• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Kirk, have you measured the bullet diameter?

P.S. I have nothing but good to say about Missouri Bullet Co. Also, they have a choice of 12 BHN and 18 BHN in many of their bullets.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    chez, so, like a hardward store or a _______ store? Say I am cruising home to the fashionable North End of Lafayette where all the cool kids kick it. Where do I stop to buy mica (good grief, I had to wiki mica).

Kirk, have you measured the bullet diameter?

No, but I can next weekend when I am scheduled to reload again. Do you think .451 or .452 will matter?:dunno:

P.S. I have nothing but good to say about Missouri Bullet Co. Also, they have a choice of 12 BHN and 18 BHN in many of their bullets.

Does not one want a higher Brinell score? Or do you use the low score for cowboy loads and such (close at steel)?

Guys, thanks much I am still feeling my way (no doubt I need a class). I used to reload in high school and undergrad but got away from it.

Obama not only sells guns, but he got me back into reloading and stimulated Arizona's economy.:D

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    No, but I can next weekend when I am scheduled to reload again. Do you think .451 or .452 will matter?:dunno:

Most .45 ACP lead bullets are sized at 0.452". If you want to get really picky, then "slug the bore" with a pure lead slug and measure, then use bullets 0.001" to 0.002" larger than the groove diameter. If your bullets measure 0.454" (for example) you might need to size them.

Jacketed bullets are usually 0.451" for the .45 ACP. For the .45 Colt jacketed bullets are usually 0.452" and lead bullets vary, usually from 0.452" to 0.454"

Does not one want a higher Brinell score? Or do you use the low score for cowboy loads and such (close at steel)?

explanation --> Missouri Bullet Company - Bullet Hardness

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I . . . have . . . so . . . much . . . to . . . learn.

Follow the suggestions of Kludge and you will be so far ahead... For years, I mistakenly thought that the harder the bullet, the better. If I saw even the beginning of what I thought was leading, I would assume the bullet wasn't hard enough or I was driving it too fast. The link Kludge provided is very good info on the relationship between the hardness of your bullet and your intended use.

Most .45 ACP lead bullets are sized at 0.452". If you want to get really picky, then "slug the bore" with a pure lead slug and measure, then use bullets 0.001" to 0.002" larger than the groove diameter. If your bullets measure 0.454" (for example) you might need to size them.

Jacketed bullets are usually 0.451" for the .45 ACP. For the .45 Colt jacketed bullets are usually 0.452" and lead bullets vary, usually from 0.452" to 0.454"

explanation --> Missouri Bullet Company - Bullet Hardness

That link is good info ! Until things change here, I will buy my cast bullets. With a 14 yr old son and wife enjoying shooting as much as I do, casting my own will have to wait. I buy either from Missouri or Dardas. Missouri is great because they often times give you a range of hardness to choose from. Dardas doesn't usually give you that same choice but they often times do give you more options as far as bullet diameter.

Dead-Eye Mike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Evansville
    I also wanted to support our bullet company from Indiana. But I will NEVER buy any more bullets from Indiana Bullet Company. My first order was missing half of the blue lube. After weeks waiting for the replacement order the blue lube covered not only the lube slot but a lot of lube was on the bullet. It has caused problems when reloading and also jammed my 1873 lever action during CAS last Saturday. The blue lube that was sticking in the #3 die caused some of the bullets to pull back out just a little. I do spot check my reloads but not every one of them. Their customer service is also a JOKE. Good luck if you continue to buy from them.

With that said if they can get their act together and produce good quality bullets and the complaints stop I may reconsider doing business with them again.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have to take the die out every so often and scrape the lube off. Sucks but what can you do. They are so cheap I cant complain much. Hard cast are the only bullets I shoot now across the board.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have to take the die out every so often and scrape the lube off.

Olive oil from California Olive Ranch from the Fresh Market in Broad Ripple.

California Extra Virgin Olive Oil | California Olive Ranch

No, really stop laughing. I used olive oil on a q-tip and lubed the seating die on my Dillon. Works great so far. This weekend will be a major reloading weekend so I should really test it out.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Kirk, put it in 2 oz bottles and label it as "Kirk's Kustom Die Lube" and sell it for $5 per bottle, you will be able to take a few more days off work every month.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Think I have a handle on this now!

Buddy came over this afternoon. Apparently I did not have as much flare on the case as I needed for a lead bullet. This took the OAL down some but there is no smurf puke on the case when I complete it and none of the rounds that I loaded tonight stuck in the third station!

Should have know, a noob at the controls.:D Got it figured out for the cost of a Yuengling.

I will shoot them next weekend when someone gets back from Tennessee and report back.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The amount of flare is a tricky one to get right when first loading. Seems like mine were like the liberty bell or nothing at all.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    When I am loading .45acp, mine sticks sometimes, it's a pain taking the die apart, cleaning the built up lube from the inside of the die, and resetting the die. So far .45 acp is the only cal that this has happened.

Dave

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Top Bottom