• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harrisonpainter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Great topic, as I am in process of helping my wife make this same decision.

She is leaning towards the BG as it fit better in her hand and she said it just felt more comfortable for her. At the end of the day, that is what matters most (well, after making sure the gun is of quality build so that when you pull it goes bang of course!).

It just seems to make sense that if she is comfortable with it, she will carry it with more confidence and have a better chance of protecting herself if needed.

I also felt that the BG was more comfortable, and would carry it myself and feel confident if my wardrobe that day did not allow for something larger. I did like the LCP, but it just seemed to get lost in the palm of my hand.

So basically, while reviews are great to research the quality and reliability of a firearm, the rest is about being secure with what you carry, and only the person buying the gun can make that decision.

I recommend to at least hold both of them and see what feels best for you. Heck, if it were up to me my wife would carry a G23, but I know that it just isn't the right fit for her, her wardrobe, and her lifestyle.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County
    Just to stir the pot.....I LOVE my Taurus TCP. Same basic pistol; tiny .380 auto with a 6 round magazine. It also has a slide lock on empty, and a loaded chamber indicator. I stuck the Crimson Trace laser on mine, and I have to say, its a great little backup piece.

Never had an issue out of it. Not a one; same as with my other 5 Taurus firearms. And the price point is about the same as the LCP. Just something to think about.

Taurus-TCP-Palm-Sized.jpg

This was my choice for a pocket 380 - it's been flawless.

jchaplin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I have the Ruger LCP. My hand is large and this little thing is swimming in there. It is very reliable out of the box. Shooting at 7 yards, I have a hard time keeping all 6 rounds on an 8 inch target. But this little pocket pistol is for up close and personal encounters. If you need to put one out further than that, do you realy need to?
    I like the size and concealability. It does leave a little trace in your pocket. You might think about a wallet typre holster. The fit and finish is hands down better than the Keltec.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    I've owned both and I still have the BG... It has just enough extra bulk to tame it down more than the LCP... That was my wife's opinion too after shooting both...

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    What RobbLG says about the extra bulk taming the BG more than the LCP has been my experience. The true DA trigger is a trade off, just a bit heavier, but giving double strike capability, something that the LCP or Kel-tec do not have.

john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm a fan of the bodyguard. It's shot flawlessly for me, 600 rounds. I like the sights, shape, trigger, safety, and slide lock much better than the lcp. And that built in laser is very nice.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Rugers-Just-Work-Period

Until-They're-Recalled. ;)

The BG 380 has vastly superior dovetailed in sites that are removable and can be replaced with nite sights, etc.

Cool! Show me some replacement sights that are available.

The laser is part of the purchase price

Yep. They should release a version without the laser at about the $300 mark to more directly compete with Kel-Tec and Ruger. As it is, I'd be paying $50-70 extra for a built-in "feature" I don't want.

you say it can't be seen past 7 yards in daylight. I disagree on this due to experience

I disagree with your disagreement, also due to experience. Took a BG380 to the range about two weeks ago. Dark-colored target at 7 yards in full sunlight, me in shadow. I could barely make out the dancing dot.

but I also think this weapon is a CQ self defense pistol designed on all levels for 7 yards and closer anyway.

Problem is, the laser can't be seen beyond 7 yards in daylight, and its use inside that distance is inadvisable, as well. That is, if you're in a gunfight at 7 yards and you're looking for that laser dot on your target, you're already WAY behind the curve. That leaves you with a VERY small window of use (indoors or in low light, at distances greater than 7 yards). Is that worth the extra $$ that you're paying? That's something every potential buyer has to decide for him or herself, based on an honest assessment of need. Unfortunately if the answer is "no," the potential buyer is forced to either look at a different make/model, or spend extra money on a feature he doesn't want and won't use.

The addition of a CT Laser would set you back another $210 + shipping!

We sell them for $189.95. ;)

This might give you adj and controls that the S&W has (which is arguable) but it would set you back a lot of money and give you distance that the gun is not designed for.

What the CTC unit would give you is a laser that is 1) fast and intuitive to activate under stress (grab the gun, laser comes on; no need to use your trigger finger or off-hand to mash a small button on the side of the receiver), and 2) of proven design and quality. Every BG380 I've had to send back for service has been due to a failure of the laser electronics (mainly the pushbuttons). I have yet to send a CTC unit of any sort back for repair. I'm not big on laser sights in the first place, but IME the Crimson Trace unit is FAR superior in design and quality.

As for "give you distance that the gun is not designed for," the CTC on an LCP or P3AT would not give you any more "distance" than the Insight laser on the BG380. Not sure what you're trying to say here. :scratch:

Last edited:

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Last edited:

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    $310 plus transfer is a good price for the bodyguard . I paid $330 and love the gun. all my friends want one now . one sold his ruger to get a S&W

Solidgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    I have both and I really don't think I would use the laser on the bodyguard. I have been to many training courses and just not trained to use the laser.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I gotta say LCP. It's slim, fits nicely in my hand, good capacity (6+1) reliable, I find it to be easily controllable even without the pinky extension and accurate (fist size groups at 15 feet). I don't find it unpleasant to shoot at all. I got mine for under $300 NIB out the door, goes with me everywhere. It eats Remington Golden Sabres like candy as well as PMC. I gotta say it's been my favorite EDC pistol. Sure, the sights are pretty non existent but it's pretty much a point and shoot pistol anyway. As you can tell I REALLY, REALLY enjoy this pistol. I have had a P3AT and got rid of it because it just didn't fit me well. I personally found there to be a difference between the two and for me the Ruger wins!!!!

Top Bottom