headache and couldn't make it.

We had a new shooter last night and he did well considering he had new sights that were not zeroed, he shot a 206-1X.
    I don't remember his name because I'm getting old and he didn't sign his target but let's all make him feel welcome.
    Robert Combs took top honors with 281-7X in .22 rifle and 237-2X in .22 pistol.
    Rob Voland shot 185-1X and 168-1X in .45 cal.
    Wallace Pulley shot 145-1X and 127-1X in 9mm

I noticed there were some new light bulbs on the range and they changed the filters this weekend and we had great air flow.
    I couldn't help but notice how much smoke was going down range away from the shooters, nice!
    Have a great week everyone and we'll see you next week.

flightsimmer

Master
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    People use both irons and dots, just like NRA bullseye. But actual Bullseye rapid fire is only 5 shots in 10 seconds (because they are shooting one-handed). Here, because of the 10 shots in 10 seconds strings, most people are going to shoot two-handed, especially in the big calibers.

Crazy world, though, when shooting .22lr is comparable in price to shooting centerfire reloads!

You know, we can change the way we run the shoot if need be.
    We could do 2 rounds of 5 shots in 10 seconds, that might boost the scores for everybody and it would help even out things for those who shoot revolver or autos with less than 10 rounds.
    We can try it next week. Were not following any specific hard set NRA or competition rules and it's all about helping shooters get better.​

flightsimmer

Master
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Twangbanger
    I could go for that...then I could practice .45 one-handed without it turning into a complete jerk-fest! If you're not getting surprise breaks on every shot, you're just practicing mistakes.

Did folks shoot all calibers of guns when you ran that league before, Dan, or did they mostly shoot .22?

It was strictly .22cal back then and some used what you would call race guns but that was mostly because there were no indoor ranges that could handle calibers higher than .22 long rifle in Indy. "The Gun Room" range could handle larger calibers but the rules were already set when it came into existance and they just left it like that.
    Originally it was three calibers, .22 rimfire, .38 center fire and .45 major caliber and I believe still is in NRA competition, you had to have all three calibers or you could shoot .45 ACP as your centerfire caliber if you cared too. Now that gets expensive so when people started asking about shooting teams after Beech Grove Firearms and Range opened I thought it might be better to start out with a "Shoot what you got" approach since guns and ammo have gotten so expensive or to be correct, our money has lost so much "value" that it is becoming worthless. That way more people could afford to get involved and 30 shots is easier to afford.
    Then, if enough people liked it, it might grow into something more in the future. So, that is where we are right now.​

Top Bottom