• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Getting back into reloading with a Dillon 550. Purchased some .45acp 230 grain RN from the Indiana Bullet Company at the Indy1500 Saturday.

While loading Saturday night, bullets are sometimes sticking in station 3, the seating die. I have to field strip the die and knock the bullet out with a punch. Lubing the bullets (Hornady One Shot) does not seem to help.

This problem does not occur with plated bullets that I have used before.

What am I doing wrong?:dunno:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Getting back into reloading with a Dillon 550. Purchased some .45acp 230 grain RN from the Indiana Bullet Company at the Indy1500 Saturday.

While loading Saturday night, bullets are sometimes sticking in station 3, the seating die. I have to field strip the die and knock the bullet out with a punch. Lubing the bullets (Hornady One Shot) does not seem to help.

This problem does not occur with plated bullets that I have used before.

What am I doing wrong?:dunno:

Bullets might be a shade oversized. Not want you want to hear, but it could help to size them down. :twocents:

ETA: On second thought, it's probably the Dillon. Let me take it off your hands to help out:D

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have had this problem before but hard to day if you are experiencing the same cause. Bullet lube was transferring to the bullet seating punch and due to the shape of the punch was actually creating a suction on the nose of the bullet. This only happened with one brand of bullet and the fix for me was to stop and clean that bullet seating punch every 20-30 rounds.

The oversize bullet suggestion above also makes sense. Just wondering if you measured them yet to see. I love to reload but I don't love reloading non-plated lead bullets.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Check your die and see if is is full of that blue waxy lube. I had the same problem with some 9mm bullets and had to remove the dies and scrape the blue lube out every 150 rounds or so.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Try cleaning the seater inside, the actual plug that pushes the bullet.

Sometimes excess lube can build up on those and cause this to happen. If this is the trouble clean it up and see if it happens again. If so them look at the bullets and see if there is excess lube on them and clean them up a bit. Also pull a bullet then take a caliper and see if the seating die is squeezing the bullets down and changing their diameter. Sometimes a lead bullet can come out softer than expected making it possible to squeeze them down. This would also squirt the lube out f the case and onto the seating plug. If this is found contact iN Bullet as they had some softer than usual media come in and before they found out about it, bullets went out. I found out some of my order was soft and they are sending me replacements now that they have found the problem and corrected it.

They are a young company and as they learn more about the business this sort of thing will stop happening.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Kirk, don't "down size" the bullets to fix a die problem. The bullet to barrel bore relationship is what gives you accuracy and dependability.

BTW a bullet sizing die is simply a slightly tapered hole that ends at a specific diameter. A press mounted punch pushes the bullet all the way through the die, so it ends up the final diameter. When I was a bullet caster, I used a Saeco sizer/luber. Too small of a bullet (only a couple of thousandths can make a big difference) is really a problem. A cast bullet requires a bigger diameter to properly seal as it enters the rifling so there can be the proper "squish" to build the pressure and velocity. A loose fitting cast bullet will lead the bore terribly as it skids across the rifling and blow by gases melt and deform the sides of the bullet.

When you have a bullet stick in the seater die, can you tell if the bullet is binding on the sides or is the tip sticking in wax build up? I used a Dillon with cast bullets for years and never once stuck one. Do you have another brand of seater die to try?

I have just loaded several hundred IBC bullets for the .45 using Lee Dies with no problems.

Last edited:

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Either you die is gunked up or its a bullet problem.

FWIW I tried some Ind Bullet Co projectiles once, never again. I can get a MUCH better product from Missouri Bullet for pretty much the same $$, or cast my own that are better quality for a LOT less $$$

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I load alot of IN bullet co stuff. Sometimes the lube can build up on your punch and cause them to stick. What kind of die are you using? My 550 I run Dillon dies I just watch for the build up to start and the new dies a pin pull and quick clean and back in service. I doubt that you have oversize bullets if they have been lubed you would be having other issues in the crimp station if they were too big.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    FWIW I tried some Ind Bullet Co projectiles once, never again. I can get a MUCH better product from Missouri Bullet for pretty much the same $$, or cast my own that are better quality for a LOT less $$$

I had the same experience. The IBC bullets I bought had blue lube all over the place and were so sticky it felt like they were coated in pancake syrup.

I'm using moly-coated bullets from Precision Bullets now. Low price, high quality.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    The solution is to do what I said earlier, pull a couple bullets, unless you have a hardness tester and see if they are softer than advertised. If so they will replace them for free. Soft bullets can act as I said earlier.

This is a young company. I guess if you would rather drop them because you can't be bothered, do it. The guys are trying to make us bullets right here in IN and this happens to new companies. The test is if they take care of you when something goes wrong.

I don't get squat for defending them, just like to support the new guy in OUR state as they continue to better things. Imagine trying to do this for the first time in a run on every thing firearm? I think they're doing a great job considering...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    warthog, I'm with ya, sir.

I bought the bullets from "Big Mitch" at the Indy1500. I am always happy to help new companies, especially Indiana ones.

As a re-starting reloading newbie (used to reload in high school and undergrad), I want to ensure that I am not messing up, always a concern.:D

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Kirk. Try tossing a few hundred at a time in a large jar with some talcum or mica powder. It makes the the bullets much less tacky and easier to handle.

Top Bottom